Police accused of wasting £1.5MILLION on electric cars that they admit are useless

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police accused of wasting £1.5MILLION on electric cars that they admit are useless

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,013 Times in 4,308 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Police accused of wasting £1.5MILLION on electric cars that they admit are useless

Reports found cars do not meet demands of urgent response or pursuit driving
    Forces have bought at least 448 environmentally-friendly vehicles to help them
    However almost all cars and vans are being used in non-emergency situations
    By MARTIN BECKFORD FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 17:04 EST, 23 December 2019 | UPDATED: 17:52 EST, 23 December 2019

Police have spent millions of pounds on electric cars they admit are useless for chasing suspects or rushing to help victims.

Forces around the country have bought at least 448 environmentally-friendly vehicles to help them meet green energy targets.

But almost all of the cars and vans are being used in non-emergency situations or by chiefs to get to work.

Official police reports conceded that electric vehicles cannot meet the demands of urgent response or pursuit driving. They take too long to charge up to be ready for 999 calls and could run out of battery before a shift ends.

Police reports have conceded that almost all the cars and vans electric vehicles cannot meet the demands of urgent response or pursuit driving. (Stock image) almost all of the cars and vans are being used in non-emergency situations or by chiefs to get to work.
    According to the reports, the forces Forces around the country have bought at least 448 environmentally-friendly vehicles to help them meet green energy targets. But almost all of the cars and vans are being used in non-emergency situations or by chiefs to get to work. Official police reports conceded that electric vehicles cannot meet the demands of urgent response or pursuit driving. They take too long to charge up to be ready for 999 calls and could run out of battery before a shift ends.

Tory backbencher David Davies, who is a former special constable, said: 'Police bosses need to show a bit of common sense.

I've been in a police car on many occasions when an emergency call has come in. You can't predict what is going to happen and so they need to be very careful when using electric cars.'

Figures from 30 of the country's 46 police forces show they have bought or leased 448 green vehicles with many more on order. They have together spent at least £1.49million, according to details obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

The true costs will be far higher as several forces refused to say how much they had spent.

Scotland Yard has 134 green vehicles and wants to make its entire fleet green by 2050, in part to avoid having to pay London Mayor Sadiq Khan's daily £12.50 Ultra Low Emission Zone charge.

The Metropolitan Police has bought dozens of 'ultra low emissions non-response cars' from BMW, Mitsubishi and Toyota.

But it had to get more diesel vehicles for high-speed chases. An internal report admitted: 'The market has not yet sufficiently matured to offer alternatively fuelled vehicles capable of meeting the MPS requirements for the role of pursuit cars.'

A report by Staffordshire Police states: 'Vehicles that are less damaging to the environment are struggling to cope with the arduous needs of emergency service; autonomous driving and safety systems are not conducive to pursuit or response driving.'

Kent Police, which has two Nissan Leafs and a BMW i3, admits in an annual survey: 'Plug-in electric cars do not have adequate range and they take too long to charge up which is a significant challenge.'

Thames Valley Police, which has 25 green vehicles, said: 'The greatest challenges will come from the ability to match advances in vehicle related technology to operational requirements.'

It has warned that the demands of tactical pursuit and containment – ways of ending a high-speed chase – would clash with 'autonomous braking' technology, just as caps on maximum speed would inhibit emergency response.

In addition 'day running lights' on modern models would undermine 'surveillance requirements'.

Devon and Cornwall Police has decided against making its fleet all-electric because of the high cost and battery limitations.

It has spent £80,000 on four green vehicles used as general pool cars. It said: 'It has been recognised that an early adoption approach is unlikely to be cost effective until the range of lithium ion batteries improves and costs stabilise.'

Tim Rogers, spokesman on pursuits for the Police Federation, which represents rank-and-file officers, said: 'The public does not need to worry about police not being able to get to them because their cars have run out of battery.

