Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

The Dodge Challenger is a muscle car that’s been around in its current form since 2008, and has roots in 1990s Mercedes-Benz architecture. But Dodge sold more than twice the number of Challengers in the U.S. market in 2019 as it did in 2009, when the car still qualified as “new.” That makes the Dodge Challenger a modern marketing marvel, both for its sheer sales numbers and for making us all perpetually forget how old it is.

Fiat Chrysler announced its Q4 and annual sales results on Friday, which listed Challenger sales at 14,298 quarterly and 60,997 annually. That’s roughly where sales were in 2018 as well, but the more important comparisons come when you look toward the beginning of the decade, around the time when the Challenger returned to the market for the 2008 model year.

Back then, when the car was actually “new” to the U.S. market, sales were less than half of what they are now. Here’s how Challenger sales have trended over the years, which can be easily summarized as “up”:

Sales of the also-old Charger have risen, too, but not as much. The company sold 60,651 of them during the 2009 calendar year, compared to 96,935 in 2019.

The Challenger came to the U.S. market at a hard time for gas-guzzling fun cars, because it was just around the Great Recession. But the fact that it’s managed to not just stay relevant for more than a decade, but more than double its U.S. sales numbers, is a testament to just how obsessed we all are with wasteful, old, no-care muscle cars so long as Dodge keeps tossing more special editions and drag-strip monsters toward us. As of the first quarter of 2019, Challenger sales were ahead of the Chevy Camaro but behind the Ford Mustang, and the average buyer age for the car was 51.

No matter which crowds or age groups are buying the Challenger, though, it’s still being bought—by a whole lot of people. That’s a wild statistic for a vehicle so similar to the one that was on the market more than a decade ago, especially when the modern car industry claims to be all about “future technology” and “mobility.”

https://jalopnik.com/the-ancient-dod...ice-1840793270
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

But, but the ring times!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lowboy For This Useful Post:

Extreme4x4 (01-04-2020),Neanderthal (01-04-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020),SP1966 (01-04-2020),Stéphane Dumas (01-07-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    But, but the ring times!
    Who on this planet would've predicted something like this?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,256 Posts

But, but the ring times!
    But....but....its platform is ancient
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (01-04-2020),ryannel2003 (01-05-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,334 Posts

But, but the ring times!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    But....but....its platform is ancient
    But.... But....

It was free

It has cost next to nothing due to little to no improvements or R&D

It allows for cheap MSRP

It allows for massive cash currently on the hood to buy market share that isn't improving yoy

It's easy to compare 1st year sales numbers to this year's sales numbers, what's the difference between now and 5 years ago, between now and last year? Nearly nothing is the answer. My guess based on what I remember from the sales reports that get posted here are that they are less.

This is not an accomplishment.

Is anyone here really daft enough to think that if the 2010 Camaro, that sold in epic numbers, had been on sale until now with little to no change the market would be pleased no matter how cheap it was? Different standards at play here.
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 01-04-2020 at 03:13 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-04-2020),mbukukanyau (01-04-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

I think two things help challenger. One it is nostalgic. My brother had one in the late 70's and my memory is that the current model looks very much like the one from the 70's. Second is price for real V8 muscle car sound. Pretty large interior too.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-04-2020),Neanderthal (01-04-2020),richmond2000 (01-04-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    But.... But....

It was free

It has cost next to nothing due to little to no improvements or R&D

It allows for cheap MSRP

It allows for massive cash currently on the hood to buy market share that isn't improving yoy

It's easy to compare 1st year sales numbers to this year's sales numbers, what's the difference between now and 5 years ago, between now and last year? Nearly nothing is the answer. My guess based on what I remember from the sales reports that get posted here are that they are less.

This is not an accomplishment.

Is anyone here really daft enough to think that if the 2010 Camaro, that sold in epic numbers, had been on sale until now with little to no change the market would be pleased no matter how cheap it was? Different standards at play here.
    Agreed, no one on GMI would agree to a business model following what FCA has done with the Challenger - keeping a chassis for 20+ years with little change. We'd have a 100+ page thread criticizing GM; it would make the CT5 kink thread look like nothing (and now many are retreating from now that real life pictures are being seen). On paper virtually everyone would've approved the Alpha chassis Camaro - world class handling, etc.. Hindsight is 20-20 and the grass is always greener.

