2002 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS and Trans Am | Retro Review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2002 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS and Trans Am | Retro Review

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,097 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

2002 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS and Trans Am | Retro Review

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 732 Posts

Re: 2002 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro SS and Trans Am | Retro Review

I had a chance to get a pristine 2002 35th TA back in 2005, I balked at the asking price, and ended up getting a new Nissan Maxima instead....dumbest freaking car decision I made in my entire life.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Juche (10-18-2019)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,302 Posts

I had a '98 Trans Am convertible, first year of the final Firebird refresh. Fun, powerful car. 305 HP sounds like nothing today, but that car could fly. It was fast even by today's standards. I think C&D had the top speed tested at 162 mph, with 0-6 in 5.0 seconds. Pontiac actually included a print of this review when you requested a brochure.

I didn't have the Ram Air version. To me, the few extra horsepower wasn't worth those hideous nostrils that came with the special hood for that version.

I actually wish I had gotten the hardtop or t-top. The convertible was great in warm weather, hell to drive with the top up. Massive blind spots with the top up, to the point where at certain angle when merging on to a highway, you had to stick you head out the window because even the mirrors didn't help. The nearly blind lane changes took a lot of fun out of the car. I only kept it for 3.5 years.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I had a '98 Trans Am convertible, first year of the final Firebird refresh. Fun, powerful car. 305 HP sounds like nothing today, but that car could fly. It was fast even by today's standards. I think C&D had the top speed tested at 162 mph, with 0-6 in 5.0 seconds. Pontiac actually included a print of this review when you requested a brochure.

I didn't have the Ram Air version. To me, the few extra horsepower wasn't worth those hideous nostrils that came with the special hood for that version.

I actually wish I had gotten the hardtop or t-top. The convertible was great in warm weather, hell to drive with the top up. Massive blind spots with the top up, to the point where at certain angle when merging on to a highway, you had to stick you head out the window because even the mirrors didn't help. The nearly blind lane changes took a lot of fun out of the car. I only kept it for 3.5 years.
    You're buggin....I absolutley loved the double nostrils, the commercial where it ate the "Lamborghini" at the stoplight was one of my favorite car commercials ever, 2nd only to the "Nissan pigeons" ad. Keep in mind I was only 17 when the 98s came out but to this day, I keep a soft spot for the WS6.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

They were rated at 305 but were really making 350-360, in 34-3500lbs (considered portly back then) it's a pretty good power/weight ratio.

I bought my '01 new and by then it was hard not to find a WS6 car - pretty sure WS6 production totals were actually higher that year than T/A and Formula totals. Mine was the only one of about 8 on the lot that wasn't a WS6 or Firehawk, and I didn't want to pay the $3K+ premium for basically a hood and wheels (the ram air cars essentially dyno'd the same as the regular LS1s). Ended up with an NHRA Edition, which was pretty rare (1 of 143 in '01).

As impressive as a low 13 stock 1/4 was 18 years ago, moreso might've been the 28mpg one could pull down on the highway.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    You're buggin....I absolutley loved the double nostrils, the commercial where it ate the "Lamborghini" at the stoplight was one of my favorite car commercials ever, 2nd only to the "Nissan pigeons" ad. Keep in mind I was only 17 when the 98s came out but to this day, I keep a soft spot for the WS6.
    I thought that hood was just a mess. But I was 34 when I got mine. Maybe If I was 17, I'd have thought that was cool. To me, it ruined the look of the car.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Thanks

I thought that hood was just a mess. But I was 34 when I got mine. Maybe If I was 17, I'd have thought that was cool. To me, it ruined the look of the car.
    Hell I'm 38 now and I still think its cool, but you know what they say..."different strokes for different folks"
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

Thanks

Sad part about this is the lack of love for the Catfish Camaro SS
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

rockyspaw (10-18-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

I've always been a bit more conservative when it comes to stuff like this. I liked the standard hood. Even with that, it was still a rather expressive car.

I thought the '98 refresh really hurt the Camaro. 1993-97 was one of the few times that I actually preferred the Camaro to the Firebird. I didn't think the Firebird front end clip was quite right in those years, and I liked the small, recessed headlights on the Camaro.

Thanks

I thought the '98 refresh really hurt the Camaro. 1993-97 was one of the few times that I actually preferred the Camaro to the Firebird. I didn't think the Firebird front end clip was quite right in those years, and I liked the small, recessed headlights on the Camaro.
    100% agree, the 93-97 Firebird nose was too pointy IMO and the added ram air hood looked awkward
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information