Autoextremist: Ford gets a participation award for the Mach-E. Now what?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autoextremist: Ford gets a participation award for the Mach-E. Now what?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 859 Posts

Autoextremist: Ford gets a participation award for the Mach-E. Now what?

Here PDL AE rant of the week www.autoextremist.com
    FORD GETS A PARTICIPATION AWARD FOR THE MACH-E. NOW WHAT?
    DateMONDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2019 AT 11:08AM
    By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. The big hyped show had the now-obligatory orchestrated Tesla-esque presentation, including the cheering minions and the be-there-or-be-square manufactured “event” quality. And, of course, the sniveling members of the press, who ran the gamut from rabid bootlicking enablers – It’s revolutionary! It’s the greatest thing since sliced bread! (you get the idea) – to a few who had the temerity to actually offer some reasoned perspective. (In other words, it’s a giant “we’ll see” until further notice.)

It even had a Hollywood celebrity on hand – actor Idris Elba – to kick off the show, claiming his fealty to Ford was long-lasting and real, which completely fell flat when the actor and Bill Ford participated in a painfully stilted and forced interview/conversation on stage.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E is yet another new electric crossover (about the size of the Escape) with all of the currently accepted ingredients present and accounted for: rear- or all-wheel-drive; available in both standard-range (75.7 kWh lithium-ion battery) and extended-range (98.8 kWh battery), which has a “targeted” EPA-estimated range of at least 300 miles in rear-wheel-drive configuration (the batteries feature 288 lithium-ion cells in the standard-range version and 376 lithium-ion cells in the extended-range); the battery is located on the floor between the vehicle’s two axles and secured inside a waterproof battery case surrounded by crash-absorption protection; the batteries are liquid-cooled to optimize performance in extreme weather and to improve charging times; the Mach-E is targeting 332 horsepower and 417 lb.-ft. of torque, with other versions getting more (see pics and more info in “On The Table” -WG).

The Mach-E also features a Tesla-esque interior, featuring a do-everything center stack that is supposed to represent Ford’s advanced “connected” vehicle configuration going forward. (They made the mistake – Mistake No. 1 – of calling it the “next-generation” SYNC. Ford’s signature system has been a glaringly weak link ever since they launched it despite overhauls, fixes and improvements. So why not ditch that compromised – at best – name for this alleged “revolutionary” new Ford?)

So, that about covers the basic ingredients, but it's only the beginning of my thoughts on Ford’s Tesla fighter.

First of all, what about the fact that it’s called Mustang Mach-E? Longtime readers of this website know I have advocated that GM leverage the Corvette image and brand name for an expanded lineup of vehicles for years, in order to go toe-to-toe against Porsche in the market, with the ultimate goal of creating an all-new performance division for GM. I still feel that way. So, why does it feel different for Ford?

I have written about the Mustang being “the soul” of the Ford Motor Company for a decade, with the F-150 being “the franchise.” Make no mistake, the F-150 has been directly responsible for the Ford Motor Company’s profitability for so long now that to imagine the Ford Motor Company without it would be to imagine that the company went out of business. But the Mustang is the remaining link to Ford’s “glory days” of the 60s, when Ford’s “Total Performance” racing/marketing onslaught transformed the company image. (Yes, of course, the Ford GT does that, too, but on a much more limited scale; for most people, the Mustang is Ford’s approachable mainstream sporty car entry.)

But to call this frumpy looking crossover – squint and it looks like 20 other crossovers in the market – a “Mustang” is so egregiously wrong that it makes me cringe. Let me make this clear: I learned to drive a stick-shift in a 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350. We raced an ex-Bud Moore Mustang Boss 302 in the ’71 Trans-Am season with my brother Tony at the wheel. In short, I know Mustangs, and the Mach-E is no damn Mustang. In fact, it’s a crushing disappointment and an insult to the legacy of the Mustang, especially when you have the blistering fast and perfectly brutal looking new Shelby GT500 Mustang just hitting the streets.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

The Handler (11-19-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 Times in 2,310 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Easy seeing who didn’t get an invite......

I guess all the people who have already signed up didn’t bother waiting for PDL’s permission.

Besides, Mach E is not replacing the Mustang coupe and people can tell the difference without glasses.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-19-2019),CJH (11-19-2019),Extreme4x4 (11-19-2019),igor (11-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: Autoextremist: Ford gets a participation award for the Mach-E. Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

I guess all the people who have already signed up didn’t bother waiting for PDL’s permission.

Besides, Mach E is not replacing the Mustang coupe and people can tell the difference without glasses.
    Agreed, also, I think he should drive one before saying it isn't worthy of the Mustang name. I think people get to wrapped up in # of cylinders, turbo vs. non, a certain look and lose sight of "is it fun". The whole purpose of the Mustang is to have fun driving. Of course an electric is going to feel totally different, but is it fun?

Somewhere along the line I totally missed that this isn't for sale until Spring 2021. I was thinking "how did Ford leapfrog GM, GM who is widely viewed as being an electric leader?". Now I see Ford really didn't leapfrog GM, 2021 is a long time from now....

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,767 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Agreed, also, I think he should drive one before saying it isn't worthy of the Mustang name.
    Heck, there have been Mustangs that weren't worthy of the Mustang name.

