Is GMC The New Cadillac?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is GMC The New Cadillac?

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,190 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Is GMC The New Cadillac?

Automotive News
    October 12, 2020

Detroit's biggest seller of luxury vehicles isn't Cadillac anymore. It's GMC.

GMC's high-end Denali and AT4 lines are outselling General Motors' traditional luxury brand in the U.S. this year, according to figures from GM and the Automotive News Data Center. The automaker is building on Denali's ability to command luxury prices by expanding the AT4 off-road subbrand and planning a pair of high-performance electric vehicles that will revive the Hummer name.

"People are coming in writing $80,000 to $90,000 checks for these trucks," said Inder Dosanjh, dealer principal at Dublin Buick-GMC and Fremont Buick-GMC in the San Francisco Bay area. "There's so much demand out there."

In a year when U.S. auto sales are down 18 percent, most Denalis and AT4s arrive at Dosanjh's dealerships already sold, and customers are willing to open their wallets during a recession to load them up with extra features.

"We can't get enough of them," said Will Churchill, dealer principal at Frank Kent Country in Corsicana, Texas.

GMC, whose vehicles were often criticized in the era of Old GM as being just dressed-up Chevrolets, has grown in recent years into a "stealth luxury brand" that appeals to a wider swath of the market than the legacy competitors in that space, said Jeff Schuster, president of the Americas operation and global vehicle forecasting at LMC Automotive.

"Having the luxury features and content in a brand that isn't necessarily thought of as luxury is appealing to some buyers," Schuster said. "It's addressing part of the market that wasn't getting fully addressed previously. Consumers are gravitating toward these subbrands."

GMC will complete its rollout of AT4 in 2021 by offering it on the Terrain compact crossover. AT4, which was introduced in 2018 on the Sierra full-size pickup and added to everything else except the Terrain this year, has become the brand's fastest-turning trim.

Customers are so enthused about Denalis and AT4s that they'll pay sticker price, Churchill said. The trouble is overcoming inventory shortages created by last year's UAW strike and two months of production lost to the pandemic in the spring.

"It's not even a question," he said of buyers' willingness to pay what GM is asking. "It's a matter of who has them."

Article continues at link above.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,190 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Is GMC The New Cadillac?

"It's not even a question," he said of buyers' willingness to pay what GM is asking. "It's a matter of who has them."
    The last time I heard something like that was 1979. Gas had just reached $1.00 per gallon, and the Toyota Corolla was the vehicle to get...at any price.

Yes indeed, GMC is the new Cadillac. Well done GM!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-12-2020),criticalmass (10-12-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MisterMe's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet Malibu/2016/Pearl

Automotive News is a publication that writes about the automobile industry. As such, it knows why vehicles like the GMC Sierra Denali 3500 HD are selling so well. This reports comes off as click-bait rather than the in-depth information that one expects of a respected trade publication. My salesman explained it to me four years ago. When rich people write a check, they are not spending money. They are investing money. Light trucks like the Denali HD bring with them tremendous tax breaks.

My information is from four years ago and was probably changed by the tax bill of 2017. By changed, I mean that there is probably an even better tax break for buying vehicles like these. There are now rumors of Cadillac getting into the pickup truck business. If the rumors are true, then you know why.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterMe For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (10-12-2020),Mr.Buttons (10-12-2020),richmond2000 (10-12-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,304 Times in 4,032 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

GM needs to step up those interior materials to Cadillac and Mercedes levels then, they better not screw this up, especially with HUMMER coming online. This is their opportunity to push Cadillac higher without alienating their current Cadillac customers.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,399 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

wonder if CHEVY and FORD are seeing the same things in the "LUXURY" truck segment as the "KING RANCH" is the "gold standard" for LUX TRUCK for a LOT of people
    OR is GMC actually getting something "unique" out of this market

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 escaladelover's Avatar
    Thanks

as much as i love GMC as a luxury truck company, i miss them as a working man's truck company.

Tony Soprano would be so proud of this.
    R.I.P James Gandolfini

You know he's driving one of these up in Heaven.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    wonder if CHEVY and FORD are seeing the same things in the "LUXURY" truck segment as the "KING RANCH" is the "gold standard" for LUX TRUCK for a LOT of people
    GMC is unique because the Denali line up covers their entire product offering and the AT4 is completing that same breadth of product options. There is also no mistaking Denali for anything else than a Denali.. Fershur... you know its a Denali when you see it...

There is only a few high country models and only a few king ranch trims.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

criticalmass (10-12-2020),eklauss (10-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,211 Times in 4,952 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    Be interesting to know. However, we had a couple of threads over the past year or so where they've said many Denali customers typically have German vehicles in their garage and that they'd not consider a Chevy. I'd assume these same customers won't touch a Ford for the same reason they won't touch a Chevy. To me that say's GMC is attracting a unique customer. Though with that said, I'm certain Ford (and Chevy) are selling a ton of high end trucks!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-14-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It's useful to look at the overall ATPs, especially for truck-heavy brands vs Luxury.

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...ar-in-january/

GMC is around $47K vs Cadillac's $60K. That's a huge difference. GMC is actually closer to Ford's ATP ($43K) and lower than RAM ($49K). This really isn't in the luxury ballpark.

So indeed, cheaper vehicles tend to outsell luxury brands like Cadillac.

I do think GMC will grow their ATPs significantly with the new Yukon and growing Denali/AT4 sales, but we're still far off from Caddy regardless.
    Last edited by BORG; 10-12-2020 at 11:38 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

Andrew L (10-12-2020),BlackGTP (10-12-2020),emh (10-15-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    It's useful to look at the overall ATPs, especially for truck-heavy brands vs Luxury.

GMC is around $47K vs Cadillac's $60K.
    While GMC does command higher prices at the top of the range mostly all of those sales are at the top of the Sierra and Yukon products...their bottom end is well rather bland and downmarket:

so...on the whole, no it isn't Cadillac, its just those big ticket items that is propping up the ATPs that the rest of the range rides the coattails of.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-12-2020 at 02:49 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

BORG (10-12-2020),ClassyEldo (10-12-2020),Ed753 (10-12-2020),Mr.Buttons (10-12-2020),YEH (10-12-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

GMC is around $47K vs Cadillac's $60K. That's a huge difference. GMC is actually closer to Ford's ATP ($43K) and lower than RAM ($49K). This really isn't in the luxury ballpark.

I do think GMC will grow their ATPs significantly with the new Yukon and growing Denali/AT4 sales, but we're still far off from Caddy regardless.
    I doubt Denali is taking any Cadillac sales, Cadillac customers want ostentatious products in the Truck segment, there is no replacement for the Escalade or the CTS V.. if that is your thing...

There is a certain down town vibe that goes with Cadillac that GMC doesn’t capture

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-14-2020),Scrambler (10-13-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

If there was ever a nail in coffin for the the Buick = Lincoln argument it should be here. Buick 33k vs Lincoln 57k.
    Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

BORG (10-12-2020),DequindreToo (10-13-2020),Ed753 (10-12-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (10-13-2020),sdotjeezy (10-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,536 Posts

AT4 is only "premium" on the Yukon and Sierra...all other cases it's just a sticker package.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (10-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 525 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

Buick ATPs are very low, making the brand a tough bet to invest in.
    Last edited by BORG; 10-12-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew L View Post
    If there was ever a nail in coffin for the the Buick = Lincoln argument it should be here. Buick 33k vs Lincoln 57k.
    There is product overlap between the two,

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information