GMC Trax Version? "I think that is certainly possible," Trax Chief Engineer Says. - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GMC Trax Version? "I think that is certainly possible," Trax Chief Engineer Says.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Re: GMC Trax Version? "I think that is certainly possible," Trax Chief Engineer Says.

slap the GMC grill and red gauges on that little pig.. it already looks the part.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Re: GMC Trax Version? "I think that is certainly possible," Trax Chief Engineer Says.

It would share a showroom with the Encore. GMC really just needs to sell trucks and Buick can do the rest.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Just do it. I would name it the GMC "Safari".

A certain percentage (ok, micro percentage) will pay for a GMC "Insert Name Here" Denali version of the Trax. It can be a unique and very profitable new opportunity for this imported vehicle.

Encore, Trax or GMC copy? Who cares, at least GM gets the sale.
    Hasn't GM been repeatedly criticized for past "badge engineering"? Or is this different?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1999 White C5 Coupe For This Useful Post:

camaro_freak (12-06-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Ute
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    One vehicle for three divisions? That sounds like old GM stuff.
    It works for Escalade/Yukon/Tahoe and Lambda-triple. It will work for Encore /Trax /GMC, I'm sure. But the GMC should make their own style and interior.
    Why not try something like the Wrangler? It could still be a smaller vehicle, the difference being that it would have actual off-road capability.
    I agree.
    Hidden Content

Current car: Subaru Outback 3.0R 2008 MY
    Current car: Chevrolet Tahoe 2018 MY

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ute For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (12-06-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

I don't have an issue with a GMC off the Gamma II platform. However it needs to be quite a bit different than either the Encore and Trax. Jeep is coming out with the Renegade and if they can make it a worthy competitor then they should do it.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MechEng For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (12-06-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

If GMC was to start being "Unique" with its platform mates it should not go all out and make a Wrangler competitor. Start small and go with a Renegade Competitor.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,082 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    One vehicle for three divisions? That sounds like old GM stuff.

Why not try something like the Wrangler? It could still be a smaller vehicle, the difference being that it would have actual off-road capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    I don't have an issue with a GMC off the Gamma II platform. However it needs to be quite a bit different than either the Encore and Trax. Jeep is coming out with the Renegade and if they can make it a worthy competitor then they should do it.
    They could have it both ways. A Trax sibling with a better grade interior and a competitor to the Jeeps mentioned, Renegade and Wrangler, after all there is a cry or desire for more product in the GMC portfolio.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,152 Posts

I'll just leave this here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,369 Posts

The Jeep Renegade will light a fire in this segment and sales will take off, allowing more than enough room for a GMC variant.

GMC can use the Granite name since it will obviously not use it for a vehicle that would have been successful but GM's shortsighted management decided differently.

The Granite needs styling more like the Renegade with an "Off-Road" theme which will sell a lot of Jeep Renegades.that has more "Off-Road" capability than the Encore/Trax which will sell a lot of Jeep Renegades. And yes, everyone knows that the Renegade is not a "True Off-Roader" but not that many Jeep buyers (or any CUV/SUV) take their vehicle on serious Off-Road trails.

The Granite needs to have more "Off-Road" capability than the Encore as well, much like the Renegade has over the Fiat 500X and the Granite should have a "Trailhawk" trim to counter the Renegade.

Of course there must be a Denali version that needs more than a higher end trim and front fascia, and if the 1.6T will fit, it should be offered, at minimum a higher HP 1.4T.

Granted GMC needs it's own SUV like the Envoy to directly take on the Grand Cherokee along with a H3/H4 style Wranlger competitor but see no problem with the Granite being added as a complimentary model to the Encore.

Hopefully GMC will also upgrade the Terrain and Acadia to make them better competitors to the hot selling Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer.

Time for GMC to become the third SUV brand to fully compete with Jeep and Range Rover, GMC only makes SUV's, Trucks and Vans and that is mandatory for a "Premium SUV" brand. It is OK that GMC sells trucks since Jeep is surely to re-enter the segment with at least (2) models and maybe (3). Vans are no issue either since RAM sells them.

GMC has far more global growth potential than any other GM brand and given Jeep's global double and even triple digit sales rises in numerous global markets, with huge profits for FCA. GM had better get GMC as much product as possible in the next 24 months or risk being regulated to picking up scraps in the segment.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (12-07-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    I'll just leave this here

WRONG BRAND - Chevy makes cars and cannot sell in Europe.

Put a GMC front end on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    They could have it both ways. A Trax sibling with a better grade interior and a competitor to the Jeeps mentioned, Renegade and Wrangler, after all there is a cry or desire for more product in the GMC portfolio.
    Waste of time.

Only GMC needs to take on Jeep, as I have posted several times Jeep SELLS MORE SUV'S THAN CHEVY, and they don't even make a Full Size one, meaning "What the Brand stands for" means much more than how many dealer there are selling them.

Chevy is not the right brand for this fight.

GMC can out sell Jeep if GM would only give it the right product.

Chevy and Buick will sell plenty of Trax and Encore to different buyers and GMC will make the real money for GM in this "SUV" segment and every other one there is, an on a global basis if GM ever wises up.

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Two versions of the same car is enough. GMC should have something different.

Envoy pls.
    Yes. Give us a refreshed, properly mid-sized Envoy, please. You have 2 years to do it, as that's when I'll be in the market and I promise you, if done right I WILL buy one.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of... good question.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to V8GMT360 Guy For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (12-07-2014)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

How about an electrified version of the Trax using the new Voltec power train? Since it will probably be more expensive, make the electrified version exclusive to Buick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,152 Posts

SierraGS

WRONG BRAND - Chevy makes cars and cannot sell in Europe.

Put a GMC front end on it.
    That's the point, Chevy can't put a high price point on it, but GMC can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkimura View Post
    How about an electrified version of the Trax using the new Voltec power train? Since it will probably be more expensive, make the electrified version exclusive to Buick.
    You mean offer the Buick Sequel (Voltec) to the Buick Encore?

Be a good idea, but can also see GMC doing one - or even better, offer both

Buick Sequel and GMC Relay as "Voltec" versions of the Buick Encore and GMC Granite.

GMC could also use the Graphyte name in place of Relay for the GMC Granite and GMC Graphyte.

Offering both spreads the costs and Buick/GMC have a higher income buyer base with higher retail sales rates.

Can see this being a perfect "Premium" option for Granite Denali if GM does not want to go with (2) names although I would suggest both a Granite/Granite Denali and Graphyte/Graphyte Denali lineup (or Relay/Relay Denali).

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information