Toledo-made Jeep Gladiator wins Truck of the Year Award

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toledo-made Jeep Gladiator wins Truck of the Year Award

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,013 Times in 4,308 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Toledo-made Jeep Gladiator wins Truck of the Year Award

JAY SKEBBA
    The Blade
    [email protected]
    JAN 13, 2020 9:56 AM
    Years of planning and conceptualizing went into Jeep's first pickup truck since the early 1990s, and an announcement made Monday indicates Fiat Chrysler got it right with the newest member of the family.

The Toledo-built Jeep Gladiator was named the 2020 North American Truck of the Year at a news conference at the TCF Center in Detroit.

This is the 26th year of the awards, and the Gladiator, made at the Toledo Assembly Complex, captured the title in its first year of production. The coveted award was decided by 50 automotive journalists from the United States and Canada.

"The Jeep Gladiator is not only the world's most capable midsize pickup, it's now the North American Truck of the Year as well," said Jim Morrison, head of the Jeep brand for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles North America. "This honor is a testament to our customers who demand the very best and the Gladiator delivers with all of the 4x4 capability and versatility expected of a Jeep vehicle."

Gladiator sells well in May; overall Jeep sales down
    Fiat Chrysler unveiled Jeep's first pickup truck since 1992 in December, 2018, at the Los Angeles Auto Show. 2020 models began rolling off the Toledo assembly lines in April.

Jeep produced 4,190 Launch Edition Gladiators in March, an ode to the 419 area code. Those models were priced at $62,310, however the base Sport model with manual transmission starts at $35,000.

Former Toledo Assembly Complex plant manager and Jeep Fest organizer Jerry Huber was excited to learn the news of the award.

"It's a good reflection of the work force in Toledo," Mr. Huber said. "We featured it at Jeep Fest last year and the reception was overwhelming — probably the most excitement for a Jeep vehicle in a long time."

Jeep Gladiator Brand Manager Brandon Girmus said the formula for the Gladiator was to create a true pickup truck with all the characteristics of a Jeep.

"We like to say Gladiator is 100 percent truck, 100 percent Jeep," Mr. Girmus said. "We took the best attributes of our Jeep products — like the off-road capability, open air freedom, iconic design — and then we added real truck credentials. Gladiator can tow best in class 7,650 pounds, it can also haul a best in class 1700 pounds. That was really our formula from the beginning and winning this award says that we got it perfectly."

Jeep enthusiasts spent years clamoring for a pickup truck since the Comanche was discontinued in 1992.

Fiat Chrysler revitalized the Gladiator name from a pickup of the same name that roamed the streets between 1963 and 1972. Media reports initially called it the Scrambler, but Jeep executives said the Gladiator was more fitting because it was a true truck versus the Scrambler, which was a Wrangler with a small pickup bed.

Mr. Girmus said the response from Jeep enthusiasts regarding the Gladiator has been tremendous.

"It's something we teased out with a ton of really cool concept trucks over the last decade and a half, and every time we came out with one of those, the response was always overwhelming," he said. "Lots of people said things like 'Shut up and take my money.' So it's very rewarding to give those fans the Jeep pickup they've been craving for the last 25 years."

The Gladiator is equipped with several features never before seen on a Jeep, including a removable Bluetooth speaker and an off-road camera that projects what’s in front of the truck onto the radio screen. Mr. Girmus was tight-lipped on what’s next for the Gladiator, but said there is “cool stuff in the pipeline.”

A diesel-powered Gladiator will be available in 2020. The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel is the same engine now available for the Wrangler.

Jeep sold 16,663 Gladiators in the fourth quarter, bringing the 2019 total to 40,047. Mr. Girmus said that number met the company's expectations, especially considering most dealerships didn't build sufficient inventory until August.

Like its Wrangler sibling, the Gladiator has removable doors, a fold-down windshield, and removable roof.

All versions are 4x4, with industry-leading crawl ratios for traversing tough terrain and the ability to traverse through 30 inches of water.

Last month, the United Auto Workers ratified a four-year deal with FCA. The contract calls for Fiat Chrysler to invest $160 million into Toledo's North Assembly Plant and $120 million to the south plant to keep manufacturing the Gladiator.

"Any additional investment is a positive indicator they see a strong future for the plant and the work force," Mr. Huber said.

UAW Local 12 President Bruce Baumhower did not respond to a request for comment.

https://www.toledoblade.com/business...es/20200113102

I think I saw one of these this morning. If manly-man, macho macho, and military-military are what's selling, this one should go out the door like free money.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Toledo-made Jeep Gladiator wins Truck of the Year Award

New Now Next. Just because it won the award does not necessarily mean it's the best truck out there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Vagon11 (01-14-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,250 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Newnownext. Just because it won the award does not necessarily mean it's the best truck out there.
    it IS the BEST for a certain buyer and hopefully for FCA there are enough of them with $50K in there jeans as it is EXPENSIVE, VERY VERY EXPENSIVE
    TRD PRO with desert snorkel expensive for a SPORT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-15-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,337 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

When they hand out these awards to things like the Honda Ridgeline it makes you wonder about the legitimacy of the award .......
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    When they hand out these awards to things like the Honda Ridgeline it makes you wonder about the legitimacy of the award .......
    I agree. It makes them look like a bunch of wussy city slickers or something.

Thanks
    My Ride

I agree. It makes them look like a bunch of wussy city slickers or something.
    Correct. REAL MEN don't drive sissy vehicles, they ride mules and carry shotguns.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Correct. REAL MEN don't drive sissy vehicles, they ride mules and carry shotguns.
    You wouldn't happen to be related to Granny from Beverly Hillbillies would you?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sierra

Is that tiny box big enough to even carry the award?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '15 Impala 2LTZ silver topaz

I recently saw a Gladiator towing a car on a Uhaul trailer. Not a large car, either. The car has to set on the trailer with the front wheels all the forward on the rails to strap it down. The Gladiator's front end was reaching for the sky! What a poor excuse for a tow vehicle.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by rustywrench View Post
    Is that tiny box big enough to even carry the award?
    7K towing as long as there is NOTHING inside the cab SHOULD get it home

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by 1954 Chevy View Post
    I recently saw a Gladiator towing a car on a Uhaul trailer. Not a large car, either. The car has to set on the trailer with the front wheels all the forward on the rails to strap it down. The Gladiator's front end was reaching for the sky! What a poor excuse for a tow vehicle.
    IMHO it is as they say 100% jeep and NOT 100% superduty

16. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

CJH (01-15-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    IMHO the RIDGELINE "pushes the boundaries" of what is a truck and IMHO that is a good thing (not the ridgeline but offering something different)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '15 Impala 2LTZ silver topaz

If the Gladiator is rated to tow 7000 lbs, it should be able to handle a Uhaul trailer & car that might weigh 5500 total.

Thanks
    My Ride

You wouldn't happen to be related to Granny from Beverly Hillbillies would you?
    Gol dern it, don't let that get around!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sierra

How did it do on the Ike Gauntlet? See for your self:

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/05/the...-3-ep-1-video/

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast