Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 50

Thread: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

  1. #1
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,413
    Thanks
    8,619
    Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,301 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    The Dodge Challenger is a muscle car that’s been around in its current form since 2008, and has roots in 1990s Mercedes-Benz architecture. But Dodge sold more than twice the number of Challengers in the U.S. market in 2019 as it did in 2009, when the car still qualified as “new.” That makes the Dodge Challenger a modern marketing marvel, both for its sheer sales numbers and for making us all perpetually forget how old it is.

    Fiat Chrysler announced its Q4 and annual sales results on Friday, which listed Challenger sales at 14,298 quarterly and 60,997 annually. That’s roughly where sales were in 2018 as well, but the more important comparisons come when you look toward the beginning of the decade, around the time when the Challenger returned to the market for the 2008 model year.

    Back then, when the car was actually “new” to the U.S. market, sales were less than half of what they are now. Here’s how Challenger sales have trended over the years, which can be easily summarized as “up”:

    Sales of the also-old Charger have risen, too, but not as much. The company sold 60,651 of them during the 2009 calendar year, compared to 96,935 in 2019.

    The Challenger came to the U.S. market at a hard time for gas-guzzling fun cars, because it was just around the Great Recession. But the fact that it’s managed to not just stay relevant for more than a decade, but more than double its U.S. sales numbers, is a testament to just how obsessed we all are with wasteful, old, no-care muscle cars so long as Dodge keeps tossing more special editions and drag-strip monsters toward us. As of the first quarter of 2019, Challenger sales were ahead of the Chevy Camaro but behind the Ford Mustang, and the average buyer age for the car was 51.

    No matter which crowds or age groups are buying the Challenger, though, it’s still being bought—by a whole lot of people. That’s a wild statistic for a vehicle so similar to the one that was on the market more than a decade ago, especially when the modern car industry claims to be all about “future technology” and “mobility.”

    https://jalopnik.com/the-ancient-dod...ice-1840793270
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Lowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,546
    Thanks
    198
    Thanked 502 Times in 311 Posts
    My Ride
    Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    But, but the ring times!

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lowboy For This Useful Post:

    Extreme4x4 (01-04-2020),Neanderthal (01-04-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020),SP1966 (01-04-2020),Stéphane Dumas (01-07-2020)

  5. #3
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,156
    Thanks
    5,725
    Thanked 8,181 Times in 4,077 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    But, but the ring times!
    Who on this planet would've predicted something like this?

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 870 Posts

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    But, but the ring times!
    But....but....its platform is ancient
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (01-04-2020),ryannel2003 (01-05-2020)

  9. #5
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 JimmyDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,981
    Thanks
    1,726
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,153 Posts

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowboy View Post
    But, but the ring times!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    But....but....its platform is ancient
    But.... But....

    It was free

    It has cost next to nothing due to little to no improvements or R&D

    It allows for cheap MSRP

    It allows for massive cash currently on the hood to buy market share that isn't improving yoy

    It's easy to compare 1st year sales numbers to this year's sales numbers, what's the difference between now and 5 years ago, between now and last year? Nearly nothing is the answer. My guess based on what I remember from the sales reports that get posted here are that they are less.

    This is not an accomplishment.

    Is anyone here really daft enough to think that if the 2010 Camaro, that sold in epic numbers, had been on sale until now with little to no change the market would be pleased no matter how cheap it was? Different standards at play here.
    Last edited by JimmyDiablo; 01-04-2020 at 04:13 PM.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

    BlackGTP (01-04-2020),mbukukanyau (01-04-2020)

  11. #6
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    742
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 442 Times in 265 Posts
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    I think two things help challenger. One it is nostalgic. My brother had one in the late 70's and my memory is that the current model looks very much like the one from the 70's. Second is price for real V8 muscle car sound. Pretty large interior too.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (01-04-2020),Neanderthal (01-04-2020),richmond2000 (01-04-2020)

  13. #7
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    14,156
    Thanks
    5,725
    Thanked 8,181 Times in 4,077 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    But.... But....

    It was free

    It has cost next to nothing due to little to no improvements or R&D

    It allows for cheap MSRP

    It allows for massive cash currently on the hood to buy market share that isn't improving yoy

    It's easy to compare 1st year sales numbers to this year's sales numbers, what's the difference between now and 5 years ago, between now and last year? Nearly nothing is the answer. My guess based on what I remember from the sales reports that get posted here are that they are less.

    This is not an accomplishment.

    Is anyone here really daft enough to think that if the 2010 Camaro, that sold in epic numbers, had been on sale until now with little to no change the market would be pleased no matter how cheap it was? Different standards at play here.
    Agreed, no one on GMI would agree to a business model following what FCA has done with the Challenger - keeping a chassis for 20+ years with little change. We'd have a 100+ page thread criticizing GM; it would make the CT5 kink thread look like nothing (and now many are retreating from now that real life pictures are being seen). On paper virtually everyone would've approved the Alpha chassis Camaro - world class handling, etc.. Hindsight is 20-20 and the grass is always greener.

    However, I will say good for FCA and they are providing customers what they want. It is a cool looking car. Cheap power with decent room and good looks sells.

