To retire or not to retire?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To retire or not to retire?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

To retire or not to retire?

No...not me. Though, if I could retire now...I would. I have a LOT I'd LOVE to be doing...he heh.

But, no...this is about retiring a daily driver ... specifically an older daily driver. I got to thinking about this as I washed/waxed my '87 MC LS today, a far cry from what I was doing LAST Saturday:
    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...esnpics-67507/

At least tomorrow I'll be driving my older 4 MCs....

Yes, I'm looking for a winter beater right now...but, I'm wondering if I should retire the '87 MC LS from daily status altogether. I don't really want to....but, well, maybe it'd be better.

So...for those driving older cars (older than 1995, including 1970-1988 MCs)...

Why keep daily driving your car?

Have you thought about getting something newer? If so...why? If not...why not?

And...for those that have retired an older car (1995 and older, including 1970-1988 MCs) and bought something newer...

What led you to that decision? What was the major factor?

What did you get newer? Are you glad you retired and replaced your daily driver?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
    WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
    "It's different now" ... Conway Twitty ... 'Goodbye Time'

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: To retire or not to retire?

Quote Originally Posted by knightfan26917 View Post

And...for those that have retired an older car (1995 and older, including 1970-1988 MCs) and bought something newer...

What led you to that decision? What was the major factor?

What did you get newer? Are you glad you retired and replaced your daily driver?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
    WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
    "It's different now" ... Conway Twitty ... 'Goodbye Time'
    My 1990 Mark VII was an impulse buy....... Got me to and from work, around town and carried me + all my belongings back home from school.

The major factor was of course, the sudden failure in my brake system which I have still been unable to conclusively diagnose (though I'd bet double or nothing it's the power brake booster).

Though I haven't sold it yet, I have two main reasons for doing so:

1) Will be starting school (for the last time) here in 3 wks. Will most likely be driving 200mi per week (round trip--home to school and back, T/TH) for the next 9 months......not to mention doing the back/forth to work those other 5 nights. Being that my Mark has 176,191mi on the odometer.....doesn't take much to figure out it wouldn't hold up that long.

2) My current job doesn't afford me enough extra cash to maintain my 'silver bullet'. My dad isn't exactly thrilled about letting it take up space in the garage either.

I'm not exactly glad I had to retire my Mark, I'm just pragmatic/realistic. Something with 75-85K miles, in sound mechanical shape, would be better suited to my driving needs (and budget).

If you're happy driving the '87 on a daily basis.....if it's still holding up pretty well and you're financially able to keep it in good shape, why not keep driving it?? FWD MC's are out of the question and the remaining RWD'ers in good shape are getting harder and harder to find (for a reasonable price).
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Why not get something that's super reliable and just drive that when you're not feeling the '87? That way you can get something that's pretty new that'll stay reliable that you're not an enthusiast about and still have the option to drive the '87.

That's what I do with the SS and Jeep! I'm not afraid to get the SS wet or anything but I won't drive it straight out in the rain if it's clean. It's also nice if you're going somewhere with crappy roads, you don't have to worry about messing up the MC since you can just drive something else.

Plus, when you spread the gas bill out over two cars that just you drive you feel like you're not using as much fuel
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

I'm sort of cheating here but it is nearly time for Victoria (my beloved Vectra) to front up to the jury. I just clocked 200,000kms the other day and things are starting to go a little pear shaped. I can probably sell her and get slightly more than I owe but a replacement would have to be cheap due to the impending building of my house. The whole reason I made the purchase was based on my high mileage for my job. I replaced a 94 Commodore wagon that was also long in the tooth with 285000ks. Whilst I've loved all my cars, some times practicality outweighed the passion.

Having said that, this time around, I'll probably go backwards in age, possibly back to where I started with a mid to early 90s Commodore wagon, the idea being I'll need to carry building materials and the like. The upshot of older vehicles is their simplicity and something like a 3800 Commodore is easy/cheap to repair.

When it comes down to it, retiring something you love is tough, but are you going to pass it on to a new owner or just to the garage? The reason I ask is I love Victoria but driving her into the ground is becoming cruel. It all depends on how you view mortality and whether your MC should fade away or pass on serving her purpose.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Cars hate to sit and don't age very well, especially if they do not live indoors. Once you quit driving them regularly they really age fast which is the exact opposite of what you would think you are doing by retiring it to "save it". I say drive it until it's dead and get rid of it because it's not a rare model. If it was an SS then I would say retire it, make it nice, and keep it for weekend duty.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmodys View Post
    Why not get something that's super reliable and just drive that when you're not feeling the '87? That way you can get something that's pretty new that'll stay reliable that you're not an enthusiast about and still have the option to drive the '87.

That's what I do with the SS and Jeep! I'm not afraid to get the SS wet or anything but I won't drive it straight out in the rain if it's clean. It's also nice if you're going somewhere with crappy roads, you don't have to worry about messing up the MC since you can just drive something else.