'It would be remiss of anyone managing a vehicle fleet to restrict themselves that way – they are still able to use other vehicles.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...criminals.html
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,826 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Police accused of wasting £1.5MILLION on electric cars that they admit are useles

So what? All police forces have non-pursuit vehicles as PART of their fleet - the usage pattern of some does fit the restrictions of EVs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (12-24-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WaterBoy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not sure how this is news... the police departments will obviously try to source out appropriate alternative fuel vehicles, but not all of them will meet their needs.

Next up in the news: company is trying different stationary suppliers....

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,013 Times in 4,308 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Police accused of wasting £1.5MILLION on electric cars that they admit are useles

The strong implication is at least some of these critters were purchased as tactical vehicles.

Police reports have conceded that almost all the cars and vans electric vehicles cannot meet the demands of urgent response or pursuit driving. almost all of the cars and vans are being used in non-emergency situations or by chiefs to get to work.
    According to the reports, the forces around the country have bought at least 448 environmentally-friendly vehicles to help them meet green energy targets. But almost all of the cars and vans are being used in non-emergency situations or by chiefs to get to work. Official police reports conceded that electric vehicles cannot meet the demands of urgent response or pursuit driving. They take too long to charge up to be ready for 999 calls and could run out of battery before a shift ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    So what? All police forces have non-pursuit vehicles as PART of their fleet - the usage pattern of some does fit the restrictions of EVs
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterBoy1 View Post
    Not sure how this is news... the police departments will obviously try to source out appropriate alternative fuel vehicles, but not all of them will meet their needs.

Next up in the news: company is trying different stationary suppliers....
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-24-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,937 Times in 3,352 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Them British have drunk the whole Greta cool aid wholeheartedly. They are in a drunken stupor with it. No amount of speaking to them will help. Let the baddies get away, the bobby is charging the i3.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-24-2019),Neanderthal (12-24-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Them British have drunk the whole Greta cool aid wholeheartedly. They are in a drunken stupor with it. No amount of speaking to them will help. Let the baddies get away, the bobby is charging the i3.
    Extinction Rebellion caused a lot of congestion in London with their protests but haven't gained much traction and the Environment was only a minor issue in the recent General Election. Where I am the police still use M550 and X5-M50 for rapid response

Thanks
    My Ride

Extinction Rebellion caused a lot of congestion in London with their protests but haven't gained much traction and the Environment was only a minor issue in the recent General Election. Where I am the police still use M550 and X5-M50 for rapid response
    Why do they not use Jaguars? It would be more appropriate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (12-24-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

They did in my youth, and later on Vauxhall Senators - as BMW outsell Jaguar by 10:1 they need unmarked cars which blend in with the traffic, not stand out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,818 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Kent Police, which has two Nissan Leafs and a BMW i3
    Nuff said... they picked two crap EVs.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Nuff said... they picked two crap EVs.
    What should they have picked - GM's Bolt, Opel Ampera-e in Europe, is a sales flop just like the Volt (Opel Ampera) before it.

Thanks
    My Ride

There was no debate in this election since everyone was in agreement with Greta. It’s political suicide to question the’settled science’

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

Or Robin Reliants...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post
    Or Robin Reliants...
    They still make those?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,250 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

IMHO 1/2 of the ISSUES are not EV BUT modern car related DRLs and surveillance - BMW not have DRL's on there X5???
    and autonomous "drivers aids" will still curtail "reckless" driving / police interception attempts

and I think it is MORE carbon TAX / London pollution avoidance over "appeasing gretta"

AND the science is SETTLED publically outside of fringe and US governments saying differently is political / career suicide

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

They still make those?
    No - Reliant ended all production in 2001 - as well as their quirky 3-wheelers they also built the Scimitar GTE, the Metro taxi - they also built the Vauxhall Chevette HSR for GM and the RS200 for Ford, both low volume rally specials.

Their factory site is now a housing estate just a few miles from where I live.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (12-25-2019)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information