Hummer EV to be sold at only about half of GMC dealerships

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummer EV to be sold at only about half of GMC dealerships

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Cost, location and customer experience are cited as reasons
    BEN HSU
    Oct 26th 2020
    autoblog.com

The new 1,000-horsepower Hummer EV will be sold under the GMC brand, but you won't find it in every GMC showroom. Currently, just about half of GMC's dealers have agreed to take on the electric truck, Buick GMC VP Duncan Aldred told investors on a conference call last week.

According to Muscle Cars and Trucks, there are a number of reasons for the irregular availability. For one, there's the cost of upgrading dealerships to sell and service a fully electric vehicle. Stores would need to be upgraded with charging stations, and service centers would require new tools and training to work on an EV.

Then there's the customer experience. At $112,595, the initial Hummer EV Edition 1 caters to a different clientele than the traditional GMC truck. The planned EV3X trim level that arrives in late 2022 and EV2X arriving in spring 2023 will start at just below $100,000 and $90,000, respectively. Some sellers believe that customers paying six figures for a vehicle will expect certain niceties that will necessitate showroom upgrades as well. Complimentary doughnuts, at least.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (10-27-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    14 A/T 6.2 BEAST MODE

Re: Hummer EV to be sold at only about half of GMC dealerships

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Cost, location and customer experience are cited as reasons
    BEN HSU
    Oct 26th 2020
    autoblog.com

The new 1,000-horsepower Hummer EV will be sold under the GMC brand, but you won't find it in every GMC showroom. Currently, just about half of GMC's dealers have agreed to take on the electric truck, Buick GMC VP Duncan Aldred told investors on a conference call last week.

According to Muscle Cars and Trucks, there are a number of reasons for the irregular availability. For one, there's the cost of upgrading dealerships to sell and service a fully electric vehicle. Stores would need to be upgraded with charging stations, and service centers would require new tools and training to work on an EV.

Then there's the customer experience. At $112,595, the initial Hummer EV Edition 1 caters to a different clientele than the traditional GMC truck. The planned EV3X trim level that arrives in late 2022 and EV2X arriving in spring 2023 will start at just below $100,000 and $90,000, respectively. Some sellers believe that customers paying six figures for a vehicle will expect certain niceties that will necessitate showroom upgrades as well. Complimentary doughnuts, at least.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    So many gm dealers are just run down in my area of western mass, it is a good point though that spending 6 figures for a vehicle should also come with a nice new clean dealership with all the modern necessities to get service from. I simply don't have any around here, all the gm dealership are well over 20 years old and nothing to write home about. Lexus, all the german makes all have nice newer facilities in my area, gm has simply gone with the it's good enough approach for the last couple decades here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdog For This Useful Post:

CJH (10-27-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Makes sense, if I had a GMC dealership I'd sign up to sell the Hummer if there were BMW, Audi, Mercedes and Land Rover dealers in my market. If they aren't there then I doubt that market can support the Hummer.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-28-2020),CJH (10-27-2020),TruckMan (10-27-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,060 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

GMC/Buick has as similar problem as Cadillad, too many mediocre dealerships. A loaded Yukon Denali hits $80k nowadays & there are expectations with that. This new Hummer only raises those expectations. And yes, I do consider the condition of the Dealership where I choose to have my vehicles serviced.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJH For This Useful Post:

JimmyDiablo (10-28-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    GMC/Buick has as similar problem as Cadillad, too many mediocre dealerships. A loaded Yukon Denali hits $80k nowadays & there are expectations with that. This new Hummer only raises those expectations. And yes, I do consider the condition of the Dealership where I choose to have my vehicles serviced.
    My local dealership is fantastic, newly remodeled even though they had just remodeled to be the flagship Saturn dealership right before they shut down Saturn. But I didn't buy my CT4 there, the dealership I bought from is the highest volume GM dealer in the state, I was floored by the number of people buying cars. Decent looking dealership, I think because of the volume it dirties things up fast - could have used a paint job. But that aside, when they asked for feedback my comment was that they need to make a special area for Cadillac buyers. My salesperson was trained to be a Cadillac saleswoman and did a nice job, but the desk we completed the transaction at was cramped and I was in a "cubicle sea". It didn't feel like a luxury experience. Though overall it was a positive experience.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (10-27-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 846 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Image 2000 (The Tower and Drive Thru Service Write Up Stall), Revamp 2010, (dull down the Tower, New GM, New Look) now Image 2022 (Rugged but Environmentally Sound) Hummer Look. A lot of Revamps for the Same old GM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I imagine 1/2 of the GMC dealers are also in markets that will NOT buy OR even receive the Hummer so paying to upgrade just the HUMMER is quite pointless
    dealers out in the country / small town are NOT likely to sell many EV anything compared to MORE urban area dealers

15. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

InCogKneeToe (10-28-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    I imagine 1/2 of the GMC dealers are also in markets that will NOT buy OR even receive the Hummer so paying to upgrade just the HUMMER is quite pointless
    dealers out in the country / small town are NOT likely to sell many EV anything compared to MORE urban area dealers
    I'd be interested to know if these are really Hummer specific upgrades or upgrades to be able to service any GM electric vehicle. I can see rural GMC dealerships opting out of Hummer. But if these are general BEV updates they don't necessarily need to do them right now, but they might need to in a few years anyway. Were I one of those dealers I'd wait an see vs. doing it now, but have in my mind that sometime within something like 5 years I'll have to take the plunge.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 846 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

It's about selling Gucci Tennis Shoes, out of a J.C. Pennies, no matter what you do to the Store Front, it is still J.C. Pennies clientele that go there to shop. The rest of the Store is full of J.C. Pennies Products.

(I didn't say Wal Mart)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    It's about selling Gucci Tennis Shoes, out of a J.C. Pennies, no matter what you do to the Store Front, it is still J.C. Pennies clientele that go there to shop. The rest of the Store is full of J.C. Pennies Products.

(I didn't say Wal Mart)
    People shopping for the Hummer EV aren't impulse buying while looking at a Buick Encore. They're shopping for the Hummer. The JC Penny analogy is a totally different animal.
    19 Camaro RS Vert
    18 CTS
    76 MGB

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-29-2020),TruckMan (10-28-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

(I didn't say Wal Mart)
    I think it would be ok if dealers have a section where high end car transactions take place. Corvette, Cadillac, Hummer, Denali, certain Camaro models, etc should be handled in that separate section. Easier said than done as a lot of dealers don't have additional space. I don't think a GM dealership, selling many low end vehicles, on its own is a deal breaker, but they need to do something to make the experience special for the high end.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Silverado Midnight Z71

Makes sense with rolling out such a leap in product technology.
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 VOLT, Viridian Joule

Make all EVs sold at standalone Dealerships. Get out from under the out moded franchise agreements.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,372 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

(I didn't say Wal Mart)
    Kind of like selling a $500k Ford GT next to a $30k Ford Escape?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-29-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC gm4life08's Avatar
    Thanks

No surprise. If you are spending 100 plus grand you expect a certain level at a dealer, all dealers will not be able to float that. Still a pretty big difference between an 80K 3/4 ton Denali and 80K Yukon XL Denali and a 112K Hummer EV.
    My GM Fleet...

GMC: 2021 Canyon Denali 4WD 3.6L (cowboy Cadillac)
    2019 Acadia SLT Black Edition AWD 3.6L (commuter)
    2018 Yukon SLE 4WD 5.3L (family vacation machine)
    Pontiac: 2005 Bonneville SLE 3.8L (commuter/baby)

Proud American. Proud GMC & Pontiac Owner.

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information