Plus, when you spread the gas bill out over two cars that just you drive you feel like you're not using as much fuel
    I think knightfan likes Montes too much Maybe try to get a sweetheart deal on a last of line SS V8 model

Me I would only retire a daily driver from major (structural) rust issues. Unless I got bored with the car and could sell it for money(not $1000).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    Cars hate to sit and don't age very well, especially if they do not live indoors. Once you quit driving them regularly they really age fast which is the exact opposite of what you would think you are doing by retiring it to "save it". I say drive it until it's dead and get rid of it because it's not a rare model. If it was an SS then I would say retire it, make it nice, and keep it for weekend duty.
    And that, my friend, is how you make a rare model.
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

Thanks

Badum-tiss

I actually see the SS Montes of that vintage the most. The rarest are the last of the line regular models with the "integrated" headlamps, and I never ever see the turbo V6 models, only seen a few.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 2005 Equinox LS's Avatar
    Thanks

I went new for a daily driver because at the time I wanted FWD for the winter months and dont want my older ones rusting out. Better fuel mileage was also a bonus. Now I may not replace the Equinox right away when I give it back in March but I will sure try to do that before winter season 2009-2010. I would mych rather have FWD/AWD in the winter. My old ones start fine enough in the winter but a new one is much easier to deal with in an extreme situation like sometimes happens here. I am also trying to save my 2 b-bodies and using them as daily drivers in winter goes against that goal. Where I dont care if a new one gets salt on it since they are much more rustproof than the 2 old ones.
    2008 Chevrolet Impala LS.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. "The last full sized RWD Bonneville".

1985 Chevrolet Caprice.

2007 Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.

1986 John Deere Lawn Tractor.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    I think knightfan likes Montes too much
    LOL!

I think you're right.... . Heck, I really can't see myself driving anything other than a Monte Carlo...heh.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    When it comes down to it, retiring something you love is tough, but are you going to pass it on to a new owner or just to the garage? The reason I ask is I love Victoria but driving her into the ground is becoming cruel. It all depends on how you view mortality and whether your MC should fade away or pass on serving her purpose.
    Yes, it is tough, especially when reliability is a factor (see below). No, I would keep the '87 MC LS...it wouldn't go to a new owner.

Regarding "super reliable", I should've clarified:

My '87 MC LS has been more reliable than either of the 2 brand new cars I bought in 1997 (1997 model) and 1999 (2000 model)...so, reliability isn't an issue. it's more an issue of not wanting the car to rust, etc.....

I'll have to think about this a bit more.....

*sighs*

EGG
    Thanks

I'm using the 88 T/A as a daily. It's great fun to drive, the only downside is the km's I'm putting on it. I don't do a lot, only ~20K per year (right now it's on 160K). I don't have to deal with salt, but the car's still not gonna last forever on daily duties.

I'm looking at getting a bike, and then work on fixing the VH to reduce the k's being done on the T/A. From my perspective you'd already be in that position with 4 other MC's to drive (at least in summer), but I guess you might see them as weekend only. Retirement point for me would be:
    - If I found another daily that was equally fun to drive
    - Parts became too difficult to obtain (currently can get almost anything over the net)
    - Petrol stations start closing shop

Get the beater for winter and drive the rest in summer.
    305 TPI WS6 Trans Am
    VH SL/E (gearbox kaboom)

Thanks

My '87 MC LS has been more reliable than either of the 2 brand new cars I bought in 1997 (1997 model) and 1999 (2000 model)...so, reliability isn't an issue. it's more an issue of not wanting the car to rust, etc.....

I'll have to think about this a bit more.....

*sighs*
    You could spend some effort to wash the car in the winter months, spray oil underneath etc if it isn't too much trouble (I usually find it to be ) the major issue with salt-rusting is when you get that white film on everything, if you get it off soon after it appears you should have not too much problems.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

I have never gotten rid of a car for any reason other than it rusted out too much and just wasn't worth saving. If you love it just keep fixing and driving it. I just got rid of my '94 Grand Prix last fall. It had a few other issues but they were easily worth fixing if rust hadn't become a big issue.
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by EGG View Post
    Get the beater for winter and drive the rest in summer.
    *nods*

That's what the plan has been the last couple years ... lol.

And SAS, I do try to keep the '87 MC LS as clean as possible during the winter...that just can be tough to do .

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 2005 Equinox LS's Avatar
    Thanks

*nods*

That's what the plan has been the last couple years ... lol.

And SAS, I do try to keep the '87 MC LS as clean as possible during the winter...that just can be tough to do .

Being in Wisconsin I can atest to that!!!! It can be VERY hard to keep a vehicle clean in the winter.
    2008 Chevrolet Impala LS.

1981 Pontiac Bonneville. "The last full sized RWD Bonneville".

1985 Chevrolet Caprice.

2007 Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor.

1986 John Deere Lawn Tractor.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information