GM Inside News Forum banner

TheAutoextremist - Advertising theme lines: The Good, The Bad, The Nonsensical and Th

836 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Quixote88 
#1 ·
From PDL, the latest from http://www.autoextremist.com/

Detroit. The taglines automakers use in their advertising have always held a certain fascination for me. How did they arrive at them? What’s the thinking behind them? Or more accurately and in some cases, what were they thinking?

Maybe it’s because I was in the business for so long and worked on my share of them, or maybe it’s because I know what goes into coming up with these lines and how it can be an excruciatingly slow and painful process, but it always remains a favorite subject of mine.

At the very least these lines reflect the state of the company, but even more so they often mirror the societal moment the advertising is created in.

But not always.

For instance, the upward trajectory of America in the wide-open late 50s and early 60s was perfectly captured by Chevrolet’s “See the U.S.A. in Your Chevrolet” tagline, complete with Dinah Shore singing the song. With the country in the midst of blue-sky thinking and limitless imagination, it was one of the most popular automotive ad themes of all time.

More at the link.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I have to agree with him on Acura's "Made for Mankind" campaign... I saw an ad for the MDX last night and wondered if it was supposed to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek... Nope, it seems they are serious about this insipid campaign...

The rest of the tag lines, however, have been discussed to death on this site, so I'll leave them alone for now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.