I cant watch Bones anymore. The Toyota ads. - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I cant watch Bones anymore. The Toyota ads.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,234 Times in 3,933 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: I cant watch Bones anymore. The Toyota ads.

Quote Originally Posted by hiluxxulih View Post
    Not to mention Booth drives a Toyota Sequoia which is completely out of place for the show .
    Indeed.
    He should drive a SHO, a 300 or Charger Hemi, or a LaCrosse 5.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider View Post
    The new Hawaii 5-0 certainly appears to be a Chevy Infomercial.
    And the recent Knight Rider was very obviously a Ford-driven (no pun intended) show, that went as far as blocking out the emblems on any non Ford products.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is also a Prius show.
    So was The New Adventures of Old Christine.
    The new Fockers movie features an old Prius and a new Tesla.

At least some people are different: The Mentalist drives a Citroen.
    Now THAT is class. And a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I remember the most shocking vehicle change on TV, to me, was when "The Price is Right" started using foreign vehicles as prizes. I can't remember when it happened but I think it was after Barker left the show. Barker must have opposed foreign vehicles because I remember only seeing American vehicles until a few years ago.
    How things have changed. I remember a show from the 50s when a Russian sable (like mink for those who don't buy a lot of fur coats) stole (not car) was up. The entire audience booed, big-time.

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    I can't watch Bones because its a turrible show. Just turrible
    Yeah, she's unconvincingly cerebrally clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    It doesn't happen that often, but I noticed that too awhile ago. I remember Let's Make a Deal had some '70s Japanese cars as giveaways, but I don't remember Price is Right giving them away...

Luckily they still give away some nice American cars. The other day a guy won a black Challenger (base V-6, but i'd drive it).
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 02-10-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Joe McKinney's Avatar
    Thanks

From the earliest days of T.V. car companies have paid to have their products featured prominantly on popular shows. Often the stars of the shows also appeared in ads for the cars.

Dinah Shore and Chevrolet ("See the U.S.A. in a Chevrolet").
    Groucho Marx and DeSoto.
    Andy Griffith and Ford.
    Mr. Ed and Studebaker.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McKinney View Post
    From the earliest days of T.V. car companies have paid to have their products featured prominantly on popular shows. Often the stars of the shows also appeared in ads for the cars.

Dinah Shore and Chevrolet ("See the U.S.A. in a Chevrolet").
    Groucho Marx and DeSoto.
    Andy Griffith and Ford.
    Mr. Ed and Studebaker.
    Wasn't it worse back then since they'd just say "The xx Show, brought to you by Chevrolet"?

Tonight's episode didn't have much Toyota action. I actually don't recall an in-car scene from tonight. There were a couple toyota commercials in between (those dumb "how would you use toyota technology" ones) with a couple other brands mixed in, including a Buick and a Honda ad.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

It's funny someone would post a thread about Bones and the Toyota product placement... I had mentioned something about it to a friend a few weeks back.

Sure, product placement has been around forever. But Bones is really obnoxious about it and has been for a while. It seems too forced. Booth driving the Sequoia is the most ridiculous thing on television...

As others have stated, there have been multiple "commercials" for several Toyota products and their features over the past season or two written into the characters' dialogue... The Prius' options are usually featured...

Hey, it's not a great show, and if I hadn't known David's family when I was growing up(I don't anymore) I probably wouldn't watch the show... But at least Emily Deschanel and Tamara Taylor are very easy on the eyes...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening View Post
    How do I doooo this? I want to drop Cable so bad.
    1. Buy a good antenna. I bought an amplified Philips antenna for $40.

2. Get an HDHomeRun. I bought one with two tuners off Amazon for $75. HDHomeRun has two antenna connectors and one ethernet port. It lets you watch TV with any computer in your home. You can also get a tuner card, whatever you prefer.

3. Most (all?) versions of Windows 7 come with Windows Media Center already installed. Or, you can just buy an HD Tivo, but it has a subscription fee. There's also WMC alternatives like MythTV, SageTV, and EyeTV. As far as I know, WMC7 is the only one with a free channel guide built in.

I record on a computer downstairs in the living room and watch my bedroom with an XBox360. I use EyeTV on my Mac to tune into my HDHomeRun for live programs.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by mercy09 View Post
    All brands and lots of shows do product placement. For the most part I don't mind it. The Office has shown product placement for the Sebring, of all cars. That one is a bit of a riot, though it's funny to see Steve Carrel behind the wheel of one.
    I wouldnt really call that advertising. The Sebring's mediocrity is directly associated with Michael's incompetence. He's naive and prizes his company car (which was driven into a lake and replaced with a PT Cruiser).

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I wouldnt really call that advertising. The Sebring's mediocrity is directly associated with Michael's incompetence. He's naive and prizes his company car (which was driven into a lake and replaced with a PT Cruiser).
    It was actually a Taurus rental that was driven into the lake (probably one of the funniest scenes of all time on that show), but you're right he does have a love affair with the Sebring, especially in early episodes. He's driven the old Sebring Convertible, PT Convertible, now the current Sebring convertible.

