Is Elon Musk Gaslighting America?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Is Elon Musk Gaslighting America?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 813 Posts

Is Elon Musk Gaslighting America?

Article from https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ghting-america Tesla look more and more like the 21th Century Tucker.

Authored by Robert Scheer via TruthDig.com,

Introduction by Natasha Hakimi Zapata,

Tesla, from the get-go, has sold itself as a green dream in our era of rapidly-worsening climate change. But there’s a lot about the electric car company that’s more nightmarish than many of its fans or even the California government, which heavily subsidizes Tesla’s operations with hundreds of millions of dollars in tax exemptions and other incentives, would like to admit.

Will Evans, an award-winning journalist with the Center for Investigative Reporting, published a hard-hitting series about Tesla’s flagrant labor violations, exposing Elon Musk’s purportedly progressive business for what it truly is: a green mirage. In the series, Evans reports on the clash between the manufacturing elements of the company and the management that operates like a tech startup, and how this contradiction has created often dangerous conditions for Tesla factory workers. Rather than address these very real issues, however, Musk and his company have chosen to brush them off and hide reports of injuries in order to maintain the illusion its customers buy into when they purchase their luxurious Tesla cars.

“We started looking into Tesla because we were hearing that there was safety problems there, people getting hurt,” Evans tells Truthdig Editor in Chief Robert Scheer in the latest installment of “Scheer Intelligence.”

“It has this great reputation for being this futuristic, forward-thinking, world-saving company that’s going to bring sustainable energy to transportation and revolutionize how we do things. And a lot of people go there because of that.

“What we found was that, under pressure to meet its production goals, it was really leaving safety, worker safety, by the wayside, and had prioritized cranking out cars as fast as possible, and left its workers dealing with all kinds of serious injuries. And then was actually trying to hide those injuries in order to make its safety record look better.”

The revelations should have jolted Musk and California officials to take a deeper look into the company’s operations, but quite the opposite took place. While state officials did in fact grill Tesla after the investigative reports were published, according to Evans, they are mostly afraid regulating the company could push Tesla—with its factory and the jobs it creates—out of the state. As for the CEO, he had a response that anyone reading any newsabout the arrogant tech baron might expect.

“The company and its supporters, and Elon, sees this all as sort of an attack on him and on the company—that people want to see it fail,” Evans tells Scheer. “[Tesla] went as far as to say that [the Center for Investigative Reporting” is] an extremist organization … working on a disinformation campaign. [Musk] went on to attack journalists in general for being beholden to the fossil fuel industry because of advertisements, and gthat that’s why journalists are out to get Tesla.

“When someone pointed out that, hey, over here at the Center for Investigative Reporting we don’t even have advertisements, we’re a nonprofit, he went on Twitter and he called us just a bunch of rich kids from Berkeley who took their political science professor too seriously. That was his diss.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,981 Times in 3,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Is Elon Musk Gaslighting America?

Green is the new Red, with all the ugly implications. Workers get hurt? Hire another worker! Peasants are expendable. They count for nothing.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 7,208 Times in 3,709 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

First, I don't want workers to be hurt, etc..

With that said, where there is manufacturing and humans, there will be injuries. Anyone believing otherwise is an idealist with blinders on, thinking no one will get hurt at Tesla, being that it is a software/tech company and "no one gets hurt writing software".

So a certain level of injury is to be expected, but if Tesla has excessive injury rates then their processes need to be looked into.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

emh (06-25-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks

Sits back and grabs a beer. Genuinely curious to see what GMI hates more: Tesla or labor advocacy groups.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-25-2019),jesda1 (06-25-2019),Mr. Burns (06-26-2019),sdotjeezy (06-25-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

I worked in an assembly plant for four years. I NEVER saw or heard of any serious injury. A cut finger, maybe. Not even someone walking into a rack that carried parts. More people got hurt in basic training. Like one guy who fell off the slide-down-the-line line and was killed. Another platoon.

I worked the hood bank for at least two years. We ran about 50 per hour. Sometimes we'd (two man operation) work it alone for 5-10 minutes if the other guy needed a break. Nobody ever dropped a 70 pound hood on his foot, or on the floor, or anywhere.
    Looking back, it's kind of remarkable that on a floor with 20-30 guys working various jobs with lots of moving parts chugging along the line, I never saw an injury event.

When we toured the Ford Rouge Plant a few years back, other than tripping I don't see how anyone could get injured there. That was candy ass work, slow, no exertion except for a couple of times I saw someone using some body language to get a seat in. To build a hazardous assembly plant these days you'd have to ignore all the lessons from everyone who's been doing it for 50 or 100 or more years.

I'd like to see the data on Tesla injuries. I suspect there's roots to the story. I think Musk thought putting cars together was as simple as rocket science.

But again, data from the Tent Factory vs. a few US based factories--we're talking assembly plants I presume--chosen at random would enlighten.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-26-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emh View Post
    sits back and grabs a beer. Genuinely curious to see what gmi hates more: Tesla and labor advocacy groups.
    fify.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DequindreToo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Buick Regal Turbo

Yes. Next question...

Thanks
    My Ride

I can also state that there were plenty of F-ups at the factory I worked at. When a work buddy moved on to another job or quit or whatever, the parade of useless peckerheads that the foreman brought me was truly pathetic. It was easier working the job alone than with almost all those guys.

