Pontiac Fiero GT Comparison test: April 1988 (Popular Mechanics) - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac Fiero GT Comparison test: April 1988 (Popular Mechanics)

Thanks

Re: Pontiac Fiero GT Comparison test: April 1988 (Popular Mechanics)

That was great, thank you for posting. I saw the '89 Fiero prototype in person , and it's beautiful (and has a much larger trunk than the previous Fiero's). Too bad they didn't sell it, it would've blown the second generation MR2 out of the water.

They could've at least given us the "Porsche eater" GT Turbo.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King Riffle
    That was great, thank you for posting. I saw the '89 Fiero prototype in person , and it's beautiful (and has a much larger trunk than the previous Fiero's). Too bad they didn't sell it, it would've blown the second generation MR2 out of the water.

They could've at least given us the "Porsche eater" GT Turbo.
    Do you have any other photos of the 89 prototype?

The cars body was re-styled and looked very much like an F-car's little brother. The rear "trunk" was extended and given it's own opening decklid seperate from the engine cover. And under that engine cover was the GM 3.4L Twin-Cam screamer. Further positioning the Fiero into the performance car realm
    If this is the prototype, I don't see the diff in restyling, the rear looks the same, could be the photo of course!! I thought the 3.4DOHC motor did not begin production until 1991? Please clarify
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600
    Yeah, it became a big honking thing in the media, right after they released the updated version IIRC. Sales pretty much nosedived.

Except for the people who burned to a crisp, there was a certain humorous irony in the car being named "Fiero".
    "Fiero" means proud in Spanish. It just sounds like "fire" in English. No correlaton, though.

BTW, Fieros were amazingly strong. My friend had one and got t-barred by a taxi who ran a red light. She survived without a scratch. The car was a write off, though.

Didn't they have the Quad 4 in there? I thought that was a good engine for the car. Or was that an intended engine for the Fiero?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

That is NOT the '89 prototype. That picture is of the Fiero GT Turbo prototype. Note the intercooler built into the wing

As for the '89 prototype, my photos didn't turn out well. Here's a site with a bunch of photos: http://www.2bluesc.com/viewpics.php?...2F90+Prototype

There was also a couple of coupe's, they were sent to a junkyard and were probably destroyed. I'll have pics later if I can find some.

My favorite Fiero was the Spice Fiero GTP:
    Last edited by King Riffle; 10-05-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks

Wow, I don't seem to recall the prototype? It is hot!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

I miss the Fiero. I owned one so many years ago I don't even remember what year it was. And I only had it for a few weeks. I loved the styling.. I still think GM should build a fun car like it.

Thanks

I miss mine too. It was a fun car. I'm surprised I didn't kill myself in it, I had a habit of finding little windy backroads to drive fast down.

BTW, I'm gonna mention it here since this person probably got it from this thread: if you own this site could you at least credit me with my photo?
    http://www.gt.ppdictionary.com/prototype_photos.html

Hey Baja, did you get those from the dvd sold by the Fiero Store? My parents got me that on VHS about 5 years ago.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,018 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

That red GT with a turbo looks to be pretty cool.

I drove the little v6 fiero years back and it was an amazingly fun car to drive. AT the time I had a midengined turbocharged Lancia Scorpion I enjoyed Fiero GT and marvelled at its race car like driving experience and low cost of ownership but its time had come and gone..

Interesting build technique where they built a frame and then screwed all the panels on.. Supposedly it would make doing model changes inexpensive but they never came..

I personally believe the Chevy group had a hard on for the fiero because it really could have been labelled GM"s new sports car..

Chevy made sure it was labelled as a two seat economy car out of the gate...(chevette suspension, iron duke motor etc)

Remember GM would never allow chevy to do the mid engine corvette it had been showing for over two decades before the fiero came out...and here was pontiac making it happen.....

Internal politics as well as outside pressure from the fire nonsense killed it.

At the time...its 135hp V6 was a good powerplant.. although many are right...the quad four would have better suited the fiero GT with I believe almost 200hp stock..
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 01-02-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

Chevy made sure it was labelled as a two seat economy car out of the gate...(chevette suspension, iron duke motor etc)

Well, no, Pontiac actually was able to sell it to GM management as a 2 seat, high MPG sporty commuter car, the project was called the TPC, Two Passenger Commuter,which is what the Fiero was. In the late 70's when the car was proposed by Pontiac, GM really didn't need another low volume 2 seat sports car, it had no trouble selling Corvettes, in fact 1979 was the Corvettes best year ever, but what GM did need was more high MPG small cars to help with the upcoming CAFE regs.

Everyone seems to have delusions of grandeur about the Fiero being some sort of Corvette killer that Chevy squashed, the Fiero used Chevette and X-car parts because it was supposed to be a cheap car, the first 1984 base Fieros were like $7900. Later Pontiac started tweaking the car to get more performance out of it, and the V6 engine was added for the 2nd year, but really the Fiero was intended to be a cheap, good looking car, like the MR2, CRX, EXP and others that came out at the time.

Remember GM would never allow chevy to do the mid engine corvette it had been showing for over two decades before the fiero came out...and here was pontiac making it happen.....
    And rightfully so, even though concepts like the 4 rotor Aerovette, even though they were visually stunning, were not feasible for production, this car was approved in 1977 as the 1980 Corvette.

The problem was that there was no way to design and build the car for any kind of reasonable price and no way to sell it in number that would be profitable for GM, not to mention that although mid engine designs are wonderful for all out performance on the race track, they really do suck for normal street applications, so in 1978 Dave McLellan, Duntovs replacement since 1974, canned the mid-engine Corvette after its 2 big supporters retired, Bill Mitchell and Duntov, and started over with the car that became the 1984 C4 Corvette.
    Last edited by MCGARRETT; 01-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,018 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I remember back in 1984 when the Fiero released how the press went on and on about the fiero having to be created as a 2 seat economy sports car because the chevy crew was very upset.

Thats why the first year fiero was such a slow sports car and had plebian suspension parts..

First year sales were very strong as it was a really sharp looking vehicle. Once that happened GM loosened up the reigns a bit to allow pontiac to further develop this sales success..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

I remember when the Fiero first came around and people thought it looked like a little Ferrari. It's easy to see why it sold so much. I don't see why the Solstice wasn't of a similar formula - looking a little like an exotic car though not extremely fast and simply fun to drive. I'm sure if a new Miata was completely redesigned and looked a little similar to a Lamborghini - everyone would have one.

Thanks

I always thought the Qaud 4 was slated for use-maybe in 89?

If not, it should have.

Sure a has alot of engine swaps for it though!
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    "Fiero" means proud in Spanish. It just sounds like "fire" in English. No correlaton, though.
    It's a 4 year old discussion, but I'll retort that the car had a "flaming" logo. Bad association.

Thanks

I always thought the Qaud 4 was slated for use-maybe in 89?
    It was, along with the never offered electric power steering that was developed for it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information