2019 Muscle Cars overlaps crash test Video - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Muscle Cars overlaps crash test Video

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,627 Times in 3,216 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: 2019 Muscle Cars overlaps crash test Video

Quote Originally Posted by fastrehotrods View Post
    Why, because I own 67, 71, 77, and 82 Camaros? I mean I just HATE CAMAROS SO MUCH!!!!!

And the correct answer to your sarcasm is that I don't put much into any of these crash tests. They're just another group that keeps moving the line in the sand to justify their existence. All the automakers get their cars to being compliant, then they change things up and make them scramble again for some other new scenario. Cars are all safer than they've ever been, one shift in the standard isn't going to get me into a panic. Look around, people are still in beater 93 Hondas, and other tiny cars that would in no way pass these standards as well, does that mean they should all plan to die in the event of an accident? I'm not worried, nor should anyone really. Everyone loves a sensationalist news story.
    Who said they were all going to die?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 fastrehotrods's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 776 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Who said they were all going to die?
    Since this new scenario they threw at the oldest of these 3 cars is a reason for you to deem the Challenger as not worth anyone buying, anyone driving a car 10, 15, 25 years old just has a deathwish, right? Guess I'd better not drive, and scrap every one of my cars then....

So on your same guidelines, nobody should buy the 2019 GM trucks since they are a BRAND NEW vehicle getting marginal ratings on current tests, am I right? They should spend less money and get a safer truck from Ford or Ram?
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

09W (05-07-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-10-2019),ryannel2003 (05-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Found it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/21/...er-crash-test/

Actually this is the same crash scenario, the small overlap. Ford, Ram, and Titan all received "Good" ratings.

Two steps below at "Marginal" is all GM trucks, including the brand new 2019 Silverado and Sierras. Can I get you on record in saying that nobody should buy a new GM truck then? Or to use your words, "avoid" new GM trucks?
    Last edited by fastrehotrods; 05-07-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    The Stable: 2014 Ram Sport 4x4 with 18" Method Racing MR310's wrapped in 35's, 71 Firebird Formula 455 Ridetech equipped, 57 Ford Custom 300, 66 GTO 4 speed, 67 Camaro LT1/T56, 70 El Camino, 71 Camaro future LSX, 82 Z28, 63 Thunderbird, 75 Pontiac Astre GT 406, 65 Dart 318, 87 S10 Blazer, 88 Silverado, 58 Edsel Pacer, 64 Volvo 544. Past: 98 Trans Am 6 speed-432 rwhp, 71 Chevelle SS 454, 71 Camaro 350/4 speed, 66 Mustang 393/T5, 86 GMC Jimmy

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-07-2019),Let Them Fail (05-08-2019),ryannel2003 (05-07-2019),sdotjeezy (05-07-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,476 Times in 4,045 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Lol, I guess the fear-mongering did its job. They keep moving the line in the sand and changing the standards... by this measurement, wouldn't about 95% of the cars out there be a death trap? How many brand new fully compliant cars do you think are actually on the road? Guess I need to scrap every car in my signature then, they're ALL super death traps, especially my really old ones.

Yep, all this is. I wonder who is behind all this, these safety agencies trying to justify their existence by moving the line every few years, or the automakers trying to scare people into always buying the new cars? Lean towards the first one though.

I do drive what I want. I know it's a risk every time I drive my 58 Edsel with no seatbelts (yet), steel dash, full airy hardtop, and no safety built into the design at all. But I still enjoy driving it, and I do my best to practice safe driving practices, situational awareness, even swapping to 4 wheel discs and making it a better handling car. At least my Edsel doesn't have the impaler steering shaft with the solid shaft going from the steering box to the horn button like my 57 Ford... that's absolutely going to scrap to substitute a collapsing column.
    March of Dimes comes to mind. A brief history:

March of Dimes is a United States nonprofit organization that works to improve the health of mothers and babies. According to its website, "We believe that every baby deserves the best possible start. Unfortunately, not all babies get one. We are changing that."[1]

The organization was founded by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1938, as the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, to combat polio. The name "March of Dimes" was coined by Eddie Cantor. After funding Jonas Salk's polio vaccine, the organization expanded its focus to the prevention of birth defects and infant mortality. In 2005, as preterm birth emerged as the leading cause of death for children worldwide,[2] research and prevention of premature birth became the organization's primary focus.[3