Plus some people take F-off medical leaves due to injuries real or fake. I remember seeing one guy, I forget where, who said he was "tired and lacking energy." Yeah. He was that.

Plus factory rats have a tendency to call in, probably lots more than office stiffs. So a deeper dig into the data is needed, raw data are just raw data.

GovernmentBusinessSafety
    Josh Eidelson and Dana Hull | Bloomberg News
    March 19, 2019 11:15 AM, EDT
    Tesla Factory Injuries Idled Workers Three Times as Much in 2018
    Tesla Tesla car in production at the Fremont, Calif., plant. (David Paul Morris/Bloomberg News)
    Tesla Inc. factory employees spent almost three times as many days off the job because of work-related injuries and illness in 2018 as the year before, an indication of just how much strain they were under as they manufactured electric cars at scale for the first time.

Staff at Tesla’s lone assembly plant in Fremont, Calif., logged 22,454 days lost in 2018, up from 7,619 in 2017, according to a report the company submitted to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. This surge outpaced increases in hours worked, total injuries and number of cases in which injuries caused employees to be absent.

When taking headcount growth into account, the amount of time away per worker doubled last year. The overall rate of injuries per hour of work remained roughly the same as in 2017.

The sharp increase in the number of days away from work suggests a greater severity of injuries, said Deborah Berkowitz, who served as OSHA’s chief of staff under President Barack Obama and called the data “alarming.” The rise in the average time missed — to 66 work days in 2018 from 35 the year before — is a “red flag,” she said.

Tesla disputes this conclusion, saying there’s no correlation between the number of days employees are out of work and the severity of injuries. The report shows the company managed to boost production while keeping the number of injuries roughly in proportion with the rise in total hours worked, Laurie Shelby, Tesla’s vice president for environmental health and safety, said in a phone interview. There were no fatalities at the factory either year.

“The most important metric is fatalities, and our number is zero,” Shelby said. “It was a big ramp year for Model 3, so there were a lot more hours worked, more production staff and more potential for incidents. We really focused on making sure we had our safety team out in the area as we ramped.”

Tesla arranged for Richard Fairfax, a former OSHA official who advises companies including the electric-car maker and visited the Fremont plant last summer, to send a statement vouching for workplace practices.

“Considering what a young company Tesla is, acknowledging all the regulatory and media scrutiny they are under and comparing their current program with the program that was in place three years ago in my mind shows an impressive level of improvement in such a short time period,” Fairfax said.

Other safety advocates are less impressed. Tesla’s reported spike in missed days is “a pretty dramatic trend,” said Peter Dooley, a consultant for the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health. “That’s an indicator of real serious problems,” said Dooley, who coordinated educational programs for the United Auto Workers international union, which has more recently been trying to organize the Fremont factory.

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/tesl...imes-much-2018
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-26-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

"...our era of rapidly-worsening climate change"

our rapidly-worsening fear of climate change.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Myron 65 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (06-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 959 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    "no one gets hurt writing software".
    Anyone who thinks that has never written software.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-26-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Myron 65 View Post
    "...our era of rapidly-worsening climate change"

our rapidly-worsening deranged paranoia regarding climate change.
    Fixed.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (06-26-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

I want a Model 3 as my next car, but I'm not paying $900 a month to lease one to fund Musk's robotaxi venture. **** that.

I like it, but I'm not paying C63 S AMG money for it.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (06-26-2019)

Walking
    Thanks

A certain number of injuries is to be expected, but not quite so many, especially at a very roboticized operation—or maybe it was badly automated? Either way, it would explain a lot if Musk did not really care about anyone who can't afford one of his cars—you know, the ones that were supposed to be $30,000 but only sold for $42,000 and up for most of their life? I've known people who judged everyone by their incomes... the idea was that income was the way to tell if God looked favorably on people. (Sounds insane now that I write it down but that was the belief system.)

In any case, I find Tesla, through Musk, has lied pretty constantly, about pretty much everything... a guy who calls a rescue worker a pedophile and then doubles down on it, is not a guy I'd trust.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Dave333 View Post
    A certain number of injuries is to be expected, but not quite so many, especially at a very roboticized operation—or maybe it was badly automated? Either way, it would explain a lot if Musk did not really care about anyone who can't afford one of his cars—you know, the ones that were supposed to be $30,000 but only sold for $42,000 and up for most of their life? I've known people who judged everyone by their incomes... the idea was that income was the way to tell if God looked favorably on people. (Sounds insane now that I write it down but that was the belief system.)

In any case, I find Tesla, through Musk, has lied pretty constantly, about pretty much everything... a guy who calls a rescue worker a pedophile and then doubles down on it, is not a guy I'd trust.
    Good point. You'd have to be mildly insane to make such a comment, or be a typical guilt-riddled do-gooder projecting his own pathology onto any nearby target.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

jesda1 (06-28-2019)

emh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    I want a Model 3 as my next car, but I'm not paying $900 a month to lease one to fund Musk's robotaxi venture. **** that.

I like it, but I'm not paying C63 S AMG money for it.
    Say what? Even a Model 3 Performance with all the options doesn't even come close to the MSRP of a C63. And, if you don't need the higher-end variants, you could get a Model 3 for half the MSRP of a C63. And don't leases on the Model 3 start at $399/mo?
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

27. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (06-28-2019)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements