Autoextremist: a masterclass in greed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autoextremist: a masterclass in greed

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,636 Times in 944 Posts

Autoextremist: a masterclass in greed

PDL rant about Porsche on this week AE rant of the week. www.autoextremist.com
    A MASTERCLASS IN GREED.
    DateMONDAY, JULY 6, 2020 AT 10:17AM
    By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. It’s no secret that Porsche has leveraged its brand cachet for all it's worth. The once-humble little car company founded on the idea of building lithe sports cars has grown into an automotive touchstone and one of the most profitable car companies in the world.

That Porsche was forced to stray far from its roots, however, was inevitable. After all, building legendary sports cars and fantastic racing cars – and achieving major racing victories across the globe – could only take the company so far before the realities of survival became the single most important issue facing the company.

Becoming part of the VW Group juggernaut allowed Porsche to have a solid foundation of financial stability, but even that wasn’t enough. So, the company embarked on a strategy that Porsche operatives believed would allow it to survive – and thrive – well into the future. Starting with the Cayenne SUV and further expanded with the Macan SUV, Porsche focused on the hottest market segment and made the transition from being a sports car maker that happened to dabble in SUVs, to an SUV maker that happened to still build sports cars for the True Believers willing to invest in the brand. And now, Cayenne and Macan account for more than 60 percent of Porsche sales worldwide.

But being part of the VW Group has brought new pressure to bear on Porsche. VW is going all-in on electrification of its vehicle lineup, and Porsche is expected to contribute mightily to that effort. Which is why the company is offering its new, fully electric Taycan. But there’s proof that this transition is going to be costly for Porsche, because the company is pulling the plug on its factory-supported Porsche 911 RSRs in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at the end of the season. The symbolism of this move was hard to miss. Porsche is walking away from its raison d’etre – competing at the highest level of major league sports car racing – in order to devote all of its engineering focus and energy to building more EVs throughout its product lineup. That Porsche still makes brilliant sports cars – the 718 and 911 - is duly noted, and they will for years to come. Slowly but surely, however, Porsche is transforming into something else altogether, and where the company will end up will be interesting to watch.

One thing that will never change at Porsche, apparently, is the fact that they employ the most creative – and flat-out usurious – pricing and option structure in the business, which is the reason it is one of if not the most profitable car company in the world. Now, to be clear, I have no problem with car companies making money; it’s the name of the game, in fact. But Porsche’s pricing approach has been to gouge both its True Believer enthusiasts and its new SUV aficionados with equal ruthlessness. It’s nothing short of a Masterclass in Greed.

For today’s discussion, I will give just one example of Porsche’s prodigious fleecing of its customers, but you can certainly extrapolate this across its entire product lineup. Let’s take a close look at the new Porsche Cayenne GTS Coupe, which has experienced saturated automotive media coverage of late.

To call the Cayenne GTS Coupe a “coupe” is disingenuous, at best, because it’s just a four-door Cayenne with a slightly faster back, and less rear headroom. But this trend is not new, as BMW and Mercedes-Benz have been flogging this notion for years. I guess some would could call it “sporty,” but I loathe that description when it comes to automobiles, so I’ll just leave it here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,000 Times in 4,803 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Autoextremist: a masterclass in greed

If you want a Porsche, you pay for a Porsche.

I don't think it's "fleecing" when the sheep willingly go to slaughter. And while a fool and his money are soon parted, I'd guess most Porsche customers know exactly what they're doing.

Maybe nothing else to write about this week. Very sad.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2020),BlackGTP (07-07-2020),gkr778 (07-06-2020),mbukukanyau (07-07-2020),Rumpole (07-06-2020),The Handler (07-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Was thinking the same thing.... VW is clearly gouging, but no one is forcing people to buy one, so can you blame Porsche?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-07-2020),mbukukanyau (07-07-2020),Neanderthal (07-07-2020),The Handler (07-07-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,916 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Oh, they're not even close to gouging.
    How 'bout this?