Change of mission

March of Dimes polio poster (1957)
    Following widespread use of the polio vaccine, the organization was faced with disbanding or steering its resources toward a new mission. Basil O'Connor, then the organization's president, directed his staff to identify strengths and weaknesses and reformulate its mission.[5] The National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis (NFIP) shortened its name to the National Foundation (NF) in 1958 and launched its "Expanded Program" against birth defects, arthritis, and virus diseases, seeking to become a "flexible force" in the field of public health. In the mid-1960s, the organization focused its efforts on prevention of birth defects and infant mortality, which became its mission.[18][19] At that time, the cause of birth defects was unknown; only the effects were visible. In 1976, the organization changed its name to the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation.[5] Reducing the toll of premature birth was added as a mission objective in 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_...nge_of_mission

When the front small-overlap test first emerged, my first thought was, well, the makers have pretty much beat most of the tests so it's time to spring a surprise. It keeps the IIHS and various other bureaucracies living and breathing, and most importantly, bringing in money and employing you and your friends and giving some people a platform where they can signal virtue.

More accurate ratings on our window stickers would be the real world crash results. Injuries and deaths per 10,000 wrecks, stats could be broken down into a few categories and they would mean far more than lab tests.

Because nobody goes to a crash test laboratory to have a real-world crash. And a pretty significant percent of wrecks have impaired drivers at the wheel, often with--GUESS!!--no seat belt use.

So like fasrehotrods, I read the data but that has absolutely no effect on what I buy.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

fastrehotrods (05-08-2019),supermoto (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Since this new scenario they threw at the oldest of these 3 cars is a reason for you to deem the Challenger as not worth anyone buying, anyone driving a car 10, 15, 25 years old just has a deathwish, right? Guess I'd better not drive, and scrap every one of my cars then....

So on your same guidelines, nobody should buy the 2019 GM trucks since they are a BRAND NEW vehicle getting marginal ratings on current tests, am I right? They should spend less money and get a safer truck from Ford or Ram?
    I am just tired of this sort of confrontational negativity. You won. Challenger is the best , with the safest cabin, no one dies in it .IIHS are just wasting people’s time
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-07-2019 at 11:22 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    19 F150 Screw 3.5 EB

Found it.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/21/...er-crash-test/

Actually this is the same crash scenario, the small overlap. Ford, Ram, and Titan all received "Good" ratings.

Two steps below at "Marginal" is all GM trucks, including the brand new 2019 Silverado and Sierras. Can I get you on record in saying that nobody should buy a new GM truck then? Or to use your words, "avoid" new GM trucks?
    What was dubious about the results is the Ridgeline having potential leg/foot injury same as the GMs, yet it manages a top safety pick. The Ford scored better than the Ridgeline in all tests but didn't have as good of a headlight so the Ridgeline that breaks the passengers leg is better. Move the seat back 2 inches in the GM and it still has more rear legroom than a Ridgeline and changes the outcome of the testing.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,310 Times in 664 Posts

I am just tired of this sort of confrontational negativity. You won. Challenger is the best , with the safest cabin, no one dies in it .IIHS are just wasting people’s time
    So...are you going to acknowledge by using the same criteria that the Silverado is rubbish and should be avoided?

Like I said, I don't buy a car solely based on how well it crashes...truth be told, I couldn't tell you how well my Buick or Versa or Dodge does or doesn't do in crash testing, didn't even bother asking either time.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

fastrehotrods (05-08-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-10-2019),ryannel2003 (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Lol, tired of this negativity. Just call me the checks and balances of this forum. It's okay to be negative and say nobody should buy a 10 year old Challenger based off a new test standard, but a brand new GM truck that doesn't meet these standards get a pass?

If you'd actually pay attention to what I say, I said I don't care about these marginal gains in IIHS crash tests. Yes, they do a good thing, but like any government agency, they have to constantly move the goalpost to show how important they are. That said, ALL VEHICLES are safer than ever, just as they're as efficient as ever, just as they're as powerful as ever, etc. You cannot go wrong with anything out there, so I'm not going to refuse any vehicle over one IIHS test. And no, I don't care about the Silverado rating either, I forgot about it actually and had to look it up. Just figured in the name of being fair and balanced, it was as good a time as ever to mention it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fastrehotrods For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (05-10-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    So...are you going to acknowledge by using the same criteria that the Silverado is rubbish and should be avoided?

