Prius Is No Longer Toyota's Best-Selling Hybrid

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Prius Is No Longer Toyota's Best-Selling Hybrid

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,885 Times in 4,252 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Prius Is No Longer Toyota's Best-Selling Hybrid

Alexander StoklosaWordsJan 3, 2020
    To most people, the word "Prius" is shorthand for hybrid cars in general, sort of like how the "Band-Aid" brand name is used to describe pretty much any sticky bandage. But it appears as though the Toyota Prius's dominance of hybrid culture, such as it is, may be coming to an end. That's because Toyota just revealed its 2019 sales figures, and the Prius no longer is the automaker's top-selling hybrid. So, what is?

Why, the RAV4 hybrid, the gas-electric version of Toyota's RAV4 compact crossover. Perhaps it isn't surprising that the RAV4 hybrid overtook the Prius in sales—the RAV4 nameplate is the best-selling non-truck in America, so even if the hybrid model made up only a small percentage of its overall sales, we're talking about a chunk of a big number. Stir in the RAV4 having just been totally redesigned for 2019, the Prius receiving only a mild update (and newly optional all-wheel drive), and the RAV4's not-weird styling, and, well, sorry Prius.

Toyota says it sold a stunning 92,595 RAV4 hybrids last year, compared to 69,718 Priuses. (A whopping 448,071 regular RAV4s found homes in 2019.) While the RAV4 hybrid sales are, yes, up, Prius sales are down from 87,590 in 2018.

Blame cheap gas and customers' rush to adopt crossovers and SUVs, a trend that affects hybrids as much, it seems, as it does the rest of the automotive industry.

Another factor behind the RAV4 hybrid's sales surge? That the latest model is EPA-rated for 40 mpg combined, a huge improvement over its predecessor's 32-mpg rating. It is probably safe to assume that many buyers see the RAV4 hybrid's 40-mpg number and rationalize that it's close enough to the Prius's 50-56 mpg, depending on trim, while the rest of the RAV4's taller, roomier package suits their needs better.

In fact, a number of recently introduced hybrids from a variety of manufacturers have begun inching closer to or matching the Prius's fuel economy, including the larger and better-to-drive Honda Accord Hybrid (48 mpg combined), as well as the similarly sized but more premium-feeling Honda Insight (52 mpg combined). Hyundai's Prius fighter, the Ioniq hybrid, even beats the Toyota with a 58-mpg combined rating (although its sales are a fraction of the Prius's).

Until gas prices shoot up—not an impossibility with given the day's geopolitical developments with Iran—the Prius is likely to continue fading while more compelling, similarly efficient hybrid alternatives budge their way to the front of the sales line. One thing's nearly for sure, however: We doubt people will begin referring to hybrids as "RAV4s," sales be damned.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...ales-dropping/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,059 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Prius Is No Longer Toyota's Best-Selling Hybrid

Another factor behind the RAV4 hybrid's sales surge? That the latest model is EPA-rated for 40 mpg combined, a huge improvement over its predecessor's 32-mpg rating. It is probably safe to assume that many buyers see the RAV4 hybrid's 40-mpg number and rationalize that it's close enough to the Prius's 50-56 mpg, depending on trim, while the rest of the RAV4's taller, roomier package suits their needs better.
    I think this part is key. Decent mpg's and easier to live with as far as being more useful day to day, says it all.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,133 Times in 4,058 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

And while I don't think the RAV4 is great looking, it is a million times better looking than the Prius. Ugliness might be a factor.

Also, not scientific, but I see a lot of fleet Prius', if a lot go to fleets it could be a big reason in the decline as we know fleet sales can have pretty big swings.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,188 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Even though Toyota Prius (including Prius Prime) sales in the U.S. market are down 20% in CY 2019, the model still outsold all electrified vehicles in the same period from the U.S. sales divisions of Honda, Nissan, General Motors, Hyundai + Kia, Volkswagen, FCA, BMW, and Daimler.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-06-2020),richmond2000 (01-05-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,238 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    And while I don't think the RAV4 is great looking, it is a million times better looking than the Prius. Ugliness might be a factor.

Also, not scientific, but I see a lot of fleet Prius', if a lot go to fleets it could be a big reason in the decline as we know fleet sales can have pretty big swings.
    the RAV4 "fits in" where the Prius will have a level of social "stigma"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,885 Times in 4,252 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Even though Toyota Prius (including Prius Prime) sales in the U.S. market are down 20% in CY 2019, the model still outsold all electrified vehicles in the same period from the U.S. sales divisions of Honda, Nissan, General Motors, Hyundai + Kia, Volkswagen, FCA, BMW, and Daimler.
    And funny, a lot of those folks are so smart that they're bypassing hybrids and going straight electric! Boy is Toyota a bunch of dummies. Wait until they wake up!

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    the RAV4 "fits in" where the Prius will have a level of social "stigma"
    Pious is cool in the Hollywood Set types. What else, really, is important?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (01-06-2020)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information