Revamped GM Trucks to Have Only Six Gears

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamped GM Trucks to Have Only Six Gears

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Revamped GM Trucks to Have Only Six Gears

New Silverado, Sierra to have carryover transmissions.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    July 5, 2012
    By: Nick Saporito

Spy shots of General Motors' upcoming redesigned full-size trucks may be commonplace at this point, but details of what resides underneath the camouflage has been scarce. The unusual deficit of information is slowly starting to come to end, starting with information regarding GM's transmission selection for the trucks. Despite competitors, such as Ram, upgrading to new eight-speed automatic transmissions for their half-ton pickups, GM will be launching their new trucks with six-speeds all around - but eight's will eventually come.

Currently the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra have four-speed automatic transmissions standard with the V-6 and base V-8. After a controversial launch with only four-speed automatics back when the trucks launched in 2007, GM eventually upgraded most of the volume trims to their in-house six-speed automatic. Meanwhile, the competition at Ford and Dodge have moved entirely to six-speed automatics, with Ram migrating to eight-speeds in higher end models for 2013.

According to multiple sources, the launch of GM's 2014 full-size trucks will mirror the launch of the 2007's, at least in terms of transmissions. Both the 2014 Silverado and Sierra will launch exclusively with six-speed automatic transmissions; the same units that are in today's models. The move is a step up from the current mix of four and six speeds, but will likely fall short of some expectations assuming GM would use the new truck and SUV line to launch their eight-speed automatics.

Just like the current trucks received their six-speeds a few years after the initial launch, the all-new trucks will receive eight-speeds later. The current plan calls for the trucks to receive a mid-cycle enhancement a couple years after their 2013 calendar year launch. As part of the tweaking, the trucks are currently slated to be upgraded with two more gears. GMI expects the eight-speeds to be developed internally as part of GM's Hydra-Matic automatic transmission lineup.

So, why the delay? Simply put, GM's eight-speed automatics will not be ready when the trucks launch next year. Many sources have cited GM's 2009 bankruptcy as the main source of delay for the eight-speeds, an excuse that has propagated it's way to several GM programs.

Once GM's Hydra-Matic eight-speed transmissions are ready, expect them to proliferate the GM stable much like the six-speeds did: starting with the biggest applications and working down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Revamped GM Trucks to Have Only Six Gears

Thanks for the Info, but GOD isn't it time for GM to catch on to 8-Speed Tranny's, I mean by the time the do there will be 12 Speed tranny's...
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Personally, with the current development of the shifting algorithms on the current 6spds, and the feeling that you get from the results of the shifts, I'd be glad to stay with the 6's. The smoothness is just not there yet.
    Know what I mean? Upshift, downshift, upshift, downshift. Drives me nuts sometimes......
    35 yr. UAW/GM/Delphi retiree Worked in 4 different assembly plants and a Delphi battery plant
    2016 Buick Encore
    1968 Camaro Coupe 327 250HP Turbo 350 (Restoring)
    21 yr. Retired Volunteer Firefighter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,215 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz

This kinda sucks to start off behind... I did not realize that they still sold trucks with 4 speeds... sad as well.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I am not surprised at all. It takes a lot of time today to develop these new transmissions. You will notice that Chrysler went offshore to find the 8-speed transmission for the Ram.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wonder if the 8spd might make an appearance in the Yukon Denali and Escalade at launch tho...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    Thanks for the Info, but GOD isn't it time for GM to catch on to 8-Speed Tranny's, I mean by the time the do there will be 12 Speed tranny's...
    Ha. Add one more gear to that 12-speed transmisson you are talking about, put it behind the Cummins diesel engine in the 2500 and 3500, and you will have the drivetrain that most over-the-road truck-tractors run today.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Silverado Midnight Z71

The year is 2032.... "GM trucks suck, they only have 33 speed transmissions and a mere 950 horsepower. Gosh, these days you gotta have 50 gears and at least a thousand horsepower."
    [/SIGPIC]

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 CamaroCrazy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Twin Turbo Caddy

Quote Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
    Personally, with the current development of the shifting algorithms on the current 6spds, and the feeling that you get from the results of the shifts, I'd be glad to stay with the 6's. The smoothness is just not there yet.
    Know what I mean? Upshift, downshift, upshift, downshift. Drives me nuts sometimes......
    I hear you. That's the biggest thing I noticed in the new BMW 328i with the eight speed auto - it was constantly shifting and it was noticeable and to a point, annoying.

Keeping the 6 speeds for a few more years isn't the end of the world. There should be efficiencies coming from the new Gen V small block that will increase fuel economy over the current models.
    Current Cars:
    2016 GMC Acadia Denali
    2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Past Cars:
    1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1984 Chevrolet Impala, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro, 2007 Ford Explorer, 2007 BMW 335i

De gustibus non est disputandum

Thanks

nsap,

Are the Tahoe/Suburban expected to get the 8sp at launch or will they be 6sp equipped?
    2014 Silverado 4x4 LTZ

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olds88 View Post
    nsap,

Are the Tahoe/Suburban expected to get the 8sp at launch or will they be 6sp equipped?
    Same as trucks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Same as trucks.
    Nick, do you have a tentative launch schedule for the next gen trucks?

Will it be Silverado/Sierra first, with a couple month separation for the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade?

I apologize if this info is listed elsewhere... Other info I've seen regarding scheduling is rather old. I was just wondering if there has been updated dates...

Thanks...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    There is no truck selling in any volume with an 8 speed. I don't think this is a big deal at all. Now if GM pushes it out 4 years it will become a big deal. But right now this really isn't news.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    There is no truck selling in any volume with an 8 speed. I don't think this is a big deal at all. Now if GM pushes it out 4 years it will become a big deal. But right now this really isn't news.
    Well a 2014 truck with expected MCE in 2-3 years or 2016-2017 model year is 4-5 years on my calender.....
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    I guarantee you Ford has taken notice of the Ram models with 8-spd. Especially when the 8-spd V-6 challenges the Ecoboost 3.5 6-spd on fuel economy. They will probably go to 8-spd between MY14 & 15.

But GM is better off delaying rather than fielding an 8-spd with design defects/shortcomings.
    Last edited by EcoBustier69; 07-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information