If Hyundai sold the CTS and Cadillac sold the Genesis, which car would sell more? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: Which car would sell more?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Hyundai sold the CTS and Cadillac sold the Genesis, which car would sell more?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Re: If Hyundai sold the CTS and Cadillac sold the Genesis, which car would sell more?

Quote Originally Posted by matt.w View Post
    If Cadillac (or Hyundai) sold the CTS and Genesis side-by-side, which would sell more?
    Now to answer your question, if both were sold as Cadillacs, I think the Genesis would sell better. Not because it's a better car, but because it's a slightly bigger, softer car that has more in common with what Cadillacs have historically been.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: If Hyundai sold the CTS and Cadillac sold the Genesis, which car would sell more?

Cadillac.

Because in the end...it's still a Hyundai. Not my words, that's what practically everyone I know who has seen a Genesis has told me.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: CTS vs. Genesis, Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    Probably the cheaper one.
    /thread.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Hyundai never got away with it. Everyone and their mother has complained that the Genny looks like an Infiniti-Mercedes-Lexus-BMW-something since day one.
    Sure, folks have been saying it... I'm one of them... But it hasn't stopped the positive press for Hyundai. In my opinion, Cadillac would have been torn a new one in the automotive press had they released the Genesis as is... And it would have been deserved.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Here here.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

They're in roughly the same price range, mid 30's to mid 40's. CTS tops out more, but it looks to me like a non-factor.

I like this thought:

Quote Originally Posted by tbirderic View Post
    Now to answer your question, if both were sold as Cadillacs, I think the Genesis would sell better. Not because it's a better car, but because it's a slightly bigger, softer car that has more in common with what Cadillacs have historically been.
    The comparison is very flawed and unequal, but it would be an interesting test to see how the definition of Cadillac has changed since A&S and the V series, if at all.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by matt.w View Post
    They're in roughly the same price range, mid 30's to mid 40's. CTS tops out more, but it looks to me like a non-factor.

I like this thought:

The comparison is very flawed and unequal, but it would be an interesting test to see how the definition of Cadillac has changed since A&S and the V series, if at all.
    I'm sure it has changed quite a bit in the last ten years, which makes it even more difficult to succinctly answer hypothetical questions like these!

Take the CTS for example. Why do people buy it? Do customers buy it because it's a great American sport sedan, or do they buy it simply because it's the cheapest way to get into a Cadillac sedan? I'm sure plenty are buying the car simply for the badge on the hood, and are completely blind to the CTS' merits or shortcomings, though to be fair that criticism could also be leveled at luxury buyers in general.

1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Lower priced models typically out sell higher priced models.

I would like to see a proper RWD model from Cadillac above the CTS. A large A&S sedan is needed by Caddy. The dull styling of the Genesis do nothing for me.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The Genesis is nothing more than combined copies of Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, and BMW previous years styling. It's not bad looking, but it doesn't look modern or cutting edge. The CTS, on the other hand, looks like nothing else.

Placing a Caddy badge on the Genesis would do nothing for its sales. It's a flop, period.

Thanks

I think the only thing the Genesis has going for it is the option of a DOHC V8, and the warranty.

The only reason its a plus for the Genesis isn't because I feel Cadillac needs a DOHC V8, but because I think the CTS needs a midlevel V8 in between the 3.6 and V-Series.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

The current CTS has aged rapidly, but it's still a lot more interesting than the Genesis. The Cadillac brand also has far more weight, which translates into value for most buyers.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1995 Camaro Z28 6 Speed

Cadillac can definitely pull off the Genesis, Hyundai can't pull off a CTS. Sorry. Caddy wins my Vote.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    2001 Suburban, lowered (3/5) Magna flow, free mods, CAI, tune, built 4L60e. 200,xxx miles. - Sold
    2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback 19,xxx miles.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

This poll is inherently flawed. Why? because some will answer thinking the Cadillac genesis will sell more because it's a Cadillac, and others will answer Cadillac because they feel the genesis is a better car than the CTS. These 2 groups are not giving the same answer, tho it may appear otherwise.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

CTS hands down. The Genesis is a fake nothing car. A shameless BMW/Benz clone that's not fooling anyone but it's maker.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Thanks

Cadillac already sold the CTS alongside a larger, roomier RWD luxury sedan that offered a V6 and a V8 engine:

The CTS sold better than the STS, too. But it was cheaper which has me leaning to agree with calgaryhhr. STS and Genesis were very comparable - the exterior and interior dimensions are very close between them, even the engines:

2010 STS 3.6L V6: 302 hp, 272 lb-ft
    2010 Genesis 3.8L V6: 290 hp, 264 lb-ft

2010 STS 4.6L V8: 320 hp, 315 lb-ft
    2010 Genesis 4.6L V8: 385 hp, 333 lb-ft

Not sure of the features difference between the two, but the Genesis is about $12,000 cheaper than the STS V6. Can't really compare sales since I don't know if/where Hyundai breaks out Genesis coupe and sedan sales.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information