Of course an electric is going to feel totally different, but is it fun?
    You know what would be fun?
    Having this guy in a Mustang GT (or pretty much any Mustang short of a GT500) pull up next to your Mach-E GT AWD.

And then smokin' him. That would be fun.
    Maybe that's why Mustang Guy is getting all worked up. He's got nothin' for this Mommymobile and he knows it.
    Who's worthy now, bro?
    Last edited by eaton53; 11-19-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Heck, there have been Mustangs that we're worthy of the Mustang name.
    funny you say that, I was thinking about the Pinto based Mustang as I read PDL's rant.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 1,767 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

funny you say that, I was thinking about the Pinto based Mustang as I read PDL's rant.
    Don't even have to go there.
    The beloved Fox body (which was also a Fairmont) had a 88 hp 4-cylinder version in 1980.
    Mustang Guy's memory is very selective so he ain't gonna remember that...
    Last edited by eaton53; 11-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-19-2019),Extreme4x4 (11-19-2019),Mr.Buttons (11-20-2019),richmond2000 (11-20-2019)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 885 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post

He's pretty off base on this one. Ford needs to move forward and this is a good start.

I had very low expectations, but surprisingly like it. I think it will do better than people think. Way more expressive sheet metal than the egg shaped Teslas.

Somewhere along the line I totally missed that this isn't for sale until Spring 2021. I was thinking "how did Ford leapfrog GM, GM who is widely viewed as being an electric leader?". Now I see Ford really didn't leapfrog GM, 2021 is a long time from now....
    I mean, 18 months? That's really not that long in the automotive business. If it was 2023 or something I would agree with you, but I think 18 months is very reasonable. I just hope this is the production version and not butchered like the Continental was.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

jpd80 (11-19-2019),Mr.Buttons (11-20-2019),richmond2000 (11-20-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    He's pretty off base on this one. Ford needs to move forward and this is a good start.

I had very low expectations, but surprisingly like it. I think it will do better than people think. Way more expressive sheet metal than the egg shaped Teslas.

I mean, 18 months? That's really not that long in the automotive business. If it was 2023 or something I would agree with you, but I think 18 months is very reasonable. I just hope this is the production version and not butchered like the Continental was.
    Pretty sure these are production vehicles...nobody puts out varying trims of a Concept car.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

CJH (11-19-2019)

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 885 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Pretty sure these are production vehicles...nobody puts out varying trims of a Concept car.
    That's what I guessed, but a little gun shy after the Conti'.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    That's what I guessed, but a little gun shy after the Conti'.
    The Conti tranlation to production wasn't bad....its just that it had an unfortunate drivetrain layout. Most of the major elements from the concept made it over....the pullhandles, wheel design, and blue interior ported over pretty well. If it were RWD/AWD, we wouldn't have been having this conversation.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Agreed, also, I think he should drive one before saying it isn't worthy of the Mustang name. I think people get to wrapped up in # of cylinders, turbo vs. non, a certain look and lose sight of "is it fun". The whole purpose of the Mustang is to have fun driving. Of course an electric is going to feel totally different, but is it fun?

It goes on sale late next year but the GT with the bigger front motor than the regular AWD versions arrives in Spring 2021. This is a very Tesla is wind up and pitch for deposits way in front of delivery.... Maybe that gives Ford time to read customer feed back and see how strong the buyer reaction is to the intended product.

Peter D is stuck in the past, it's nice to stroll down memory lane but please don't try to convince us that the late 60s was the apex of design technology without ever sampling what's being offered today.

I can imagine Ford Performace going to work on Mustang Mach E and fitting more powerful motors, stronger drive train and wider tires. We're approaching the days when modders switch out batteries and motors to get 1,000-1.500 HP BEVs cruising the street looking for unsuspecting ICE sports cars and old guys just can't handle that thought. They "see" an SUV and think that it drives and handles like an ICE SUV - big mistake.
    Last edited by jpd80; 11-19-2019 at 02:40 PM.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-19-2019),Mr.Buttons (11-20-2019),richmond2000 (11-20-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,980 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Poor PDL, this must've really chapped his hide somehow. I guess maybe the mach E should have been a useless two door instead.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Poor PDL, this must've really chapped his hide somehow. I guess maybe the mach E should have been a useless[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] two door instead.
    Farley took the Ford advertising contract off his company, never forgave him.
    That’s why Pete has his cranky pants on, he needs to get over himself, be a big boy and move in.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    The Conti tranlation to production wasn't bad....its just that it had an unfortunate drivetrain layout. Most of the major elements from the concept made it over....the pullhandles, wheel design, and blue interior ported over pretty well. If it were RWD/AWD, we wouldn't have been having this conversation.
    The Conti lost 100% of it's sexy on the way to production as what we got is as vanilla as any Toyota ever made.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Heck, there have been Mustangs that weren't worthy of the Mustang name.
    I agree, but don't accept that as an excuse. I have no problem with Ford expanding the definition of what a Mustang is. But if you're going to do so it better look spectacular! A Mustang, almost by definition, comes with some limitations in the name of style, the Mach E shorted the style in favor of practicality. A Pony car is defined by style first and foremost, then some combination of performance, practicality, and affordability.

I like the Mach E, I just don't love it based upon the pictures we've seen. I hope it's better in person because I just don't it comes close at all to the looks of the actual Mustang.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information