Like I said, I don't buy a car solely based on how well it crashes...truth be told, I couldn't tell you how well my Buick or Versa or Dodge does or doesn't do in crash testing, didn't even bother asking either time.
    Of course, if Silverado did not perform as well as Ram or Ford, that is a point to consinder when making a purchase decision about their product.. Its points against them.
    Lol, tired of this negativity. Just call me the checks and balances of this forum. It's okay to be negative and say nobody should buy a 10 year old Challenger based off a new test standard, but a brand new GM truck that doesn't meet these standards get a pass?

If you'd actually pay attention to what I say, I said I don't care about these marginal gains in IIHS crash tests. Yes, they do a good thing, but like any government agency, they have to constantly move the goalpost to show how important they are. That said, ALL VEHICLES are safer than ever, just as they're as efficient as ever, just as they're as powerful as ever, etc. You cannot go wrong with anything out there, so I'm not going to refuse any vehicle over one IIHS test. And no, I don't care about the Silverado rating either, I forgot about it actually and had to look it up. Just figured in the name of being fair and balanced, it was as good a time as ever to mention it.

I thought the video showed pony cars, I did not see any GM trucks getting a pass

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

I thought the video showed pony cars, I did not see any GM trucks getting a pass
    It was a pony (or muscle) car video, it's just with clearly biased comments like someone should not buy a car because of just one test, I just want to sure your judging is fair and balanced and I felt it was worthy of asking if you felt the same way on GM failing so poorly. So I can go back into the Silverado/Sierra "marginal" rating thread and find a post saying people should avoid buying GM trucks based off the crash test along? Just making sure you're being truly fair.

Thanks
    My Ride

It was a pony (or muscle) car video, it's just with clearly biased comments like someone should not buy a car because of just one test, I just want to sure your judging is fair and balanced and I felt it was worthy of asking if you felt the same way on GM failing so poorly. So I can go back into the Silverado/Sierra "marginal" rating thread and find a post saying people should avoid buying GM trucks based off the crash test along? Just making sure you're being truly fair.

Which score are you using for Silverado 2019 IIHS? If it was 'marginal' I believe IIHS would have it on their site, but you of course have inside information. Granted, a marginal score would count against Chevrolet or GMC.

Or you are just making anti GM stuff up to appear objective?
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Which score are you using for Silverado 2019 IIHS? If it was 'marginal' I believe IIHS would have it on their site, but you of course have inside information. Granted, a marginal score would count against Chevrolet or GMC.

Or you are just making anti GM stuff up to appear objective?
    Why are you looking up extended cab, which appears to be untested, when the link I posted before was on the commonly sold Crew Cab? Why would I be making stuff up, the LINK I POSTED EXPLAINED IT!!!

You're soooooo close though. See that drop down box where it says "Silverado 1500 EXTENDED CAB PICKUP"? Change that to: "Silverado 1500 CREW CAB PICKUP".

There's my "inside information".

Thanks
    My Ride

Why are you looking up extended cab, which appears to be untested, when the link I posted before was on the commonly sold Crew Cab? Why would I be making stuff up, the LINK I POSTED EXPLAINED IT!!!

You're soooooo close though. See that drop down box where it says "Silverado 1500 EXTENDED CAB PICKUP"? Change that to: "Silverado 1500 CREW CAB PICKUP".

There's my "inside information".
    Small overlap front Passenger-side is marginal for the crewcab, that is a factor to consider vis a vis other manufacturers.. and it should count against GM twins in this case.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Ram Sport 4X4

Small overlap front Passenger-side is marginal for the crewcab, that is a factor to consider vis a vis other manufacturers.. and it should count against GM twins in this case.
    I guess I'll take it, and probably all I'll get. Duly noted. While a 10 year old Challenger should be avoided at all costs because of a marginal rating on this test, "it should be considered" on the new Silverado/Sierra. Got it.

Thanks
    My Ride

I guess I'll take it, and probably all I'll get. Duly noted. While a 10 year old Challenger should be avoided at all costs because of a marginal rating on this test, "it should be considered" on the new Silverado/Sierra. Got it.
    The 'old Mercedes' frame just doesn’t perform well, neither does the Mustang get good ratings.. however , acceptable, seems like Chevrolet needs to improve its roof strength, all in all, avoid the Challenger, pay a little more for the Chevrolet or Ford.
    Who said a Challenger should be avoided at all costs? or people are going to die? Man, you have an attitude problem.. you make 'shtufff' up in your head and assign it to people
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-08-2019 at 04:17 PM.

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information