Hugely Higher Price: Why Pay An Extra $30,000 For Fake Prestige?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Hugely Higher Price: Why Pay An Extra $30,000 For Fake Prestige?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,849 Times in 3,947 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Hugely Higher Price: Why Pay An Extra $30,000 For Fake Prestige?

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.”

Shakespeare was probably not thinking of the auto industry when he wrote those famous lines, but his point is worth remembering the next time you buy a car.

The truth is the global auto market is now full of identical or near-identical cars sold under different brand names and at different prices. The practice, known — with a touch of irony — as “badge engineering,” enables car companies to source models from competitors, thereby rounding out their product lines without investing in the massive tooling needed to make each model in-house. It is quite different from the better known phenomenon of “platform sharing,” which signifies merely that different car models share a basic skeleton. Rebadged cars are identical in all respects, except perhaps for some tiny cosmetic distinctions such as the placing of the headlamps or the shape of the trunk. They not only come from the same factories but are in many cases made by the same workers on the same production lines. Yet their prices can vary significantly depending on which maker’s badge is on the grill.

Just how significantly is revealed in the new issue of Which?, a London-based consumer magazine. Take, for instance, the tiny European city runabout known as the Aston Martin Cygnet. In its most basic version it sells at more than $45,000. The car is actually made by Toyota and a Toyota version (identical except for some interior accoutrements) can be had for less than $17,000. On an apples-to-apples comparison, Which? reckons the average price discrepancy is more than $31,000. Thus those who prefer Aston Martin’s badge pay an outrageous three times more for exactly the same Toyota engineering!

Article continues at link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfi...fake-prestige/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Hugely Higher Price: Why Pay An Extra $30,000 For Fake Prestige?

The author never seems to draw a conclusion, but it just goes to show how strongly brand imaging can work and how a car purchase can be dictated by emotions more than logic. That's why all of the arguments that the Volt doesn't make sense doesn't make sense in itself.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,186 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    The author never seems to draw a conclusion, but it just goes to show how strongly brand imaging can work and how a car purchase can be dictated by emotions more than logic. That's why all of the arguments that the Volt doesn't make sense doesn't make sense in itself.
    Just goes to show how clueless some of the buying public is.... I still can't believe Aston Martin would sell a single Cygnet.... just crazy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    Just goes to show how clueless some of the buying public is.... I still can't believe Aston Martin would sell a single Cygnet.... just crazy.
    I had remember reading about the Cygnet, but had totally forgotten about it. I wonder how well it is selling....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 GMC Terrain SLT

I thought they were going to give these away for free whenever you bought an Aston.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

Quote Originally Posted by majicbz07 View Post
    I thought they were going to give these away for free whenever you bought an Aston.
    That was my understanding as well. These weren't going to be sold as an individual model, they were given free with the purchase of one of the MUCH more Aston models. That can't be right though as the author is saying they sell for $45K. I've never heard a single thing about them after the concept was announced.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information