R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 813 Posts

R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

Lee Iacocca, who was president at Ford and Chrysler and supervised the creation of the Mustang, the K-car and the "Magicwagon" (Caravan/Voyager) passed away at the age of 94.
    https://news.yahoo.com/lido-anthony-...011700779.html

From Car and Driver

Lee Iacocca was a salesman. He sold Fords, he sold Chryslers, he sold Chrysler Corporation, and he sold himself. He was the face of American capitalism who, in the great tradition of American capitalism, put the touch on the American government to keep his enterprise going. He was a celebrity CEO when CEOs weren't supposed to be celebrities. Lee Iacocca passed away today at age 94.

"You can have brilliant ideas," he wrote in his best-selling Iacocca: An Autobiography, "but if you can't get them across, your brains won't get you anywhere." Lido Anthony Iacocca could most certainly get an idea across.

He was born in 1924 in Allentown, Pennsylvania, to Nicola Iacocca and his wife, the former Antoinette Perrotta. Allentown was a thriving steel town then, mostly Pennsylvania Dutch but the sort of place where Italian immigrants could find a community to support them and an opportunity to build a life. Nicola Iacocca found his niche running a hot-dog restaurant called the Orpheum Wiener House.

"My father always drilled two things into me," Lee related in his autobiography: "Never get into a capital-intensive business, because the bankers will end up owning you. (I should have paid more attention to this particular piece of advice!) And when times are tough, be in the food business, because no matter how bad things get, people still have to eat. The Orpheum Wiener House stayed afloat all through the Great Depression."

After graduating from Allentown High School, Iacocca earned a degree in industrial engineering from nearby Lehigh University and afterward was hired by Ford as an engineer. But instead of going to work for Ford right away, Iacocca won a Wallace Memorial Fellowship to study engineering at Princeton University for a year and earn a master's degree. So, it was off to New Jersey first. He finally went to work in Dearborn as a student engineer in August 1946.

"The day I arrived, they had me designing a clutch spring," he wrote. "It had taken me an entire day to make a detailed drawing of it, and I said to myself: 'What on earth am I doing? Is this how I want to be spending the rest of my life?' " He wanted to get into sales.

Starting in the Chester, Pennsylvania, regional sales office, Iacocca was soon a rising star at Ford. By 1949, he was a zone manager out of Wilkes-Barre, visiting dealers and learning the business at the retail level. "Learning the skills of salesmanship takes time and effort," he wrote in his autobiography. "You have to practice them over and over again until they become second nature."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (07-03-2019),richmond2000 (07-03-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,983 Times in 3,806 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: R.I.P. Lee Iacocca

A genius. RIP Lee.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-03-2019)

Thanks

I remember seeing him in TV commercials as I child promoting Chrysler, Plymouth and Dodge products. He was an automotive product mastermind who developed, or helped develop, many vehicles we still have today. Mustang and the minivan, for starters. RIP, Mr. Iacocca.
    2017 Ford F-250 Platinum
    2019 Buick Regal TourX
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,785 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

RIP Mr. Iacocca, he was one of the best as far as the automotive industry is concerned.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information