Autoextremist Brand Image Meter VIII

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Autoextremist Brand Image Meter VIII

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 819 Posts

Autoextremist Brand Image Meter VIII

Here PDL AE Rant of the week www.autoextremist.com
    THE AUTOEXTREMIST BRAND IMAGE METER VIII: THE THROW ME A FRICKIN’ BONE EDITION.
    DateMONDAY, JUNE 3, 2019 AT 09:20AM
    By Peter M. DeLorenzo

Detroit. Yes, it’s that time of year again, when Brand Wranglers throughout the Autoverse quake in their bespoke marketing boots dreading our annual Brand Image Meter ratings. I imagine that it’s like waiting for a root canal appointment: You know it’s coming but there’s not a damn thing you can do about it. As for the weasels and wankers who are riding a perpetually weak brand hand – you know who you are – it must be a particularly Bad Day. Ah well, who said life in the auto biz was going to be all bunny rabbits and rainbows, right?

But before we get started, I have been inundated by requests for my take on the potential FCA-Renault merger. As I said last week in “On the Table,” does FCA need a merger? Absolutely. It can’t subsist on Jeeps, Ram trucks and hot rods alone. Don’t think so? Jeep sales are already softening because of FCA’s relentless greed. The Jeep option list – which is an homage to Porsche marketers, the OGs of Greed – creatively gouges customers in the interest of considerable short-term profits, but long-term that pricing strategy will hurt the company. In fact, it already has. And sure, Ram trucks are hot and the muscle-flexing hot rods and police cars keep getting churned out, but beyond that, what?

While FCA has been basking in profits, the company is nowhere with advanced technology. As in, they got nothin’. So, in order to survive, some sort of merger or sellout was always in the offing. Let’s not forget the fact that Sergio was consumed with bamboozling another car company into making a deal with him. GM wouldn’t bite, and VW would only consider it on its terms, which didn’t interest the G.O.A.T. at all. But suffice to say, Sergio knew that FCA couldn’t survive long term in its present state.

But Renault? What sort of fresh Hell is this? Add the perpetual losers at Nissan and throw Mitsubishi into the mix, and you have a bouillabaisse of Not Good. I have read all of the gleeful hand-wringing about this deal, and I must say that most of it starts from the conceit that this deal is a done deal. Why that take is even out there, given the players involved, is beyond me. There are so many variables going into this deal that any shred of optimism should be tabled as soon as possible.

Yes, of course Nissan is crowing “What, us worry?” about the deal, seeing no problem whatsoever, but then again, what do you expect that company to say? After all, it is literally and figuratively on the ropes and completely out of ideas, so a merger sounds just wonderful to them. (Although everyone seems to be saying that Nissan has the technological component that will make the deal strong. Really? We’ll see about that.) And, Mitsubishi? It will go along for the ride too. But Renault has myriad problems that seem to be unending, and any cost slashing promised with this deal remains dubious.

So, the idea that this merger will be a walk in the park is naïve at best, especially given the players involved. There are just too many egos, too many loose ends and too many flies in the ointment to say the least. As I said last week, this is a giant “we’ll see” and let’s leave it at that.

Back to the subject at hand. There’s a reason our Brand Image Meter issue is one of our most-anticipated and widely read columns of the year. Brand image wrangling is the mystery science that brings out the best – and worst – in auto executives, with some being naturally savvy stewards of their brands, while others stumble around lost in the desert, achieving only fleeting success. The rest? Well, to say they well and truly suck at it is being kind.

If we were a certain kind of publication, our Brand Image awards would come complete with glittery trophies and massive publicity campaigns attached, and we would be Ka-Chinging a happy tune as auto companies advertised their success to the world, with the Autoextremist brand logo prominently displayed in those ads. But we’re not slimy purveyors of vacuous marketing streams, thank goodness. We are, however, confident in the knowledge that the AE Brand Image Meter column is in the top three in unique visitors and page views each and every year that we have presented it, garnishing loads of buzz and in some cases, voluminous and pitiful “woe is me” and "we're screwed" hand-wringing in executive suites throughout the industry. And beginning our 21st year of publication, that’s not about to change.

As I said when we first introduced our Brand Image Meter seven years ago, when it comes to the power of brands and the inescapable importance of brand image: “It’s the one thing that car companies – both good and bad – cannot escape. How a brand is perceived can make or break a car company, regardless of how long and illustrious a run that brand has enjoyed up until any given point in time, because one false move or one discordant note can be crippling in a matter of months.”