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product...g-H077893CJAP/

Doesn't even come with a key!
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    How 'bout this?

Or a ring
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Thanks
    My Ride

How 'bout this?

Holy crap, probably costs $2 to make, just shows Porsche has more room to gouge even more!

Even if I were the worlds richest man I'd not spend $1k on a trinket like that that doesn't even do anything.

Thanks
    My Ride

How 'bout this?

Looks like Coach on steroids. But when you have money to burn and care so much about what others think of you, hell, what's 1000 bucks spent on basically nothing?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Looks like Coach on steroids. But when you have money to burn and care so much about what others think of you, hell, what's 1000 bucks spent on basically nothing?
    But is anyone going to even know you have a $1,000 doohickey? I doubt it will feel or look much different than a decent $20 keyholder (though I've never seen a keyholder - I just use my pocket). And if you are that rich, don't you pay someone else to hold onto your keys?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 579 Posts

The author, Peter DeLorenzo, hasn't gotten the memo yet. You can't use the word "Masterclass." I propose Highway Robber Class.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC The Handler's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for them! It's not like they're gouging on mediocre products (Detroit has been doing that for years). Most brands would kill to be in Porsche's position.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Handler For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-07-2020),Neanderthal (07-07-2020),richmond2000 (07-08-2020),sdotjeezy (07-07-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    But is anyone going to even know you have a $1,000 doohickey? I doubt it will feel or look much different than a decent $20 keyholder (though I've never seen a keyholder - I just use my pocket). And if you are that rich, don't you pay someone else to hold onto your keys?
    I know very little about the Coach crowd, but my wife is familiar with it. Them. It's mediocre stuff, but it sells for VERY high prices. High at least to us mortals, higher than I'd pay for some crap Chinese crap. But in those circles apparently it's just too like kewl,ya know!? I'm assuming it's the same with this whateverinhellitis POC.

Quote Originally Posted by The Handler View Post
    Good for them! It's not like they're gouging on mediocre products (Detroit has been doing that for years). Most brands would kill to be in Porsche's position.
    Yeah. Build it and...

I don't see a lot of "$4000 off this week only! 0% for 84 month Porsche mortgage, come now!" ads for der Porsche.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

The Handler (07-07-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,035 Times in 2,604 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    If you want a Porsche, you pay for a Porsche.

I don't think it's "fleecing" when the sheep willingly go to slaughter. And while a fool and his money are soon parted, I'd guess most Porsche customers know exactly what they're doing.

Maybe nothing else to write about this week. Very sad.
    Was thinking the same thing.... VW is clearly gouging, but no one is forcing people to buy one, so can you blame Porsche?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Handler View Post
    I'd agree with you all. When it comes to things like this most buyers know exactly what they're doing and are willing to do it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-07-2020),richmond2000 (07-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,916 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Most people had never heard of Hermes before this:
    https://janefinds.com/blogs/janes-gu...-cultural-icon

It's similar to the vast majority of people not knowing what Patek Philippe is.
    At least there's some justification for Patek's pricing... there's a lot going on in much of their stuff.
    Hermes is still just some leather sewn together.

Then there was this Hermes Edition Veyron.
    https://jalopnik.com/bugatti-veyron-...lion-bu-363992
    Yours for only an extra $1.3 million more than the regular Veyron that was sold to the unwashed masses.

As you can see, Porsche have barely scratched the surface of what's possible.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (07-08-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,382 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

remember there is Audi AND VW "below" and Lamborghini + Bentley "above" so the "gouging" is "tuned" to the product pricing stack

Thanks
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 1,465 Posts

I wouldn't call what Porcsche did a "masterclass in greed" it was more like "a masterclass in survival"...without the Cayenne and Maycan, Porsche wouldn't have ever been able to survive off the 911 and Cayman/Boxter alone
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information