GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

  1. #1
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,836
    Thanks
    405
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

    GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening
    But it won't look anything like the original Granite concept.
    BY MARTIN BIGG
    AUGUST 6, 2020
    carbuzz.com

    For years, rumors have been rife that GMC is plotting a new subcompact crossover to slot below the GMC Terrian and capitalize on the segment's popularity. Last year, GMC denied these rumors as the brand wants to focus on trucks and off-road-focused AT4 trims.

    One year later, it looks like GMC is having a change of heart. Citing insiders at General Motors, GM Authority claims that GMC's small crossover could finally be happening as the project is "closer than ever to being green-lit" for production. If the project does get the greenlight, GMC's new subcompact crossover will be smaller and cheaper than the GMC Terrain, which starts at $25,000.

    As for the name, the new GMC subcompact is expected to be called either the Granite or Graphyte based on trademark filings GM has submitted recently. The subcompact will reportedly ride on the same VSS-F platform as the Trailblazer and Encore GX, as well as the next-generation Equinox and Terrain. Despite sharing the same platform, GM Authority's sources claim the new GMC subcompact crossover will be "highly differentiated" compared to the Trailblazer and Encore GX.

    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    35,293
    Thanks
    9,770
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Late to the party. Call it graniqu?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

    "The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

    Hidden Content

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    DequindreToo (08-07-2020),kmacleod (08-07-2020),Mr.Buttons (08-07-2020)

  5. #3
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 84 Times in 39 Posts

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Not needed, but if they do it, make it a Jeep Renegade competitor and not just a Chevy clone.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to PastorChevyGuy For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (08-07-2020)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  8. #4
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,331
    Thanks
    1,019
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by PastorChevyGuy View Post
    Not needed, but if they do it, make it a Jeep Renegade competitor and not just a Chevy clone.
    Yeah...not going to happen...you're about to see what a professional grade Trailblazer looks like
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (08-07-2020),4gm (08-06-2020),bballr4567 (08-07-2020),Ed753 (08-08-2020),Mr.Buttons (08-07-2020)

  10. #5
    4gm
    4gm is offline
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    361
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 207 Times in 105 Posts

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Yeah...not going to happen...you're about to see what a professional grade Trailblazer looks like
    I think a production version of the Granite concept car from years ago would offer something different in an increasingly overcrowded segment and be successful. But what you say is more likely to happen.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4gm For This Useful Post:

    DequindreToo (08-07-2020)

  12. #6
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid mgescuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    43,526
    Thanks
    3,963
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 2,122 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening
    But it won't look anything like the original Granite concept.
    BY MARTIN BIGG
    AUGUST 6, 2020
    carbuzz.com

    For years, rumors have been rife that GMC is plotting a new subcompact crossover to slot below the GMC Terrian and capitalize on the segment's popularity. Last year, GMC denied these rumors as the brand wants to focus on trucks and off-road-focused AT4 trims.

    One year later, it looks like GMC is having a change of heart. Citing insiders at General Motors, GM Authority claims that GMC's small crossover could finally be happening as the project is "closer than ever to being green-lit" for production. If the project does get the greenlight, GMC's new subcompact crossover will be smaller and cheaper than the GMC Terrain, which starts at $25,000.

    As for the name, the new GMC subcompact is expected to be called either the Granite or Graphyte based on trademark filings GM has submitted recently. The subcompact will reportedly ride on the same VSS-F platform as the Trailblazer and Encore GX, as well as the next-generation Equinox and Terrain. Despite sharing the same platform, GM Authority's sources claim the new GMC subcompact crossover will be "highly differentiated" compared to the Trailblazer and Encore GX.

    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Does it matter anymore??
    It's so incredibly late!
    GMC previewed the Granite back in 2010. 10 years. 10 friggin years.

    Meanwhile... CX3, Kona, Venue, Juke, Renegade...

    Come on...

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mgescuro For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (08-07-2020),bballr4567 (08-07-2020),DequindreToo (08-07-2020),Ed753 (08-08-2020),kmacleod (08-07-2020)

  14. #7
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    A sunny cave in Transylvania
    Posts
    35,293
    Thanks
    9,770
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Does it matter anymore??
    It's so incredibly late!
    GMC previewed the Granite back in 2010. 10 years. 10 friggin years.

    Meanwhile... CX3, Kona, Venue, Juke, Renegade...

    Come on...
    We just don't like to rush into things. Like Caddy UTEs, be careful, be very careful.

    My first thought was the Soul came out in 2010. So 2023, that seems pretty on-task. Maybe they could sub-let Melody to market their Granitq.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

    "The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

    Hidden Content

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (08-07-2020)

  16. #8
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    17,893
    Thanks
    2,228
    Thanked 4,837 Times in 2,718 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Does it matter anymore??
    It's so incredibly late!
    GMC previewed the Granite back in 2010. 10 years. 10 friggin years.

    Meanwhile... CX3, Kona, Venue, Juke, Renegade...

    Come on...
    It's insane at how slow GM moves with this. Could have had TWO generations of Granite out with the Terrain and dominating the small cute CUV arena.
    Hidden Content

    Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

    mgescuro (08-07-2020)

  18. #9
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,331
    Thanks
    1,019
    Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It's insane at how slow GM moves with this. Could have had TWO generations of Granite out with the Terrain and dominating the small cute CUV arena.
    Well in GMs defense, all a Granite will do at this point is clash with the Encore that is sold through the same dealer network.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

    richmond2000 (08-10-2020)

  20. #10
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 dannyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Empire State, USA
    Posts
    1,962
    Thanks
    1,588
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 685 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It's insane at how slow GM moves with this. Could have had TWO generations of Granite out with the Terrain and dominating the small cute CUV arena.
    Don’t forget Trax/Encore which have sold very well over the years. The question to me is should GMC have a clone of the Trailblazer/GX (“old GM”) or something more Trail Rated to differentiate (“new GM”)? I vote new GM.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

    4gm (08-07-2020),DequindreToo (08-07-2020),mbukukanyau (08-07-2020)

  22. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    5,999
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 636 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Amazing how good the Granite still looks!

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambalanche For This Useful Post:

    1958carnut (08-07-2020),DequindreToo (08-07-2020),mbukukanyau (08-07-2020)

  24. #12
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,415
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    I hope that GMC will make something to go toe to toe with the Jeep Renegade and the Ford Bronco Sport. My fear is that it will be another rebadge. GMC, if you really are professional grade, put your money where your mouth is.

  25. #13
    R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Carlsbad Commiefornia
    Posts
    31,367
    Thanks
    5,749
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 3,940 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    Quote Originally Posted by kenman923 View Post
    I hope that GMC will make something to go toe to toe with the Jeep Renegade and the Ford Bronco Sport. My fear is that it will be another rebadge. GMC, if you really are professional grade, put your money where your mouth is.
    So far they have not given any AT4 those last final bits that would give it the Chops, basically front and rear electronic locking diff and crawl modes and under carriage plating.
    Like the Yukon, Sierra and Canyon full scale offroad chops are a no brainer... but no.. GMC insists on stickers...

    Hopefully HUMMER does not get neutered

  26. #14
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8 rmc523's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    1,457
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 566 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    I've heard the new Granite is heavy.

  27. #15
    Chevrolet VOLT
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    St. George, Ut. (The Banned Section ;))
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    13,906
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

    Re: GMC's New Small Crossover Could Finally Be Happening

    GM be like: Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe. OK let's do it. Ooops too late... again.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

    Ed753 (08-08-2020)

  29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2