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-05-2019),JBsZ06 (06-06-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,834 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Autoextremist Brand Image Meter VIII

Wow. Good one. It seems as far as GM goes in all of this, Peter sounds like he's one of "us" here at GMI.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-05-2019),XP300 (06-06-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,012 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

French government screwed the pooch and FCA took away the offer....

FCA would b better to merge with a plethora of small car companies

Screw the french government...

The chinese will scoop up FCA when the time comes...

Jeep and Ram being the prize....maybe alfa and maserati too...

The dealer network in the USA will be a factor in the chinese desire for fca.

Fca dealer network will come in handy for the chinese as they invade europe.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,112 Times in 3,872 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I don't know if he's ever actually driven one of the "discount" Hyundai and KIA cars--I have--but he sounds like an armchair general in his dismissal of excellent, mainstream vehicles.

Wake up Rip Van DeLorenzo, it's not 2008 it's 2019.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,834 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I don't know if he's ever actually driven one of the "discount" Hyundai and KIA cars--I have--but he sounds like an armchair general in his dismissal of excellent, mainstream vehicles.

Wake up Rip Van DeLorenzo, it's not 2008 it's 2019.
    https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...ia-soul-review This ones for you, bud. And they're still cool little cars IMO.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,112 Times in 3,872 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    https://www.autoguide.com/manufactur...ia-soul-review This ones for you, bud. And they're still cool little cars IMO.
    Thaxx, fitty-eight! Hamsters Forever!

Interesting write-up in a sort of car magazine person sort of way. It's clear when these elite writers spend all their time in powerful cars, they really don't grok how to drive a low-powered car. Just having a heavy right foot and gassing it IMO isn't really driving. I was behind a Mercedes E400 convertible today in medium surface street traffic. Some guy--probably ancient, like 60!--with a custom license plate like KIMMY 1. I thought that was very speshul. But it was obvious he wasn't spending a lot of time watching traffic. He'd sometimes use his signal, sometimes he'd just gas it and squirt over into the next lane.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-07-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,193 Posts

PDL has been predicting doom for BMW for years. Too many models, lowering the prestige. Just another car.

Yes, BMW is ubiquitous. There's one in every other driveway here in Hilton Head. But people don't see it as the "Chevy of German luxury brands."

They keep selling more and more models to more and more people in an every-increasing range of income. But they just seem to keep selling. I don't think it bothers any of the hundreds of thousands of buyers that most of their neighbors also have a BMW.

They expanded from luxury to pretty much a mass market brand. And they done it without tanking their reputation. I was never a huge fan of BMW styling and really find it bland now, but whoever runs that brand knows exactly what they're doing.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 993 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    PDL has been predicting doom for BMW for years. Too many models, lowering the prestige. Just another car.

Yes, BMW is ubiquitous. There's one in every other driveway here in Hilton Head. But people don't see it as the "Chevy of German luxury brands."

They keep selling more and more models to more and more people in an every-increasing range of income. But they just seem to keep selling. I don't think it bothers any of the hundreds of thousands of buyers that most of their neighbors also have a BMW.

They expanded from luxury to pretty much a mass market brand. And they done it without tanking their reputation. I was never a huge fan of BMW styling and really find it bland now, but whoever runs that brand knows exactly what they're doing.
    BMW Group automobile sales in the U.S. market have been flat or declining since 2015 (it registered a slight YoY increase in 2018). Sales in China, by contrast, increased 38% in that timeframe.

The managers at the mother ship, BMW AG, are competent. But the marketing dweebs at BMW of NA (the U.S. subsidiary) rely too much on luck to accomplish anything worthwhile.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

With V-Series versions of both (See “On the Table” -WG). The streamlining of the Cadillac model lineup is logical and a very good thing, with the CT4, CT5 and CT6 on the sedan side of the equation, and the XT4, XT5 and XT6 on the SUV side, along with the Escalade (the next-generation of which is rumored to be a showstopper). The fact that Cadillac is still offering sedans is refreshing, as not everyone out there is craving an SUV, and I believe Cadillac can make hay with that fact.

Classic.. now who was it in one of the countless VSERIES threads that said PDL was gonna have a field day with the VSeries streamline.. LMFAO
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 819 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    BMW Group automobile sales in the U.S. market have been flat or declining since 2015 (it registered a slight YoY increase in 2018). Sales in China, by contrast, increased 38% in that timeframe.

The managers at the mother ship, BMW AG, are competent. But the marketing dweebs at BMW of NA (the U.S. subsidiary) rely too much on luck to accomplish anything worthwhile.
    A slow decline, less perceptible more or less similar to Packard when they introduced the 120.
    https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-his...rd-one-twenty/

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information