Andy had an Xterra, Generation 2 Prius and now has a 3rd generation, all of which he's talked and bragged about. Pam has a Yaris, Oscar an RX, Jim has had Corolla's, Impreza, and now an Outback, Meredith drives an old Aerostar, Angela a Saturn S-series, Holly with a Solara, Stanley with a 300, Erin a Contour, Darryl a Silverado, Ryan with a Civic, and finally Todd Packer with a Corvette with the license plate, "WLHUNG". I think I got everybody? I don't know/remember what Toby, Kelly, and Kevin drive.

The funniest, though, is Dwight and the scenes with his old Trans Am.
    Last edited by mercy09; 02-11-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Dwight's car scenes are epic! Love when he's in the parking lot listening to metal trying to get pumped for a sale

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by from oz View Post
    I remember them doing the same thing in Alias for Ford. Once for the Mustang and another time for the Escape (hybrid if my memory serves). It was just as blatant.

My favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGx3PBdb4f8

Shoot, I remember one episode when they had a Marauder drive up into the back of a C-Series box van equipped with a ramp. That was too cool, seeing two of my favorite ever FoMoCo vehicles put together in one scene like that.

I'm all for same-brand car product placement on the tube.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    That was just friggin' ridiculous.. I never watched anything past the first show.. That annoyed me.
    The show was terrible for the first half of the season, but it actually got pretty good after they re-booted mid-way. Not great, but a pretty good fantasy type show. I was bummed when it was cancelled.
    Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I remember the most shocking vehicle change on TV, to me, was when "The Price is Right" started using foreign vehicles as prizes. I can't remember when it happened but I think it was after Barker left the show. Barker must have opposed foreign vehicles because I remember only seeing American vehicles until a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark68 View Post
    It doesn't happen that often, but I noticed that too awhile ago. I remember Let's Make a Deal had some '70s Japanese cars as giveaways, but I don't remember Price is Right giving them away...

Luckily they still give away some nice American cars. The other day a guy won a black Challenger (base V-6, but i'd drive it).
    This has come up before, and it's a mis-conception that the Price is Right didn't give away foreign cars until recently. They most certainly did. Not often, but they did.

This is the only video I found but I know there was a thread with a bunch of them somewhere.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

In that TPIR clip, isn't that a Corolla made at the NUMMI plant in California?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider View Post
    In that TPIR clip, isn't that a Corolla made at the NUMMI plant in California?
    It's still not a domestic brand. And like I said, I'm sure I saw a lot more clips on here somewhere, but can't find them either here or on YouTube. Are the foreign makes they're showing now all assembled in North America, or are there some assembled overseas as well?
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Human Target has had some equally blatant GM content in a few season 1 episodes. They all just make my eyes roll no matter the manufacturer... I guess commercials just aren't enough. I don't really have a problem with inert product placement... as soon as characters start talking about it... that's offsides.

BTW, it would be fun if advertising was as honest as in the movie "The Invention of Lying"... the Coke/Pepsi bit was hilarious.

"I'm Bob, I work for Coke, and I'm asking you to not stop buying Coke."... "It's basically just brown sugar water... we haven't changed the ingredients much lately, so there's nothing new I can tell you about that. We changed the can around a little bit though. See, the colors here are different there, and we added a polar bear so the kids like us..."

Sign on a bus: Pepsi... for when there's no Coke
    Last edited by tholland; 02-11-2011 at 09:24 AM.
    2007 Avalanche, Black LTZ 4x4
    2002 Grand Prix Black GTP, Intercooled

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate it when car logos are blocked on TV shows. For one, anyone who gives a damn about cars can easily identify what the car. Second, anyone who does not give a damn about cars is not going to give a damn if the logo is uncovered. Logos are rather small anyway.

This applies to brands beyond cars, though. It's funny on TV and movies to hear a character at a bar or restaurant say "I'll have a beer." Not a Hoegaarden, not a Sam Adams, not even a frickin' Bud Light. And they get their bottle of "Brand Name Light Beer."

Or a character has a can of pop. It is a Coke or Pepsi, but the logo is simplified or masked somehow. Anyone with a brain stem can still tell what kind of soft drink it is - the can is still red with a white swoosh going around it. Or the can is still blue with with a red and white circle.

I actually find it insulting to my intelligence when they try to mask real life like that. It's not consistent either. I doubt Coca Cola paid for their mention in The Invention of Lying, as the way they were portrayed was not flattering, but plain as the nose on my face, Coke was mentioned by name.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Thanks

I've enjoyed Bones at times, but in my opinion, it's jumped the shark. If you read the credits, the woman who it's based on, is a writer for the show.

I'm at the point where I'm tired of seeing Chevy's on almost every show and I can't believe that I just said that.

The Mentalist also has a Traverse, besides that wonderful old Citroen. In White Collar, the FBI agent has a Ford taurus. I will never forget Columbo's car.

NCIS LA has a variety of cars, including the Challenger and an SRX, along with Mercedes and a few other more expensive vehicles.

I can't stand the new Hawaii 5-0. They spend more time arguing in the Camaro than they do solving the crime. Jack Lord is turning over in his grave. The new Dano needs a good set of shoes with lifts and a shave.

The new Fox show Chicago Code is another cop show with an Aussie pretending to be a Chicago Cop. He seems to dominate the female police chief, which will not go over well with some of the viewing addience. I don't know if it'll last too long.

While I think Simon Baker is perfect for his role, aren't there some unemployed American actors who could be cops? Sorry guys, it had to be said.
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information