Autoextremist: the sun sets on the German car thing - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Autoextremist: the sun sets on the German car thing

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 848 Posts

Re: Autoextremist: the sun sets on the German car thing

Quote Originally Posted by NHRATA01 View Post
    I knew MB was going to be in trouble when they brought that crappy CLA250 over from Eastern Europe to compete with the A3 and stripped 320i (now X1/X2) for the coveted first time real estate agent market.

They're chasing volume and diluting the brand, all 3 of the luxo German makers. The market forces moving away from sedans, and the slow death of sports sedans ensures the ultimate driving machine will never again be so except rare cases like the M2. But even still you can't tell me its not harming brand equity to have 3/4s of the showroom traffic come in for a $329/mo lease on an X1 riding off a Mini platform, while you have a 100K+ X7 or M5 parked next to it.

Scary thing is I think had Cadillac stayed the course on elevating the brand they could have come up in image to the Germans who are on their way down.
    And besides that crappy CLA250, the Mercedes guys said "Hold my beer" and got the idea of bringing a Mercedes pick-up truck who was a reskinned Nissan Titan, ouch! And so the "Mercedes Cimarron" was born.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (10-18-2019),Neanderthal (10-17-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    We had a Bentley Continental GT traded in a little over a year ago (rare trade-in for our area) and that thing had a ton of plastic. It was a 2006 with about 40K miles and the buttons were starting to come loose. Additionally, I had nothing to compare to but I swore I had seen some of those buttons in VW's. One thing I did like though was the air vents were metal. I had never seen this before and thought it would be a nice touch in a Cadillac. It stood out and felt like luxury (unlike the buttons).
    Note that Bentley's model year...that Cadillac w/ its corporate partsbin plastic buttons no better than the buttons in my $31,000 Mazda was built in 2019 and will probably cost 3x as much.

vs.

Edit: Pics of Mazda are not from my car....so that pube does not belong to me or anyone I know
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-17-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Citation84's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    This is what Aaron Serveron of Ate Up with Motors also mentionned and worth to re-mention it. https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-his...rd-one-twenty/

Did the menagers of BMW, Mercedes and Aud studied the case of Packard?
    'The company was still firmly run by President George Christopher, who had helped save it with the One Twenty, and whose most famous remark refers to the luxury Packards as “goddamn senior stuff.” '

Credit: https://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/749287

Coming to a Mercedes dealer near you.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Citation84's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    I wouldn't say every conceivable way...the CT6 is better looking on the outside and may have better driving dynamics, but the one thing its absolutely supposed to do as a luxury car, it falls flat on it's face:

vs.

Not too mention this is what GM thing you should be touching when operating your CT6:

Like I said, dynamically the CT6 is probably superior, but GM is chasing the wrong bogey with making the CT6 ultra-lightweight and super responsive. Its supposed to be a luxury car first, sporty second.
    OMG those awful gigantic consoles. And one wonders why sedans are dying. Just put up a wall down the middle of the frigging car.

Where on the color wheel does orange complement grey ? And orange leather to boot. Ugh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Citation84 For This Useful Post:

gb2000 (10-21-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,413 Times in 714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
    OMG those awful gigantic consoles. And one wonders why sedans are dying. Just put up a wall down the middle of the frigging car.

Where on the color wheel does orange complement grey ? And orange leather to boot. Ugh.
    See that's the beauty of true lux sedans...that massive console is optional...don't want it, get the standard setup. Caddy doesn't even go that far, flip down armrest w/ some basic looking seat controls is about it. The quilting you all hate...also optional.

I recall an article from back where Uwe Ellinghaus was advocating for Caddy to get their own switchgear...seems like that only kinda took off as they have their own core design elements, but the switchgear is still mainstream partsbin.

Found it:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...wn-switchgear/
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123