Do you still think GM interiors aren't improving (56k warning)??

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you still think GM interiors aren't improving (56k warning)??

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you still think GM interiors aren't improving (56k warning)??

Over the last 10 months as a member here at GMI I've noticed alot of people claiming that GM interiors aren't getting any better. Well, I've decided to prove all of you wrong who think that. And if you still believe that GM interiors aren't improving, you are biased. I've put together a comparison of current 2004 and up GM models against their previous installments.

1. 2003 S10 vs 2004 Colorado

2. 2004 Corvette vs 2005 Corvette

3. 2004 Cavalier vs 2005 Cobalt

4. 2004 Grand Am vs 2005 G6

5. 2004 Montana vs 2005 SV6

Which interior do you think has made the most improvement over the previous generation? Personally, I think the Cobalt and SV6 have made the most dramatical change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Do you still think GM interiors aren't improving (56k warning)??

Malibu vs Malibu...big improvment.

All the CSV's show an improvment in interior. I think it comes down to just appearance.
    The G6's interior is much improved in feel and appearance. The leather seats look right out of a luxury car....there has to be some way of getting thoes seats and bolting them into my Malibu...
    The Cavi interior is soo bad with that odd cloth pannel on the door, and I cant stand that steering wheel.

And can someone tell my why that the CSV's got a 3 spoke steering wheel, but the cars like G6, C6, and Cobalt get a fugly 4spoke?
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I will admit the interiors are getting better, but they aren't the big leap they need to be. If somebody went quickly though the pictures you posted, I doubt they would see a huge amount of difference. It took me some time of careful study to figure out which interior was the S-10 and the Colorado. I knew which one was the Colorado interior, but it took me some time to really notice the differences (outside of the brushed aluminum trim of course).

I don't know if it is the styling or materials, but the new interiors still have that "typical" GM interior. I really don't know how to describe it, but I think GM still has a way to go to convince import buyers that GM has changed its interiors. My opinion anyway.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

This just shows how decrepit GM's interior designs have been for so long. True, there is improvement, but almost anything would be better than those injection molded plastic nightmares!

I will give GM credit for one thing, their mid 90's to 2003 interiors do share a rather remarkable design theme - totally lacking in taste and style, but it's consistent!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

I agree that most of the interiors are better, but the Colorado, to me, doesn't look that much better than the S-10. Maybe it "feels" better, but as far as looks go, I almost like the S-10 interior better.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would have to say that the S10's interior from HVAC to the pannels themselves are pretty crappy. I did like the Colorado's interior. I dont see why other people see when they say its cruddy. The pannel gaps are a lot smaller and the use of the metalic looking trim also helps break up the seat of rubbermaid black.

All GM interiors have the same plastic pannel blob look to it, anyone know what I mean? Like that huge pannel that goes from the HVAC all the way across to teh driver side door.
    That, and just the HVAC controls look much better then thoes grey switchgear.
    What GM needs to do now that they have quality down, is improve on appearance. Not quality, but appearnce. Honda's Pilot interior isnt all that great, but how its laid out. Same could be said about the Accord.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

the main thing that happened is that they took out the botox implants on the plastic surrounded all the controls (and the buttons themselves).

they also made all the colors match instead of having the tacky fat bloated looking colors stand out more with that fugly grey.

And finally the controls look like they're flush with the plastic surrounding it (instead of looking like its behind a window)

So theres the good news.

The bad news is that many (not all) of the upcoming interiors look like they're tacked together like a puzzle piece. All the pieces fit but they dont flow together. Like the G6, the Malibu and the Cadillacs (minus the STS). The Vette and the Colorado somewhat suffer this to a lesser extent. The Cobalt and the Lacrosse are better in this regard.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Squachy
    The bad news is that many (not all) of the upcoming interiors look like they're tacked together like a puzzle piece. All the pieces fit but they dont flow together. Like the G6, the Malibu and the Cadillacs (minus the STS). The Vette and the Colorado somewhat suffer this to a lesser extent. The Cobalt and the Lacrosse are better in this regard.

What's wrong with the G6? it flows exceptionally well. All the Saab, minus the 9-2X have a solid design. XLR was considered the best interior of 2004. CTS and SRX are questionable interiors, but the ergonomics and the overall touch and feel are stunning.

