600 ft lbs. of torque club (Chevy 3500 vs Ram 3500)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 600 ft lbs. of torque club (Chevy 3500 vs Ram 3500)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

600 ft lbs. of torque club (Chevy 3500 vs Ram 3500)

The Chevrolet Silverado 3500 & Dodge Ram 3500 belong to a very exclusive truck club, the 600 ft lbs. of torque club! Both of these are very capable trucks, and no I'm not comparing the interior! Lets look at what these trucks really shine at, towing massive amounts of trailer, boat, w/e.

Which one would you pick?

Chevrolet Silverado (6.6 V8 Duramax Diesel, 300 HP & 605 ft lbs. of torque) *Max payload 5,155 lbs.**Max towing 16,400 lbs.*

Dodge Ram 3500 (5.9 Inline-6 Cummins Diesel, 310? HP & 610 ft lbs. of torque) *Max payload 4,620 lbs.**Max towing 16,300 lbs.*

Looks like the Chevrolet wins just by a little, but the Dodge is no slouch when it comes to towing a big load.

Before everyone asks, I did not include the Ford 3500 because it doesn't belong in the 600 ft lbs. of torque club, which is very exclusive.

Which one would you pick, the Chevy or the Dodge?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    I take the Dodge because it looks better to me and I like the I6 just a tad better. Of course, it would help if you posted where in the RPMs their torque was made, as you can have all the torque in the world, but it won't do you any good without RPMs.

Thanks
    I'd take the chevy. The chevy looks meaner. I recently test drove a a silver silverado and it was awesome. The ride was suprisingly well for a 3500. The leather was pretty nice and the Bose system was sounded really good. The power was surprising it had alot of punch. Chevy, Chevy, Chevy, Chevy Duramax

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks
    Duramax - 310hp @ 3000rpm; 605lb-ft torque @ 1600rpm (numbers with auto trans)
    Cummins - 325hp @ 2900rpm; 610lb-ft torque @ 1600rpm

Pretty dead even. My preference is with the Chev.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Seeing how I work at a Chevy dealer, and grown up with Chevys I'd buy the Silverado. For me the wheels wouldn't be an issue, because this is a truck for work and hauling not showing, that's my two cents.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks
    To me, the newer style of Dodge pickups reminds me of a big fat pig, mainly because of the front end. I'll take a Silverado.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    I'd definitely prefer the Chevy overall, but one issue really clinches it. I would much prefer an automatic in a truck like this and Dodge has yet to prove that it can build an automatic that will stand up to the Cummins.

And even if the Mopar automatic can hold up in the long run, it's still a distant runner up compared to the huge Allison automatic that Chevy uses in terms of performance.

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MelvinJ
    I'd definitely prefer the Chevy overall, but one issue really clinches it. I would much prefer an automatic in a truck like this and Dodge has yet to prove that it can build an automatic that will stand up to the Cummins.

And even if the Mopar automatic can hold up in the long run, it's still a distant runner up compared to the huge Allison automatic that Chevy uses in terms of performance.
    Chevy too has yet to build a automatic to hold up to this hence the use of the Allison. A smart choice by GM because this is the lightest transmission Allison builds, they can use their tech from much larger transmissions.

But why do they have to limit the torque output of the Duramax in 1st and 2nd gear? The Torqueshift does not have to do this.

I would go with a GMC and the Duramax, Cummins have not been as problem free as they once were. Before electronic fuel injection and 24 valves.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by doh
    Chevy too has yet to build a automatic to hold up to this hence the use of the Allison. A smart choice by GM because this is the lightest transmission Allison builds, they can use their tech from much larger transmissions.

But why do they have to limit the torque output of the Duramax in 1st and 2nd gear? The Torqueshift does not have to do this.

I would go with a GMC and the Duramax, Cummins have not been as problem free as they once were. Before electronic fuel injection and 24 valves.
    Well, Chevy doesn't build any transmissions. The two divisions of GM that do are Hydra-matic and Allison. It was wise of GM to choose their medium-heavy duty truck transmission builder to make the Duramax's trans. Chrysler doesn't own a truck transmission maker, so they don't have the expertise in house. I imagine they will have to get a bigger/better transmission behind the Cummins at some point though.

I'm not sure if the torque limiting is because of the transmission limits or limits on some other part of the drivetrain. These diesel engines in all three trucks are so powerful today that it's hard to imagine pulling a load with a pickup that would need more power and torque.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information