Bah... No... No no no no!!!!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bah... No... No no no no!!!!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 GTO QSM

Bah... No... No no no no!!!!

Right now I'm stamping me feet and holding my breath to make my face turn red like a little kid... why?

http://www.komotv.com/stories/38680.htm
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2005 QSM GTO with M6

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > QSM GTO

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bah... No... No no no no!!!!

Not really a big deal. Tightening emissions has een the reality of the past thirty years and there's no reason for that to change. I don't see this alone as being a cause for cars to lose power.

Besides, by 2016, a lot can happen.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanRevolution
    Right now I'm stamping me feet and holding my breath to make my face turn red like a little kid... why?

http://www.komotv.com/stories/38680.htm
    This makes zero sense to me. How is this going to solve anything, so long as cars outside the portland metro area (in oregon), aren't even required to pass emissions testing anyways? One would think closing that loophole, would do more to curb emissions, than adopting california standards.

I'd like to see governor teddy spend our money more wisely. I think the whole light-rail project in portland is a joke. It doesn't go anywhere of importance, other than the airport, thanks to local politics. For the longest time, it featured a stop in front of an abandoned building for pete's sake. I also don't understand why downtown portland needs a lightrail stop at every other block. Because of stuff like this, it takes 2 hours to get from one side of town to the other. When I was in Munich, I could get from one side of town to the complete opposite side (which is much larger than the portland metro area in terms of distance covered), in about 25 minutes.

Portland metro area has pretty much tripled it's population since when I was a kid, but there are zero new freeways, and most all the freeways are still the same width now, as they were 30 years ago.

They also decided to shut down most of the emissions testing centers, and replace them with smaller numbres of "larger centers" to better fill needs. I think they replaced the many centers they had in portland, with just 3 centers. A west side, east side, and south side, to serve the entire 2.5 million people of the greater metro area.

However, everytime I swing by one, only one or two lanes is open. So basically, that means the line to the place is VEEEERY long. And of course, there is a sign telling you to keep your engine running the whole time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Its no surprise. What is needed more is a better highway system, and this goes for all of the cities I have lived in. when it takes an hour to go home and the same drive when traffic is better takes only 15 minutes, it sure has a larger impact on emissions and everyones wallet. Portlands highways are poorly set up...

GMI Contributor Premium Member nailhead425's Avatar
    Thanks

I love it when people talk about curbing CO2 emissions.

Stop breeding more CO2 production units if it is that big of a deal.

10 years ago, it was cow farts. Liberals must have an equal level of misery so they can ultimately save us all, from ourselves.
    Who is John Galt?
    -

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by 01cavalier
    Its no surprise. What is needed more is a better highway system, and this goes for all of the cities I have lived in. when it takes an hour to go home and the same drive when traffic is better takes only 15 minutes, it sure has a larger impact on emissions and everyones wallet. Portlands highways are poorly set up...

Take the train or other public transit system.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Take the train or other public transit system.
    Normally I'd agree, but Portland has a pretty crappy public transit system. So does Los Angeles. When I lived there, it was rated as the worst in the country. It takes 90 minutes to ride the bus from pasadena to downtown LA, even though it's less then 10 miles away.

Portland public transit is expensive too. If you want to take the light rail from my the station closest to my house, (which is still a good 10 miles away), and take that to my work. You have to pay for a 3 zone ticket. That's like 4 bucks. That's 8 dollars round trip. That's not even a day pass, that's just for a single fair. And I'd still have to walk about a mile to get to my work from the station.

When I was in Tokyo, you could get an all zone ticket for about a buck fifty. Likewise when I was in Munich. It was even cheaper when I was in Seoul.And in those cities, you could take the subway pretty much to anyplace you wanted to go to. And it would only take you 25 minutes tops. In portland, sometimes it could take 20 minutes just for the stupid train just to arrive at your stop. And I already mentioned earlier that it takes close to 2 hours to get from one end of the city to the other with light rail in portland. If I took lightrail to work, that's almost 4 hours a day of just riding the train. It's much faster to just drive that, even with traffic. I just work late and come home late. Then it only takes me 30 minutes to get to work.

Getting back to Portland freeways.... Not only did none of the freeways get wider in the last 30 years, some actually got smaller I-5 for example. Used to be 3 lanes in each direction. Dept of Transportation had this brilliant idea to take one of the existing lanes, and turn it into a carpool lane. Since hardly anybody carpools, that lane is empty. So instead of 100% of people using 3 lanes, now 99% of people use 2 lanes. That did wonders for traffic. Not only that, unlike LA, the carpool lanes in portland do not have double-yellow, nor are there restrictions for entry/exit. So that means people can enter/exit the carpool lane on a whim. So that means when the 2 lanes are bumper to bumper, the carpool lane is only moving 5mph, because you have to constantly watch for people trying to jump into the carpool lane. That basically makes the carpool lane useless.

