GM Inside News Forum banner

Code name ZERV

12K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  JimmyDiablo 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#11 ·
Holy cow, a COIL spring... in the SUSPENSION!!

#18 ·
GM has superfortress like security to protect their intellectual property. If an employee leaked these pictures, GM without question will find the culprit and take tremendous legal action. I don't think anyone would risk their career leaking this info. On the other hand, why would GM intentionally leak their IP? Maybe to scare competition? Who knows.

#19 ·
If the C8 is imminent then there isn't much in these pictures that would help the opposition. All of the details (or most) will be shown at the reveal, so if this is a staged leak it's probably just to generate interest/hype/mystery prior to launch. The fact it has coils springs, isn't a massive revelation or of much value to a competitor.

If it's going to be shown in Detroit we should get word of that any day now, probably coupled with some teaser pictures of things such as badgework. Wherever these pictures came from it's certainly piqued my level of interest even more than it already was.

#23 ·
Would the initial launch with a normally aspirated 6.2L in a ME version of a 'Vette help to segue the consumers into more easily accept the new platform?

I think it's sad if this is how they choose to introduce the C8, sort of the how do you boil a frog conundrum; frog in cool water, and then turn up the heat slowly approach.

If this is GM's leak, it is disgustingly cynical of it's own concept.

#33 ·
What do you guys see here? Is the transmission behind the engine and is that a radiator or a bumper behind the transmission? Are those cadalytic converters over the transmission?

Is that the firewall to the left of the transmission or is that the rear bumper honeycomb? Or is it a radiator out back? To the left of the transmission?

Who can tell?

#35 ·
I thinks it's highly likely that GM are the ones leaking the info. The whole 'cease and desist' lawyer thing is to give an air of legitimacy to the notion that it's an actual unauthorized leak. It's just part of the hype train that's pulling out of the station. Just like the spy shots that are really 'photo opportunities' stage by various manufacturers.

#36 ·
Surely if this is being launched at Detroit, then some 'official' teasers should surface soon. I actually think the Geneva Auto Show in March would be a better place to launch it, so as to serve notice to the Europeans that Corvette (as a Brand) is expanding, and is about to take names. Not that Corvette hasn't already been taking names, but the few that thought they were safe are about to get served.

#37 ·
Actually that's ingenius....launch the corvette brand in Europe would be cool as hell...lol

An all electric cuv the size of a Macan with blistering performance....as well as the rear mid engine c8...

Won't happen but it would be cool under the corvette banner in a boutique type sales distribution system...

Jaguars new i pace all electric cuv is going to outstrip supply and all other jaguar sales as soon as production constraints are dealt with....

The price tags a little high starting at 76 grand and reaching to 92 thousand...

GM could easily beat the performance of the i pace and the price point as well..

Whoever produces a Macan priced all ev performance cuv starting at fifty grand will hold the new title of best seller in that price segment...

Optioning up the vehicle should add tens of thousands just like Porsche does...to the Macan..

Actually the corvette team does a good job at this as well...

The base msrp of the c7 is 56 grand and will in its final year of production reach up to around 140 grand as a fully optioned zr1...

#43 · (Edited)
I'm shocked, just shocked that it appears to be a DOHC.

There is some expectation of a sub 4.0L version for racing purposes, but that may only apply to factory race team versions.

I'm gonna really laugh if the biggest motor does turn out to be 5.5L.

Note the apparent integrated exhaust in the head a la 3.6L LFX/LGX that stubs out directly to a turbo on each side.

No boat style upswept headers like on the NA version.

#44 ·
Don't be too shocked just yet, we don't know who's getting what version. Corvette may get the NA & SC OHV, and Cadillac may get the TT DOHC. Or they are all for Cadillac, or they are all for Corvette, or they are just testing this and that and will end up with just one or the other. The possibilities are endless. We could even end up with nothing because the program gets cancelled due to whatever reason.

#45 · (Edited)
A note from the front page article:

GMI/Michael Accardi said:
...the image shows a longitudinally mounted V8 with...plumbing for the turbos that snake around themselves from back to front as it runs from the rear, centrally mounted intercooler.
This is not correct. What looks like "a rear, centrally mounted intercooler" is actually the airbox, as you will note that it is situated before the turbos in the intake plumbing. The two large, purple "plenum" boxes atop the engine are air-to-water intercoolers, much like the intercoolers that sit on top of the upside-down superchargers of the current OHV V8s like the LSA, LS9, LT4, and LT5. You can tell that this is so, due to the red and blue water pipes joining the two heat exchangers at the rear of the engine. Where that water is ultimately plumbed to in order to shed its heat back into the air stream, I do not know.

#46 · (Edited)
...The two large, purple "plenum" boxes atop the engine are air-to-water intercoolers, much like the intercoolers that sit on top of the upside-down superchargers of the current OHC V8s like the LSA, LS9, LT4, and LT5. You can tell that this is so, due to the red and blue water pipes joining the two heat exchangers at the rear of the engine. Where that water is ultimately plumbed to in order to shed its heat back into the air stream, I do not know.

Traditionally, the main cooling radiators are in the front of the car, but this may be a good place to point out that FCA utilized the AC system to provide additional cooling to the air charge on the Hellcat/Demon, and I've been waiting to see if GM and/or Ford would use electric or driven means to force-cool their power adders.

Mention has been made of missing driven units in the serpentine system, and the latest pic makes this ever more curious, with the serpentine belt hanging off of phantom pulleys.

Just a coincidence, or an idea driven by poor cooling in the previous version of the C7, and with the one-up from FCA?

Sure, mention has also been made of a driven hydraulic unit for the active aero system, (a pneumatic system may not work well due to the further compressibility of the system air in pneumatic cylinders at high speed/high wind force), but there are apparently 2 phantom pulleys in the latest pic.

One just above the phantom crank pulley, and one to the far right of the belt routing. I take the 2 hard bends at either side of the top portion to be idlers. I would place the alternator at the very top of the belt, and power steering where the large pulley is shown without a driven unit.

With the ME layout, space is even more at premium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.