How I would 'fix' GM

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I would 'fix' GM

Thanks

How I would 'fix' GM

This is how i would 'fix' GM. I'm only putting down what needs changing or adding. Tell me what you think of my plans: I WANT FEED BACK LOL.
    NOTES:
    -LACK OF CURTAIN AIR BAGS IN ALL CARS INEXCUSBLE
    -LACK OF NAV SYSTEMS IN >30K. CARS IS TOO.
    -HOW DO U YOU DESTINGUISH CAMARO FROM NEXT GTO? I THINK GTO SHOULD ONLY BE V8, CAMARO WITH V6 AND V8
    -VANS MUST HAVE MODERN FEATURES! CSV SUCK IN THAT DEPARTMENT! 200 HP IS NOT ENOUGH! HOW IS THE PONTIAC MORE SPORTY THAN THE SATURN!?
    -Full size suvs are not included in this 'essay' lol. Only chevy and caddy needem, but buick and saab should get the trailblazer and the extended huge a** family replacements. replacement.

Chevy:
    Malibu: Redesigned interior and Exterior headlights, SS version with 270+ HP
    Impala: Redesign on new platform, should be luxurious like Avalon/Maxima
    Camaro: RWD Kappa or Zeta, NOT a retro, modern, like Vette.
    SSR: CAR platform
    HHR: AWD availabilty, as I don't think it wil be available at start
    Silverado: Redesign, see Simsamil's concept for what it should be.

GMC: Kill it. Buick can be the sprit of american style and still be professional grade. Chevy truck clones won't help it reach #1

Pontiac:
    GTO: V6 and V8 options, futuristic, not retro design. More upscale than comaro. Keep away from G6 racy interior styling, more BMW preformance and luxury idea.
    G6: Transmissions options! 4 speed autos aren't acceptable in a 'sporty car'. Manuals and 5-speed autos are a must. And 200 HP is does not move this car much faster than Camry, or Accord, which has transmission options.
    Solstice: Turbocharged engine eventually, 5 speed manual and auto.
    Grand Prix: Interior Redesign, Renamed soon at G8, don't let it look to much like the buick........

Caddy:
    CTS: AWD, availablity of manuals and autos on all engines, verts and coupe editions, 220 hp engine STANDARD and optionsal with at least 270.
    STS: manual and auto availability across the board. AWD on V6, which sells best.
    SLK/Z4: We need a competitor to the Z4 and SLK class. It might shate comaro/gto engines, but MUCH more upscale.
    7/S/A8: We need at least an AWD big sedan. FWD won't sut it no matter what. AWD is ok, even if its FWD based.

Buick: Will someway lay out for the general public what Buicks portfolio will look like? I checked the future products page and it was confusing and wasnt price specific.

Velite: Big powerful american vert with portholes like on current Quatroporte
    Lacrosse: Nav system! 5 speed auto.
    Lucerne- Buick is scheduled to receive a Zeta-based RWD sedan in 2007. It is said to have an optional V8, and will possibly be named Lucerne. Sounds good. Make sure it has portholes, DOD, and a nav.
    BIG RWD SEDAN: A compliment to the Velite. A big powerful sedan along side the convertible. with portholes, of course.
    SUV: RX330 competitor that looks classy. Needs DOD, and to apeal to soccer moms who might have a expedition when they need something bigger. NO bigger than RX330, smaller than SRX.

Saturn: Kill it.

SuzUki: Kill it.

Saab: I don't know what to do... Sell it to ford and let them kill it? Oh I know! Make its GM's exotic brand. Like fords Aston's. THE DB9 is great, by the way. Saab might take a break like saturn and gmc, only saab might return from the vacation....

Hummer: YEY! H3 is coming soon... Any how, H3 is Grand Cherokee competitor size wise, so now we need an H4 which is Wrangler, and maybe a really baby CAR BASED hummer thats mini cooper sized. That would be sooo cool. Maybe called thet C5 for car. BTW mercedes are overpriced and are ugly.

THANKS 4 READING!
    Last edited by surferdude00711; 03-09-2005 at 07:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    "GTO: V6 and V8 options, futuristic, not retro design. More upscale than comaro." V6 GTO? More upscale than comaro? What comaro? I think you mean Camaro but there isn't one as far a I can tell. Clearly you should stick to surfing at your local 711.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingYeti
    "GTO: V6 and V8 options, futuristic, not retro design. More upscale than comaro." V6 GTO? More upscale than comaro? What comaro? I think you mean Camaro but there isn't one as far a I can tell. Clearly you should stick to surfing at your local 711.
    I meant camaro, and i do believe the original gto was a normal car with a big engine. for that reason, i think we should have the gto and the same car with a lesser engine. lol and i dont have a 7.11 near me

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds reasonable. Lack of HIDs on a 30k+ car is inexcusable as well. GTO should offer more options and features like the Monaro. The Monaro has auto climate control, Navigation, and sunroof. Plus it offers different engines. We get a base line Monaro. Go figure GM.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks
    Suzuki isn't wholly owned by GM, and I doubt they'd appreciate the thought.

Thanks
    quote Camaro: RWD Kappa or Zeta, NOT a retro, modern, like Vette

not retro, modern like the vette?
    think of it this way if chevy stopped making the vette in say 75 and then they came out this year with the way the corvette looks like now. You would be calling that retro now wouldnt ya

Thanks
    The GTO should not have a V6 or V8 option, it should strictly be V8, reason being is because the Grand Prix & G6 covers those grounds. As far as I know GMC is one of the best selling division in GM, why quit while your ahead? Also you HP options are a bit too high for a FWD car...can you say torque-steer?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know about that list. That's a pretty large overhaul of GM rather than fixing it. They're on their way of fixing themselves. If they keep rolling out cars comparable to quality to the G6, they'll be improved and fixed hand over fist. They just need time as they do things a little slower than most of us would like.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks
    thnx 4 teh feedback

Thanks
    well if u want to overhaul GM:

Pontiac = Excitement division. Its time to start makig vehicles that fit that moniker!!
    3 basic cars, Small, midsize, Large, 1 minivan (well...), 1 roadster.
    -compact sport sedan/coupe/vert. Only the most powerful engines and sport tuned suspensions.
    -Midsize sedan/coupe (well this could be the GTO) /vert. Same deal
    -Large sedan. Again same deal.
    -Minivan. this could be interesting. Short wheelbase, no "magic" seats (just fold flats), seats 7, Lowered (hence the ditching of the magic seats, its a minivan, but has to have center of gravity as low as possible), big wheels (18's?) sport suspension (beef up the structure to kind of compensate for higher center of gravity), 300hp engine. It would be a sport minivan (is that possible?) and not your typical mommymobile. Kind of like how the MPV sorta is but a helluva lot sportier. in short, a sports car with minivan clothing. Might be unneccessary but would be interesting nontheless.
    -1 roadster (small roadster).
    Everything on this division should be like a poor man's porche, but more flexible.

Buick - American cheapo luxury
    -2 car lines. midsize lux, large lux. 1 minivan, 1 sport sedan.
    -Midsize car. Sporty, luxurious, and elegant.
    -Large car. Luxurious, large, and elegant.
    -Sport sedan. Sporty, luxurious, and elegant (Grand national anyone?)
    -Minivan. Long wheelbase, soft handling, comfy, elegant, all bells and whistles.

Cadillac - American Benz/Beemer/Audi division
    Basically what they are now.

Saturn - American Import fighter/clone division
    -Basically everything that Toyota/Honda has, but better and more american.

Chevrolet - American car division
    -Basically what they have now, but sportier, better looking and better than imports. Basically, the jack of all trades division, battles everything. SS trims gotta be sporty, and only for specific vehicles.

Thanks
    there's more to "fix" GM:
    get all Holdens and Opels available in North America
    -replace Malibu with Vectra (same rule to hatchback, get a wagon too!)
    -replace Impala with Commodore (everyone is waiting for it!)
    -reintroduce Caprice with Holden Caprice/Statesman; make sure they have HSV version! manual transmission available plz! (it will be a NICHE for luxury sedan with manuals)
    -can we have Astra hatchback as Cobalt hatchback in the future?

replace all OHVs with DOHCs (except Corvette one)
    -3800 discontinued and 3.6L DOHC replace it, good start
    -discontinue 3500 and 3900 as well, and let the DOHCs do the rest
    -let DOHCs available in high performance vehicle e.g. GXP, V-series... etc. we are talking about high performance, and we want high-end torque! (enof to boost adrealine rush... oh yeah!)
    -fleet models deserve common rail diesels!

it's time, folks!
    Last edited by turbodiesel; 10-21-2004 at 12:13 PM.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    why didnt u guys mention oldsmobile?? i think they are stupid to end that brand...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodiesel
    it's time, folks!
    Time for what? Just because most of the Asians engines have DOHCs doesn't mean GM should drop all their Pushrod engines, both have their own place.
    -discontinue 3500 and 3900 as well, and let the DOHCs do the rest
    Uhh...Yeah, they've hardly started production yet.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ahaha Camaro, that for the past 35 years has either comein V6 or V8 flavor, becomes a V8 only car, and the GTO, which as been always a hi-po V8 car, gets a choice of V8 or V6??!?!?!
    I think you are going a little to far on a lot of your stuff, but I will agree with 70% of your ideas.
    I would post what I would think, but then this whole thread will turn into a "this is what I think" thread.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks
    i dun care about V8 OHV as long as they are high quality and functions good produce acceptable torque, let it be... i dun mind seeing multivalve OHVs too!

and yes plz revive oldsmobile... especially Oldsmobile Aurora...

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information