Also unlike LA, portland does not feel the need to put restrictions on which lanes big rigs can use. That means often times on my way to work, there will be big rigs in all 4 lanes of the freeway, trying to pass each other, doing 20-30 under the limit.

Also unlike Caltrans, the road-maintenence guys here always do their work in the middle of the day. For the past week, they felt it necessary to close 2 of the 3 lanes of I-205, so they could do some roadwork, during rush hour. That was ugly. I don't even know why they were paving the thing anyways, the pavement was perfectly fine before.
    Last edited by a_v_s; 08-23-2005 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks

I refuse to ride on public transportation. The busses and trains are dirty, not to mention the fact that my 6'5" frame doesn't fit on them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Does the US and other parts of Canada have to get their cars Aircared once a year or once every 2 years in order to get insured? Aircare measures the emissions from your car and if they don't meet the Greater Vancouver's standards and you fail, then you have to get it repaired, then re-tested in order to allow your car to be insured.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    Does the US and other parts of Canada have to get their cars Aircared once a year or once every 2 years in order to get insured? Aircare measures the emissions from your car and if they don't meet the Greater Vancouver's standards and you fail, then you have to get it repaired, then re-tested in order to allow your car to be insured.
    Ontario has the Drive Clean program currently but that is going under review since it really didn't help get lousy cars off the streets.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief007
    Ontario has the Drive Clean program currently but that is going under review since it really didn't help get lousy cars off the streets.
    really, the only thing I hate about Aircare is it's a bit expensive, $48 every 2 years if your car is newer than 1992 and $24/year if you're car is older.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    really, the only thing I hate about Aircare is it's a bit expensive, $48 every 2 years if your car is newer than 1992 and $24/year if you're car is older.
    Yep. And it is $30 + tax for any car over 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    Far out idea-

All cars should come equipped with an electrical motor/computer system. Highways would be 'hands off' driving. Controlled by a mainframe/car computer, and running strictly on electric power...sort of like in Minority Report- input a location, the car takes you there. Off highways, you can drive yourself on gas power.

MF
    I would rip that out in an instant. Don't need technology to take over my driving, thank you very much.

Thanks

Question why are emissions an issue?? Please don't say ozone

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    So I assume you don't have ABS, electronic brake assist, power steering, traction control, etc. on any of your cars?

My point was simply that to reduce emissions might take drastic measures. And highway driving is among the most boring things to do in the world, so it got my attention.

MF
    I do have that and I agree on reducing emissions. But computers do go wrong. If my ABS fails, then all I have is locked up brakes. No big deal.

Just lately I'm not too keen on having my life relied upon a computer that does the driving on the highway. Plus I take the back roads anyway because highways have a lot of stupid drivers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by a_v_s
    Normally I'd agree, but Portland has a pretty crappy public transit system. So does Los Angeles. When I lived there, it was rated as the worst in the country. It takes 90 minutes to ride the bus from pasadena to downtown LA, even though it's less then 10 miles away.

Portland public transit is expensive too. If you want to take the light rail from my the station closest to my house, (which is still a good 10 miles away), and take that to my work. You have to pay for a 3 zone ticket. That's like 4 bucks. That's 8 dollars round trip. That's not even a day pass, that's just for a single fair. And I'd still have to walk about a mile to get to my work from the station.
    I always though Portland's public transit system was the virtual equivalent to San Francisco's -- very frequent... get to within 2 blocks of your destination in < 2 transfers, etc. That's pretty surprising.
    For SF.. it's $1.25 for a one-way ticket plus a limited time transfer good for unlimited transfers for 2-3 hours. Not too shabby. I guess you can credit SF's "Smart Growth" initiatives over the years. I mean, name me any other Ballpark in the US that gives you 5 ways of mass transit to get to the park -- Subway, Light Rail, Bus, Train, Ferry.

BART... the Nations BEst Public Transit System... (Won an award...even though it's expensive). People complain about low ridership on the Peninsula extension to SFO. But if you look where teh stations are positioned, there is not population density. But in a few years, there will be an increase in dense housing in the area, and it should pick up nicely.

But you're right... For the most part, cities in the US don't have an extensive mass transit/subway system comparable to those found in Japan or Europe. (I never got the hang of Munich's transit system... U-Bahn, S-Bahn, trains decoupling and recoupling mid-rail... it was a mess in my view. I would surmise that the only really effective mass transit systems in the US, that would be comparable to the ones in Europe and Japan, would be in the NYC metro area.
    San Francisco is there... but the greater Bay Area is still grappling with stupidly placed stations and poor ridership (VTA in Silicon Valley). But with the new crosstown Metro in SF being built, the new historic railway extending to Golden Gate Park and the Presidio, the high-speed railway extension to SF's Transbay Terminal, the new CalTrain Baby Bullet trains, and the Amtrak BART connectors, the new High-speed ferry system, plus the BART to San Jose extension, there's the makings of a really comprehensive transit system.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 08-25-2005 at 08:46 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information