    But how will FCA update the Challenger without the price skyrocketing from putting it on a new chassis? I'll be interested to see how FCA pulls that off.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    JimmyDiablo (01-04-2020)

  15. #8
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut.
    Posts
    9,299
    Thanks
    11,606
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 2,095 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I think two things help challenger. One it is nostalgic. My brother had one in the late 70's and my memory is that the current model looks very much like the one from the 70's. Second is price for real V8 muscle car sound. Pretty large interior too.
    Exactly the point and that's what got my brother into his now second one, the first being a 2009.

  16. #9
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    34,413
    Thanks
    8,619
    Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,301 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    I think two things help challenger. One it is nostalgic. My brother had one in the late 70's and my memory is that the current model looks very much like the one from the 70's. Second is price for real V8 muscle car sound. Pretty large interior too.
    Real car with real inside space + real trunk, + real V8 Powah plus real cheap. Yeah, that's one loser for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Exactly the point and that's what got my brother into his now second one, the first being a 2009.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

    Hidden Content

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (01-05-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020)

  18. #10
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 870 Posts

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    As long as the platform doesnt have some stupid limitation...like not being able to support in dash nav, an advanced trans, radar cruise, or so on...I dont care how old it is. The LX platform has evolved from using an archaic 5 speed to a bulletproof 8 speed with an appropriate amount of tech for the time. So IMO there's no need to replace LX or if GM were still using Zeta they'd be no need to replace it either.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (01-04-2020)

  20. #11
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,535
    Thanks
    2,150
    Thanked 4,479 Times in 2,540 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Agreed, no one on GMI would agree to a business model following what FCA has done with the Challenger - keeping a chassis for 20+ years with little change. We'd have a 100+ page thread criticizing GM; it would make the CT5 kink thread look like nothing (and now many are retreating from now that real life pictures are being seen). On paper virtually everyone would've approved the Alpha chassis Camaro - world class handling, etc.. Hindsight is 20-20 and the grass is always greener.

    However, I will say good for FCA and they are providing customers what they want. It is a cool looking car. Cheap power with decent room and good looks sells.

    But how will FCA update the Challenger without the price skyrocketing from putting it on a new chassis? I'll be interested to see how FCA pulls that off.
    Actually.... I remember there being quite a bit of threads about Zeta and it dying taking away any type of usable coupe. Had GM been smart they would have played Zeta out for a decade instead of dumping billions into Alpha and losing money for 15+ years.

    GM has this idiotic thinking that they have to update and rebuild platforms every 7-9 years instead of building something that can be upgraded without any factory retooling.

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

    Lowboy (01-04-2020),richmond2000 (01-04-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020)

  22. #12
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    29,652
    Thanks
    4,779
    Thanked 6,924 Times in 3,347 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    [I]The Dodge Challenger is a muscle car that’s been around in its current form since 2008, and has roots in 1990s Mercedes-Benz architecture.
    https://jalopnik.com/the-ancient-dod...ice-1840793270
    This is not true. The platform is 100% Chrysler. I used to think that too.. because its been said too many times, but there is no Mercedes in the platform.

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

    09W (01-04-2020),Juche (01-05-2020),ryannel2003 (01-05-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020),SP1966 (01-04-2020)

  24. #13
    Chevrolet VOLT eaton53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,662
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,815 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    But how will FCA update the Challenger without the price skyrocketing from putting it on a new chassis? I'll be interested to see how FCA pulls that off.
    I wouldn't.
    It's not broken, so why fix it?
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award


    2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (01-04-2020),sdotjeezy (01-04-2020)

  26. #14
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 JimmyDiablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,981
    Thanks
    1,726
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,153 Posts

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I wouldn't.
    It's not broken, so why fix it?
    Of course it's broken. Just how long do you think they can go on selling the same car year after year? What's left to "update" without spending any money? A 10 speed trans instead of the 8? They can't keep putting even more cash then they already have on the hood just to sell the same amount of cars every year, they do have fixed costs of materials and labor and profit margins to maintain. They are hitting the brick wall of diminished returns. ChryCo buyers may not have many standards but sooner or later they are going to figure out that they are paying new car money for the same car they just traded in.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

    BlackGTP (01-04-2020)

  28. #15
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    604
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 870 Posts

    Re: Dodge Challenger Now Sells More Than Twice What It Did When It Was New

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Of course it's broken. Just how long do you think they can go on selling the same car year after year? What's left to "update" without spending any money? A 10 speed trans instead of the 8? They can't keep putting even more cash then they already have on the hood just to sell the same amount of cars every year, they do have fixed costs of materials and labor and profit margins to maintain. They are hitting the brick wall of diminished returns. ChryCo buyers may not have many standards but sooner or later they are going to figure out that they are paying new car money for the same car they just traded in.
    Let me ask this question....what would be the benefit to switching to a more "modern" platform?

    Lighter curb weight....so
    A few extra tenths of lateral Gs...so
    Hybridization....they can probably do that to the current platform....but I'll concede this for the sake of argument.

    I'll add this to the whole lack of reason for upgrading....some people want to have the latest and greatest or latest variant, hell if they offered a 2021 Magnum, my ass would be at the dealer tomorrow with a deposit on a Mag Hellcat.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 01-04-2020 at 07:29 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    Neanderthal (01-04-2020)

  30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2