Thanks

I think the Cavy and the Cobalt are the best improvement since the Colorado. I really like the Colorado but friday i test drove a new 05 Tacoma and mann it was nice and had some power. But it was ugly up front and i was seriously thinking about getting it. If it can alter my mind then GM should be worried that thing has set new standards for all trucks.The Trailblazer and Colorado should be redone quickly.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm really impressed with the interior of the '05 SV6. I think it looks just right. The thing about GM interiors too as of recently, they're making use of brushed aluminium, which I think makes the entire compartment look a lot better. I guess you could say I'm a sucker for brushed aluminium. I'd love to go to a dealership and take a look around at the different models and interiors but I don't have the time, I'll have to wait until this upcoming auto show and then I'll have my own first hand opinion. Other than that, I can only go on what I see in pictures and the opinions of other people. Again though, to make a real judgment you'd have to visit all of the major maunfacturer dealerships and look at all of their models to be able to thoroughly compare interiors, and cars for that matter. As long as GM keeps improving, I'm happy.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

All of the interiors have improved greatly. Even when i scroll through them quickly I can still see the differences. I think the biggest improvement is a tie between the cavie/cobalt and the montana/SV6. WOW all round, theres not much more I can say but that. I do think the Colorado would improve with a real emblem imbedded into the steering wheel rather than just the imprint in the plastic. Its the little things that people notice about a car, exterior is important but interior is what makes it. I think thats why cars dont look very distingushible now a days. Its less about making a statement and more about what you look at..... Just a thought. (Also has anyone else noticed that the Camrys taillights are HUGE! everyone says the malibus headlights are too big, but MY GOD the taillights are nearly the width of the car!)
    GM autos: the best investments I've ever made
    -------------------------------------------------------
    1986 chevy cavalier wagon-206,442 miles
    1989 oldsmobile cutlass-216,220 miles
    2000 chevy cavalier-52,367 miles --totalled Hidden Content
    2001 chevy cavalierZ24-80,654 (Something finally happened! Needed a new battery)

So lets see. Toyota lied about recalls. Lied about their HP ratings... I wonder how much truth is in their milage ratings..

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The more I look at the new interiors, the more I believe there are improvements. I was a little harsh about the Colorado interior, but I think it is better than the S-10 interior. The change isn't a gigantic change, but I do see some different thinking going on; it just needs to be pushed more.

I will have to say the Cavalier to Cobalt transformation is the most improved in my opinion. I'm still not sold on the quality of some of the interior pieces in the Cobalt, but I think the "wood" trim does add a bit of class over the rental car like interior of the Cavalier. I really never even anticipated "wood" trim in the Cobalt so I must applaud GM for that surprise.

I guess the SV6 interior is also an improvement over the previous year Montana, but I don't know if it is going to do that well in the real world. I will say they cleaned it up and gave it a more upscale feeling.

Overall, however, I still feel GM has a ways to go in the interior department in my opinion.

Thanks

I am glad that Pontiac has stopped using those ugly steering wheels. The most improved models would have to be the Cobalt and G6.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think the Vette and Cobalt have changed to most (for the good).

Even though the changes are subtle on the new C6 interior, it really is much cleaner, and more upscale.

The Cobalt interior is WAY better than the Cavalier's! I am so glad that UGLY Cavalier steering wheel is gone!!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ViperDVMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Thumbs up I think they ARE improving

Much better, in my opinion...all of them. I agree, the C6 Vette's us much cleaner than the C5's. THe dash and center console are much smoother and cleaner looking, and the C6's gauge cluser is much better looking, in my opinion.

THe Cobalt is also a huge improvement over the Cavalier. It's more upscale, more premium, even if that is faux wood, and it's much cleaner throughout. The gauge cluster on it looks great too.

As for the COlorado....it's center stack actually looks much cleaner and more like an actual center stack rather than just it and the gauge cluster as a single unit. Too Japanese sports car-like (as the Supra, Celica, and other japanese sports use a similar method in interior design). But the Japanese sports looked better than the S10.

Now comes the Grand Am/G6 comparo. THe center stack, again, is much cleaner on the G6, and follows the example of the rest of GM's cars and keeping the center stack all one unit, rather than integrating it with the gauge cluser. Hell, the Grand Amm integrated the center HVAC vents into the gauge cluster unit. To me, the center HVAC vents look better with the center console than with the gauge cluser unit. Now both gauge clusters are nice looking, but the G6's has a more upscale touch to it with the chrome accents.

As for the Montana and SV6, I apply the same comments from the S10/Colorado comparo. Again, the center cluster looks cleaner, better, more upscale, and is its own unit rather than mated with the gauge cluster. Same with the center HVAC vents, one with the center stack rather than one with the gauge cluster.

GM's interiors do look better now than the tupperware plastics they had 5 years ago, even 10 and 20. They are improving, and improving fast. And that's the bottom line, 'cause Viper 'da V-man said so.
    Y2V: Certified Car Nut

Current rides:
    '02 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr
    '14 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE
    '16 Indian Scout

Past rides:
    '94 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 (project car... sold)
    '02 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Custom (wrecked... may it RIP)
    '91 Pontiac Grand Am LE Custom

Hidden Content
    (banner made by ViperDVMan)

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information