GM Inside News Forum banner

Which nation produces the best sportscar?

• America

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Italy

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • France

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • ***an

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Korea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UK

Votes: 4 8.7%

The Coupé Battle pt.II: America vs Germany vs UK vs France vs Japan vs Korea vs Italy

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Koasterking 
#1 · (Edited)
Apologies for the loooong title....

Thought it might be interesting to see the results of this one - slightly smaller coupés from around the world, with two from each country...

America:

Pontiac G6 Coupé GXP...

...and Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6

France:

Peugeot 407 Coupé...

....and Renault Avantime 3.0 V6

Germany:

BMW 335i, 335d...

....and Audi TT 3.2 quattro

Italy:

Alfa GT 3.2 V6.....

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/al***t04_03.jpg

....and Alfa Brera 3.2 V6 Q4

Japan:

Mazda RX-8...

...and Nissan 350Z

Korea:

Hyundai Coupé 2.7 V6...

...and errmmm.....:eek:

UK:

Rover 75 Coupé...

....and MG TF GT

There you are - 7 countries, (almost!) two cars for each - so vote!

Before I get abused and flamed and branded as a GM-hater and burned at stake etc etc; I know the last two MG Rover products didn't make production, it's just a what if situation really. And yes, the Avantime isn't in production any more, and yes there isn't a Korean one, and yes...

But PLEASE, for the love of almighty God can we PLEASE just not nitpick and grumble and groan and just take this thread for what it is; a little light entertainment...

I cannot stress enough how I don't want this thread to dwindle down into the 'Brit vs USA' and 'wtf we dun't do nuffink' arguments that seem to have dominated many threads recently...

Anyway, have fun deciding...

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: The Coupé Battle pt.II: America vs Germany vs UK vs France vs Japan vs Korea vs Italy

Ja, Deutschland. Der BMW und der Audi sind wunderbar.

#7 ·
Re: The Coupé Battle pt.II: America vs Germany vs UK vs France vs Japan vs Korea vs Italy

Germany makes the better sports car in my opinion, if taken in the context of total performance. When considering cost etc....oh sorry, I'm nit picking. :)

Germany for sure:D

#11 ·

Avantime rocks - how can you not like it?!

Italians really don't appeal - the Brera sounds like a tractor with the awful diesel and the GT isn't that enticing.

#12 ·
Re: The Coupé Battle pt.II: America vs Germany vs UK vs France vs Japan vs Korea vs I

I'd have to go with the Fatherlande as well........

Too bad the Mark VIII LSC and Eldorado ETC are gone.....:(

#14 ·

Yes, lovely thing isn't it.

Sadly it's not in there though, so live with it. Ah well, if I don't get bollocked by a GM fanboy I get flamed by someone who is deeply in love with the Mustang....it's just not possible to do anything right here because you get criticised. Pathetic.

#15 · (Edited)

Saleen S7, SSC Aero, Mosler, Ford GT, XLR, Viper, Shelby Series II, Corvette, Panoz, Camaro, Mustang, Solistice, Sky, etc..

My vote goes for America.

#16 ·

based on the cars shown... gotta say Germany.

overall... Americans are best at lower end, Italians for upper end...

#17 · (Edited)

tomprice said:
Avantime rocks - how can you not like it?!
I want to... I really really want to... I usually love odd-duck vehicles. Actually saw an Avantime on the way to work today, which was fate... it let me take a good look before posting and telling you that as much as I want to I can't say that I like it, I can't. The idea is cool, but it's just so... I dunno... blocky. The grey C-pillar strikes me as odd, and it just overly doesn't seem like a coherent design to me. Comes across as a kids toy they enlarged.

#18 ·

Butz how is a Saleen comparable to a boggo TT? That wasn't the point - it was small coupés, and I said that originally in my original post which is originally above didn't I?

And if you're going to be like that I'll just volunteer the Veyron, the Carrera GT, the SLR, the SL, the 911, the Nardo, the 959, the Cayman S, the Boxster, the Z8, the Z1, the M1, the M6, the M3, the Z4M, the 916 and last but not least the CL65 AMG. If you're going to be a smart harris and defeat the entire point of the thread, which was which country produces the best small, sporty coupé, then start your own with and then I'll come along and complain and complain in that. Wise up, this was a thread for fun and yet again it's turning into a stupid 'America is gurt best and we want you to know it' discussion.

#19 ·

Sorry about that paul - though I still can't see how you don't like it! :p:

I suppose the concept of it is always going to be a little challenging - a (IMO!!!) sleek and beautiful French coupé combined with, err, an Espace.

I think the rear is the best bit - just look at those tailights! It's also practical (a diesel version and four proper seats!) and is also temptingly cheap...

But, I suppose it's each to his own as it's very definitely a love/hate design, the styling of it is my favourite part of it bar the price and the styling is your least favourite! :)

What do you think of the Vel Satis, C6 and 407 Coupé then?

I'm not sure about the VS, too upright for my liking, the C6 is fab, absolutely marvellous, bar the interior which is sadly lifted almost straight from a 407. 407 Coupé looks a lot better in person than it does in the photos, and depreciates reasonably well for a sad person like me who dreams of owning a big, extrovert, French beastie in years to come...

#20 ·

Does history in coupe building apply???

If history is a factor, I would say America then Germany (or Europe as a whole)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.