Autoextremist: Ford goes long. And wrong again

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Autoextremist: Ford goes long. And wrong again

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 945 Posts

Autoextremist: Ford goes long. And wrong again

PDL isn't happy a lot about Jim Farley being new Ford CEO on AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com

Detroit. As I predicted a long time ago, Jim Farley will replace Jim Hackett as Ford’s CEO, effective October 1. This move was a fait accompli the moment Joe Hinrichs left the company in February. Thus, another transition begins for Ford, a company that has been on a roller-coaster ride since the day Alan Mulally left.

Hackett was the little-known furniture company executive and FoB (Friend of Bill Ford) who was handed the reins of the company in the wake of Mark Fields’ departure. Fields had succeeded Mulally, but it all went wrong for him in due time, so Bill tapped Hackett to run his family’s company. Now, if Bill had his druthers, Mulally would be just now getting ready to retire; he wanted the ex-Boeing executive to remain CEO basically for life. And although this was a view that was shared by many, alas it wasn’t to be. So, Bill alighted on the notion that Hackett could be "The Guy." And for some fleeting moments, Jim showed flashes that he could be "The Guy" but only intermittently. Hackett’s esoteric pronouncements (I dubbed him “Professor Moon Beam”) and his vision of the future – defined by connected cities et al. – and Ford’s role in it were all deemed well and good, but meanwhile the machine that defines Ford wasn’t being served. Hackett, by all accounts a decent, smart and well-meaning guy, just didn’t have the depth and breadth of experience to make a real difference at Ford. And his role at Ford predictably amounted to yet another transition, one that lasted three years.

So, now what? The one thing Ford desperately needs more than anything else right now is a chief executive who understands this business inside and out and can guide Ford through perilous waters. And Bill Ford has decided that Jim Farley is "The Guy." Needless to say, longtime readers of this website know that I vehemently disagree with Ford’s decision.

Farley, the former Toyota wunderkind who was responsible for the launch of the Scion brand, has developed quite the notorious reputation at Ford as one who is unfettered by rational thought and unburdened by accountability, and who has a penchant for going completely off the rails. Known for his prodigiously short attention span and burdened by an excruciatingly painful interpersonal awkwardness, Farley’s belligerent, condescending style of dealing with underlings, along with his classic “parachute in, helicopter out” M.O. that has defined bad actor executives for decades in this business became his calling card.

It gets worse. Farley has long considered himself to be “the smartest guy in the room” at Ford, much to everyone’s endless chagrin, because the reality is that he isn’t. It’s a carefully crafted facade that is hollow to its core. This was confirmed by the fact that Farley became known as "The Two Jims" because interactions with him became a meandering crapshoot, hinging upon whether people encountered the "good" Jim or the "bad" Jim on that particular day. Needless to say, when the "bad" Jim was unleashed, Farley left a trail of bad feelings and highly questionable decisions in his wake.

Now that Bill Ford has decided that Jim Farley is “The Guy,” it’s no secret that seasoned executives are cowering under their desks because an emboldened Farley, unfettered and untethered, has all the makings of an unmitigated disaster. Am I picking on Farley? Hardly. I have only scratched the surface in describing this ego maniacal character, and now that he has been given the CEO reins, he could wreak havoc on the company’s future for years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-05-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,068 Times in 2,625 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Autoextremist: Ford goes long. And wrong again

With this move, Ford gives PDL enough fodder to last for quite a while.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-05-2020),richmond2000 (08-05-2020),Stéphane Dumas (08-04-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,138 Times in 2,644 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    You can tell he’s seething that Farley got the top job,
    hell hath no fury like an ad man scorned.........

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Has Peter ever prognosticated anything positive? Asking for a friend.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DreadNaughty For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (08-05-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 788 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Ford and GM both need someone from the Trenches/Front Line, not someone who Knows the Top End Politics of the Auto Industry.

They both need to get Intouch with the End User, not Wall Street. Appease the End User, and Wall Street will follow. The Numbers will prove it. Mullaly knew little of the Auto Industry, which was 1/2 the way there. Now a Customer Focused Person that Know Business Success and BINGO.
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 08-04-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,953 Times in 4,844 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by DreadNaughty View Post
    Has Peter ever prognosticated anything positive? Asking for a friend.
    Occasionally he say's something complimentary, though it's entirely possible they were typo's.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,953 Times in 4,844 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I wonder how accurate PDL's assessment is of Farley. I've seen many examples of executives that think they walk on water, so I find this believable. But, this is PDL's view and as I recall PDL had a bad run in or two with him. For Ford's sake, I hope he is wrong. Nothing worse than an executive that you have to work around due to his "sh_t don't stink" attituce, especially when it's the CEO and almost impossible to work around him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 501 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

In case it's not common knowledge, Pete has a LONG festering grudge against Farley after he canceled Pete's consulting contract at Ford back in 2018. That drives EVERYTHING in his being today and it's just pathetic.
    Last edited by BORG; 08-05-2020 at 01:37 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-05-2020),Neanderthal (08-05-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    In case it's not common knowledge, Pete has a LONG festering grudge against Farley after he canceled Pete's consulting contract at Ford back in 2018. That drives EVERYTHING in his being today and it's just pathetic.
    That canna' be! PDL is a professional journalist, able to set aside his biases and grudges in his search for Objective Trooth.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,138 Times in 2,644 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    It’s fun to read his articles and see the tone change when he starts talking about Ford and Farley.......
    His words remind me of,
    No, I’m not biased, I’d hate him regardless of who he works for........

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (08-05-2020)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information