Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 129

Thread: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

  1. #1
    News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8,526
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,219 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

    Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Automotive News
    October 22, 2020



    GMC plans to use no-haggle pricing on the Hummer electric pickup when it goes on sale late next year.

    The price customers see on GMC’s website will be the price they pay, Duncan Aldred, vice president of global Buick and GMC, said Wednesday.

    “There will be no incentives. There will be no trickery,” Aldred said on a call with investors. “We are trying to construct a dealer margin in such a fashion that it really is a no-haggle price.”

    About half of GMC’s dealers have elected to sell the Hummer so far. The “Edition 1” model is due in fall 2021 and will sell for $112,595. Dealers won’t be able to discount it or mark it up, Aldred said.

    GMC will “deliver a one-price experience for the customer from the brand, from the website, right through to the dealer level,” he said.








    .

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8,526
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,219 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    “There will be no incentives. There will be no trickery,” Aldred said on a call with investors.
    Now there is a statement that may come back to bite them in the... They will really have to match production with demand. Will this vehicle be built to order only?

    Imagine - You can now purchase a new GM product with a sales tax figure that would just about cover a base Chevrolet Spark!

    Congratulations to GM on a great introduction. Let's hope the product matches the hype!









    .

  4. #3
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,104
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 121 Times in 84 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Now there is a statement that may come back to bite them in the... They will really have to match production with demand. Will this vehicle be built to order only?

    Imagine - You can now purchase a new GM product with a sales tax figure that would just about cover a base Chevrolet Spark!

    Congratulations to GM on a great introduction. Let's hope the product matches the hype!









    .
    They'll do it Tesla's way, adjust MSRP instead of rebates manipulations.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Member17739 For This Useful Post:

    dannyg (10-22-2020),Perian (10-22-2020),richmond2000 (10-23-2020)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,616
    Thanks
    689
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 846 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by Member17739 View Post
    They'll do it Tesla's way, adjust MSRP instead of rebates manipulations.
    But it is Not a Tesla.

    Within a Year, there will Cash on the Hood. Maybe a Cash Waterfall Grille, no wait that is Jeep.

    $113K isn't your normal GMC, but it is still a GM. Over Priced out of the Gate, Discounted heavily soon after, scrapped soon after that. H2, SSR, H3, ELR, CT6 V, G8, GTO, SS, Volt, Maybe Camaro, do I need to continue?

  8. #5
    09W
    09W is offline
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 09W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    838
    Thanks
    307
    Thanked 571 Times in 314 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    ^ Is Tesla still 'Tesla' tho?

  9. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,999
    Thanks
    2,254
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 2,759 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    A 2009 H2 had a MSRP of $61,000ish. Adjusted for inflation that's right at $74,000 in 2020 dollars.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  10. #7
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,648
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,625 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    GM needs to figure out a way to do sales like Tesla does...without the middleman dealership. That is part of the draw as well with buying a Tesla, no janky finance managers trying to tack on extra fees for pinstriping, paint protection, overpriced warranties, underbody treatments and so on.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    Extreme4x4 (10-27-2020),Greg Burr (10-22-2020),Murrow (10-22-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (10-23-2020),richmond2000 (10-23-2020)

  12. #8
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,847
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 786 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    GM needs to figure out a way to do sales like Tesla does...without the middleman dealership. That is part of the draw as well with buying a Tesla, no janky finance managers trying to tack on extra fees for pinstriping, paint protection, overpriced warranties, underbody treatments and so on.
    GM did try to do that a couple decades ago. Dealers sued....courts got involved....courts sided with the dealers.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainDan For This Useful Post:

    eklauss (10-23-2020),richmond2000 (10-23-2020),sdotjeezy (10-22-2020)

  14. #9
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
    Posts
    4,243
    Thanks
    829
    Thanked 963 Times in 525 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    But it is Not a Tesla.

    Within a Year, there will Cash on the Hood. Maybe a Cash Waterfall Grille, no wait that is Jeep.

