GM Inside News Forum banner

WTF? GMC HUMMER EV will rock with electric guitar sounds

7K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  BlackGTP 
#1 ·
WTF? GMC HUMMER EV will rock with electric guitar sounds
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/wtf-gmc-hummer-ev-electric-guitar-sounds
January 13, 2021
By Gary Gastelu

GMC revealed during a CES presentation that is working with Bose to create a soundtrack for its upcoming HUMMER EV, which offers a Watts to Freedom, or WTF, mode that unlocks its full 1,000 horsepower and the ability to accelerate to 60 mph in a supercar-quick three seconds.

HUMMER EV lead development engineer Aaron Pfau said the Bose Electric Vehicle Sound Enhancement technology mixes guitar riffs, high-frequency feedback and sounds inspired by the Formula E electric racing series to create an "immersive sensory experience" when you slam on the gas...uh, accelerator pedal.

More at link

#8 ·
WTF.... days of thunder racing sound track. I remember listening to it on my sons surround sound in his bedroom. Years ago. Sounded like his room was going in circles at the track. So cool.

Reactions: BlackGTP
#11 ·
Bose? How long until people here start complaining that Bose just isn't delivering crisp highs on the recorded guitar sounds?

Sounds kind of gimmicky, but the whole "super truck" thing could be called that. So why not, bring it on!

#22 ·
When I told this to my 9 year old son, he volunteered to play the soundtrack on the electric guitar. Before the pandemic he started playing in bars in a band that does AC / DC covers.

Yes, at 7 my son played hard rock in bars with a band. He is looking for excuses to play even more and to compose new pieces and he says he is ready to record for free.

#31 ·
I find the vehicle really cool. However even if I win the next lottery jackpot I would not buy one. I'm willing to bet that more than half of the truck's future owners won't even use a third of its off-road capability.

The typical buyer will be over 50, wealthy, and happy to have such a truck to go to their cottage on the weekends. Note that in 1998 this buyer was able to reach his chalet with his Chevrolet Cavalier but that now he is proud to be able to count on monstrous tires to cover the last km of gravel road.

#32 ·
While I do agree that most buyers won't use most of the Hummer's capability, I won't fault them for it. From my perspective is that any different than someone who buys a Corvette or an S Class and never takes them much over 80 mph? Or most enormous pickup trucks that are used little more than commuters and to maybe take their garbage to the dump once a week? I think it is just part of what luxury is - excess capability.

I have a CT4-V, I've had it up to 110 mph, a fraction of it's 164 top speed. I most likely will never go faster than 110, and may not even go that fast ever again. Though, on the fun side it is amazing how quickly it can hit 100, even when I'm not planning on going that fast :D

#34 ·
Great idea. Airhead drivers aren't distracted enough, with 50% of them considering driving a secondary activity next to fiddling with their Satanic Devices. How in hell could anything go wrong with this?

#43 ·
Since I started working from home due to Covid (since March 2020) I walk at least 3 miles a day. What I find really appalling is the state of disrepair so many houses are in, yet many have fancy cars in their driveway. One house in particular sticks out in my head, about 4,000 sq ft, probably early 90's build. The entire house looks beat - needs paint/power washing, landscaping is shot, driveway is crumbling, moss growing on the roof (heavy enough that I am certain they are getting water in the house). Not a dime wasted on the house but they have two late model Mercedes in the driveway. I'd be embarrassed if that was my house. Not much of an image you are projecting with your fancy car and your house looks bad.

But, on the same token, part of me envy's people like that. I spend a ton of time keeping my house and yard looking good and money keeping my house properly maintained while they are relaxing. I get the new roof and furnace, they put in a new kitchen. I buy fertilizer for the lawn, they throw a party. They are probably taking nice vacations while I'm squirrelling money away into my 401k. I know I'm doing the right thing, but sometimes I wish I had a little more of that "don't worry about tomorrow" attitude. Though I guess I shouldn't complain, I do have a nice car and all sorts of "fun" yard equipment toys. Plus, I'm not going to catch Covid while in the woods chain sawing fallen trees and splitting them for firewood :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.