I attended the GM Powertrain open house in Tonanwanda, NY.
I thought it would be cool if others shared any information or thoughts on other open houses.
Here are my thoughts with suggested headings:
About the open house event:
1. Very well attended.
2. All employees were extremely nice.
3. Test drives of Corvette, Camaro Convertible, Volt and others available.
4. Tour of 2.4 Ecotec assemlby line and Canyon/Colorado I-5 line.
1. The I-5 line has four of five assembly workers per shift and can put out over 300 engines per day.
2. The Ecotec line produces around 1,400 engines per day with many headed to Korea and Mexico for vehicle assembly lines.
Potential New Product Info discussed:
1. A new line is under construction for a V6/V8 engine. Employees said the V8 will be installed in the Corvette.
2. Another new line for productrion of a new 2.5 /2.0 four cylinder was discussed with engine components available for inspection. Both fours are DI. The 2.5 liter is for new Malibu, the 2.0 turbo for ATS was stated. They said these are not the current Ecotec. Features include electronically controlled oil pressure and two-stage thermostat to save fuel plus balance shafts for smoothness.
Please share if you have information from this or other open houses.