    $113K isn't your normal GMC, but it is still a GM. Over Priced out of the Gate, Discounted heavily soon after, scrapped soon after that. H2, SSR, H3, ELR, CT6 V, G8, GTO, SS, Volt, Maybe Camaro, do I need to continue?
    Methinks you have a poor memory with some of your examples: H2 and H3 died with the Hummer brand at the behest of the government during the BK. Prior to the Great Recession they were selling pretty well. G8 was another car that was a casualty of the death of its brand. GTO was simply a good car with the wrong name, made worse by the fact that coupe market was really shrinking at the time. You'll get no argument from me on the rest of the cars, with the exception of Camaro, as it was a sales hit with little money on the hood until the ill-sized/styled 6th gen hit the streets, and even that's not a price issue.
    1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vanshmack For This Useful Post:

    eklauss (10-23-2020),Greg Burr (10-22-2020),Mr.Buttons (10-22-2020),Syclone478 (10-22-2020)

  16. #10
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,648
    Thanks
    1,166
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,625 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    GM did try to do that a couple decades ago. Dealers sued....courts got involved....courts sided with the dealers.
    That sucks...didn't know about that, the dealership experience is what sucks most about car ownership, its probably one of the reasons why more and more people are reluctant to buy nowadays.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (10-22-2020),richmond2000 (10-23-2020)

  18. #11
    emh
    emh is offline
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 emh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,794
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 724 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    GM did try to do that a couple decades ago. Dealers sued....courts got involved....courts sided with the dealers.
    Right, and since then, GM has been fighting hard to block direct sales by supporting various state-level legislative pushes. Probably a knee-jerk reaction to tesla's success but it's a position that can come back to haunt them (e.g., I believe Michigan recently banned direct sales by anyone other than Tesla).
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (10-23-2020)

  20. #12
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    2,616
    Thanks
    689
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 846 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    Methinks you have a poor memory with some of your examples: H2 and H3 died with the Hummer brand at the behest of the government during the BK. Prior to the Great Recession they were selling pretty well. G8 was another car that was a casualty of the death of its brand. GTO was simply a good car with the wrong name, made worse by the fact that coupe market was really shrinking at the time. You'll get no argument from me on the rest of the cars, with the exception of Camaro, as it was a sales hit with little money on the hood until the ill-sized/styled 6th gen hit the streets, and even that's not a price issue.
    All of them started out Over Priced and Under Loved. The "Must have the Newest" market is only so big, then reality's sets in.

  21. #13
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    78°14′46″N 15°27′56″E
    Posts
    4,243
    Thanks
    829
    Thanked 963 Times in 525 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    All of them started out Over Priced and Under Loved. The "Must have the Newest" market is only so big, then reality's sets in.
    We'll just agree to disagree here.
    1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to vanshmack For This Useful Post:

    eklauss (10-23-2020)

  23. #14
    News Contributor BlackGTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    16,186
    Thanks
    8,091
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Didn't GM successfully do no haggle pricing with Saturn? Wasn't that part of the charm of Saturn?

  24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (10-22-2020),eklauss (10-23-2020),emh (10-22-2020),Greg Burr (10-22-2020),mbukukanyau (10-26-2020)

  25. #15
    emh
    emh is offline
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 emh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,794
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 1,375 Times in 724 Posts

    Re: Red Hot New Hummer: List Price Only; NO Dealer Markups; No Incentives

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Didn't GM successfully do no haggle pricing with Saturn? Wasn't that part of the charm of Saturn?
    Indeed. Saturn was unique among GM brands for having a loyal customer base in the "difficult" markets for GM, like the coasts, and the dealership experience was a huge part of that.

    That said, Saturn had dedicated dealerships. Whether GMC dealers can effectively wear both hats (no-haggle for Hummer and haggle for the rest) remains to be seen. So far, selling EVs alongside gas vehicles has not worked well. I mean, if I'm a dealership, would I want to sell the car that needs no maintenance or the one that will pay me every few months for oil changes, brake pads, etc.? IMO, this is a big reason why Polestar is going to have a dedicated sales channels separate from Volvo dealers, and I think that's the right approach in the near term. GM is trying to have their cake and eat it too, which I think is challenging but, combined dealerships for both types is what they have to make work in the long run. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emh For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (10-22-2020),BlackGTP (10-22-2020),Greg Burr (10-22-2020)

  27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2