However, I will say good for FCA and they are providing customers what they want. It is a cool looking car. Cheap power with decent room and good looks sells.

But how will FCA update the Challenger without the price skyrocketing from putting it on a new chassis? I'll be interested to see how FCA pulls that off.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (01-04-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I think two things help challenger. One it is nostalgic. My brother had one in the late 70's and my memory is that the current model looks very much like the one from the 70's. Second is price for real V8 muscle car sound. Pretty large interior too.
    Exactly the point and that's what got my brother into his now second one, the first being a 2009.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Real car with real inside space + real trunk, + real V8 Powah plus real cheap. Yeah, that's one loser for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Exactly the point and that's what got my brother into his now second one, the first being a 2009.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (01-05-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020)

Thanks

As long as the platform doesnt have some stupid limitation...like not being able to support in dash nav, an advanced trans, radar cruise, or so on...I dont care how old it is. The LX platform has evolved from using an archaic 5 speed to a bulletproof 8 speed with an appropriate amount of tech for the time. So IMO there's no need to replace LX or if GM were still using Zeta they'd be no need to replace it either.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (01-04-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Agreed, no one on GMI would agree to a business model following what FCA has done with the Challenger - keeping a chassis for 20+ years with little change. We'd have a 100+ page thread criticizing GM; it would make the CT5 kink thread look like nothing (and now many are retreating from now that real life pictures are being seen). On paper virtually everyone would've approved the Alpha chassis Camaro - world class handling, etc.. Hindsight is 20-20 and the grass is always greener.

However, I will say good for FCA and they are providing customers what they want. It is a cool looking car. Cheap power with decent room and good looks sells.

But how will FCA update the Challenger without the price skyrocketing from putting it on a new chassis? I'll be interested to see how FCA pulls that off.
    Actually.... I remember there being quite a bit of threads about Zeta and it dying taking away any type of usable coupe. Had GM been smart they would have played Zeta out for a decade instead of dumping billions into Alpha and losing money for 15+ years.

GM has this idiotic thinking that they have to update and rebuild platforms every 7-9 years instead of building something that can be upgraded without any factory retooling.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Lowboy (01-04-2020),richmond2000 (01-04-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    [I]The Dodge Challenger is a muscle car that’s been around in its current form since 2008, and has roots in 1990s Mercedes-Benz architecture.
    https://jalopnik.com/the-ancient-dod...ice-1840793270
    This is not true. The platform is 100% Chrysler. I used to think that too.. because its been said too many times, but there is no Mercedes in the platform.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

09W (01-04-2020),Juche (01-05-2020),ryannel2003 (01-05-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020),SP1966 (01-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I wouldn't.
    It's not broken, so why fix it?
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-04-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I wouldn't.
    It's not broken, so why fix it?
    Of course it's broken. Just how long do you think they can go on selling the same car year after year? What's left to "update" without spending any money? A 10 speed trans instead of the 8? They can't keep putting even more cash then they already have on the hood just to sell the same amount of cars every year, they do have fixed costs of materials and labor and profit margins to maintain. They are hitting the brick wall of diminished returns. ChryCo buyers may not have many standards but sooner or later they are going to figure out that they are paying new car money for the same car they just traded in.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (01-04-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Of course it's broken. Just how long do you think they can go on selling the same car year after year? What's left to "update" without spending any money? A 10 speed trans instead of the 8? They can't keep putting even more cash then they already have on the hood just to sell the same amount of cars every year, they do have fixed costs of materials and labor and profit margins to maintain. They are hitting the brick wall of diminished returns. ChryCo buyers may not have many standards but sooner or later they are going to figure out that they are paying new car money for the same car they just traded in.
    Let me ask this question....what would be the benefit to switching to a more "modern" platform?

Lighter curb weight....so
    A few extra tenths of lateral Gs...so
    Hybridization....they can probably do that to the current platform....but I'll concede this for the sake of argument.

I'll add this to the whole lack of reason for upgrading....some people want to have the latest and greatest or latest variant, hell if they offered a 2021 Magnum, my ass would be at the dealer tomorrow with a deposit on a Mag Hellcat.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 01-04-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

29. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (01-04-2020)

30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information