Ford 3.5l Ecoboost Engine Failure

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford 3.5l Ecoboost Engine Failure

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost

Ford 3.5l Ecoboost Engine Failure

Folks, I have owned GM products since I started driving in 1977 and for some reason my employer sugested I purchase a F150. I did, I purchased a 2011 F150 FX2 SWB Ecoboost Truck, all the commecials looked great and a turbo charged 3.5l V6 engine with over 350hp & 400FPT. I had issues pulling this from the 70' 350's with out alot of internal part swapping.. any way I bought this ford. I drive alot for your average person, I have had the truck just over 17 months with 113,820kms (70,700miles), MGM Ford in Red Deer has had it for two now. I was driving down the interstate on my way to Cali for a week of well deserved time off at 60mph with the cruise on and the motor gave a very muffled pop, I thought I had a flat tire!!.. I had just crossed over in to Idaho from Montana on I15 about 5 miles from the border. I pulled to the side of the road and the engine was running real poor so I shut it off. The oil pressure and water gauges showed normal. I poped the hood and looked under the truck and found a large pool of oil/glycol under the rear passenger side of the truck. I had heard that the turbos on these eco's sometimes go, so I called AMA and had it towedto Idaho Falls Ford. I then waited in a hotel room till Monday. When I went to the dealer I asked them to bring it in and look see what the issue was and what I had though it was. (turbo) they lifted it up and removed the skid plates to find a hole on either side of the block just above the oil pan rail. to shorten this up. They quoted me $12+ to install a new motor. I called Ford Canada and they said to bad for your luck its off warranty. I called the sales rep at MGM who sugested I bring it to them so they can help me with Ford to get me back on the road. They had no luck and now the truck sits at MGM Ford with the motor out of it and #2 connecting rod failure that appears to be a forging issue. No one will help me with this motor issue so I will be forced to put a motor in it my self off ebay to get me back on the road. Gust giving you guys something to talk about, mainly my mistake for not going with GM in the first place...
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost

Re: Ford 3.5l Ecoboost Engine Failure

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hydrogen's Avatar
    Thanks

Did the piston seize up in the cylinder?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

SX3
    Thanks

First, welcome to GMI. Second, I like the name. Third, that's really a unfortunate situation you're in.

No matter the vehicle that's really early failure.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm truly sorry for your trouble (although that's a heck of an expensive-complicated engine for a 60k-American powertrain warranty).

What kind of deal can you get on an Ebay engine?

Had too many friends with Ford powertrain component failures to think they would step up and help you (despite the Ford apologists here).

Hope you're back running and cheaply quickly.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

GM small block V8 swap time!
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Sorry to hear of your experience and thanks for sharing.

Not a fan of ecoboost after hearing of this story...

Suggestion for others with this is extended warranty if you want ecoboost. Sad to hear ford didn't pony up. They clearly should have if for even selfish reasons to get that motor back and tear it down to seemwhat caused this ...

JMO

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and that Ford didn't offer somesort of AWA, if for no other reason than to have engineir figure out what happened.

Your selling Dealer would be better at recieving AWA. Sometimes full payment, sometimes 50/50 split. Usually Ford would pay for parts, customer pay for labour, then the Selling Dealer slashes the labour rate.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SX3 View Post
    First, welcome to GMI. Second, I like the name. Third, that's really a unfortunate situation you're in.

No matter the vehicle that's really early failure.
    Fourth, I smell a troll.

i'll believe otherwise IF this guy comes back.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

Thanks

I guess he should at least be thankful that he didnt have any piston slap or oil usage problems!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by V-Car View Post
    I guess he should at least be thankful that he didnt have any piston slap or oil usage problems!
    least those aren't a catastrophic failure...I guess it's true that Chevy's/GM really do run badly longer than Fords run at all
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    least those aren't a catastrophic failure...I guess it's true that Chevy's/GM really do run badly longer than Fords run at all

Like me and my friends say. You can drive a gm with a million problems and they will keep on going. My sister and I both drive our Z24 cavalier with blown motors for about a week before we did the motor swaps in the cars. She blew the bottom end and We dont know what let loss in my motor ill be taking it apart once it warms up. I will never own a car that has a GM 2.4L twin cam motor in it ever again.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chakis24 View Post
    Fourth, I smell a troll.

i'll believe otherwise IF this guy comes back.
    It's possible.

But even if he is telling the truth, anecdotes do not count as statistical evidence. When some site that collects reliability data - truedelta.com, for example - starts commenting on Ecoboost engine failures, I'll notice. Not that the fact that his engine failure may be a rarity will be a consolation to him.

Me, if I was going to put 70,000 miles on a brand new $30,000 vehicle within three years, I would buy the extended warranty.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    It's possible.

But even if he is telling the truth, anecdotes do not count as statistical evidence. When some site that collects reliability data - truedelta.com, for example - starts commenting on Ecoboost engine failures, I'll notice. Not that the fact that his engine failure may be a rarity will be a consolation to him.

Me, if I was going to put 70,000 miles on a brand new $30,000 vehicle within three years, I would buy the extended warranty.
    Great point!
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Hmmmmmm...... need ( a lot ) more info.

Including, weather and road conditions and data.....

From the 'other problem'......

Here’s how it happens:

As air is drawn through the charge air cooler, moisture collects inside the tubing. This typically happens when the engine is cruising on the highway, as the air flow into the motor is relatively slow.

If the driver hits the throttle, the sudden change in the intake air flow rate through the CAC causes the engine to essentially vacuum up all the moisture inside the tube.

If the amount of condensation (water) the engine ingests is small, you just get a minor shudder. If the amount of condensation is significant, the F150′s computer system throws a red flag and forces the vehicle into limp mode to prevent further damage.

For drivers in areas where the dew point is equal to the ambient temperature for hours at a time, condensation inside the CAC is a frequent and sometimes severe problem.

So.... if not a defective rod or rods......

Might've hydrolocked on the fly........... somehow.

Think - just barely or just barely 'enough'.

Stranger things have happened......

So...... need to check this and that including the suggested info above and also...... coolant level / coolant leaks and the same for oil.

Besides the usual, also in and around the turbo sections.

And down stream.

Obviously, a bunch of other needs checking.

As in...... 'everything'.... including vehicle history etc etc

On the ventilated motor.....

Pistons, pins, bearings, cam systems / valve train, crank, caps other rods, etc etc etc etc

And that would include the turbo sections - in all aspects including 'mechanical'.

I can also say that if it were mine and I was there .... and I did not like the support I was gettin'.... depending ..... just might no make that would probably get my own guy on it . Meaning the right kinda' Forensic / mechanical / engine / failure person.

Not cheap and probably a little far away from your Truck's current location so...... maybe a good 'ole boy country type independent mechanic -
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 04-05-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information