Trans Am Redux: Camaro vs Mustang in Koni Challenge CS Class

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans Am Redux: Camaro vs Mustang in Koni Challenge CS Class

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Trans Am Redux: Camaro vs Mustang in Koni Challenge CS Class

Riley Technologies Selected to Build Camaro for KONI Challenge

Mooresville, NC (12 August 2008) - The legion of Chevrolet Camaro fans will have a new place to focus their enthusiasm starting next January at Daytona International Speedway, as the legendary V8-powered classic Chevrolet performance machine will return to competition in the Grand-Am KONI Challenge GS Class in 2009.

Riley Technologies has been named the exclusive builder for the Camaro for KONI Challenge competition. The entry will be closely based on the highly anticipated all-new 2010 Camaro, which was recently officially unveiled simultaneously at the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan, and GM West Coast Advanced Design Studio North Hollywood, California, GM.

By entering the KONI Challenge, the Camaro will be competing head to head against a world-class field of production-based racers. The category has established itself as key showcase for both driver and product capabilities, and has enjoyed tremendous fields thanks in part to a SPEED television presence as well as a rules package that keeps cost containment a constant focus.

“The addition of the Camaro to the KONI Challenge GS class has been anticipated since our first peek at the car, and it’s sure to become an instant fan favorite,” said Grand-Am Vice President of Competition David Spitzer. “We are glad to support GM Racing, and their selection of Riley as the supplier of both cars and kits. They have a track record of safe and successful race cars, and excellent customer service. Grand Am will work closely with GM Racing and Riley to ensure the Camaro is priced fairly, and with the dedication of Riley we expect to have Camaros on the grid for Daytona in January.”

The machine will be delivered ready to race for $130,000, with deposits currently being accepted. Riley will be the only approved manufacturer for the car in KONI competition.

The Grand-Am KONI Challenge GS Class is the top KONI Challenge category. The 2008 KONI Challenge season has seen wins by the BMW M3, Porsche 911, and the Ford Mustang. In addition to racing in support of the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series, the KONI Challenge also holds events in conjunction with the IndyCar Series, NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, as well as staging stand-alone events

Camaro and Mustang will once again swap paint, racing fender to fender in the Koni Challenge CS series. They will also be running against Porsche, but all eyes will be on the Detroit muscle. Riley Tech. has worked with GM on several other racing projects for Rolex racing as well as a few other series will be building a Camaro car for the series for the 2009 year.
    More info at the link below.

www.rileytech.com/CompanyNews.html
    Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 09-27-2008 at 11:06 PM.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Trans Am Redux: Camaro vs Mustang in Koni Challenge CS Class

i absolutely volunteer to drive for them.
    Today, while lying with my 4-year old son during his nap, he rolled over, gently touched my face and whispered, "You're ugly." FML
    #9262251 (144)

I agree, your life sucks (13059) - you totally deserved it (2135)

On 03/21/2010 at 12:21am - kids - by EyeOfTheBeholder (woman) - United States (Maryland

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Too bad they don't have photos/illustrations of what the car is gonna look like.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have to admit....when I saw 'Trans Am' on the front page of GMI, my heart almost stopped!
    It is cool to see some real racing series' with exciting cars again!
    GM: 'Meet the new boss....same as the old boss!'
    Hidden Content

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,326 Posts

I wonder if the rules will require Mustang to carry 400 pounds of lead in order to have weight parity with Camaro.

j/k

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was waiting for you to chime in Charlie!
    Could this be our Z28 since GM needs to make X amount of cars for production right?
    Then again....they could just give us a SS.
    Id love for this to be the Z28's debut!!
    Alexander Villani

Have some news?

Thanks

Well Al, the racetrack is the crucible where the Z/28's no BS essence comes from.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    I was waiting for you to chime in Charlie!
    Could this be our Z28 since GM needs to make X amount of cars for production right?
    Then again....they could just give us a SS.
    Id love for this to be the Z28's debut!!
    Gah! That would be great. It would be an excellent entrance for the Z/28, especially if it is kept "hush-hush."

The Z/28 needs to be built for purpose rather than the Mustang's two-dozen, Limited Edition, appearance package ridiculous-ness. Thinking of GM going the way of the 60's and 70's with factory race cars, putting performance above unnecessary fluff, makes me smile....we can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Well Al, the racetrack is the crucible where the Z/28's no BS essence comes from.
    lol Al is a little out of the loop with the Camaro's history...you might have to start at the first chapter with him. hahaha
    Last edited by HoeyHimself; 09-27-2008 at 10:04 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

Forget big HP...whack 150lbs off the SS, give it a tighter suspension, stickier tires and call it the Z28. It could probably take out an M3!
    "But you are right, the Camaro gives the most bang for the buck" - Simon says

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    I know Charlie...oh, I know. Hence this gives GM and Chevy a great chance to send the Camaro out to a track, learn some race tricks, and bring it to market as the Z28.

Quote Originally Posted by HoeyHimself View Post
    Gah! That would be great. It would be an excellent entrance for the Z/28, especially if it is kept "hush-hush."

The Z/28 needs to be built for purpose rather than the Mustang's two-dozen, Limited Edition, appearance package ridiculous-ness. Thinking of GM going the way of the 60's and 70's with factory race cars, putting performance above unnecessary fluff, makes me smile....we can only hope.
    Z28 really needs to be a true performer, much like the Z06 is. It needs to be raw, given better equipment then your run of the mill SS.
    Ideally Id love to see a SIDI version of the LS3 making 475+hp N/A.
    MRC shock system, CTS-V's two-piece rotors, dry sump oiling, as well as cutting down on the overall weight of the car as much as you can. 200lbs should be easy without sacraficing too much.

lol Al is a little out of the loop with the Camaro's history...you might have to start at the first chapter with him. hahaha
    Charlie knows of my passion, him and I have discussed it in person before.
    Alexander Villani

Have some news?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Z28 really needs to be a true performer, much like the Z06 is. It needs to be raw, given better equipment then your run of the mill SS.
    Ideally Id love to see a SIDI version of the LS3 making 475+hp N/A.
    MRC shock system, CTS-V's two-piece rotors, dry sump oiling, as well as cutting down on the overall weight of the car as much as you can. 200lbs should be easy without sacraficing too much.
    An SIDI LS3 would be awesome. I've always felt that the SS can fit the need for stop light hustling but look prettied up with all of the bells and whistles...where as the Z/28 should feel more at home on the track than the street. Wishful thinking, ya know? The Z/28, in recent years, seemed to have become a filler trim for those that were willing to do without leather interior, an SS badge, and a few thousand dollars on the sticker. Irritating. For too long trims were based on price and not content. The Z/28 seemed to come with less to justify the SS being sold for more, no longer justifying the purpose of the Z/28. I dont see any reason why the Z/28 and SS shouldn't have mechanical/performance differances specific to the role they will fill once they leave the dealership. One does not need to be "better" than the other...let them both equally achieve greatness. One on the street, one on the strip.

At least, that is the feeling I have as a Camaro guy whos only gotten 3rd gen deep in his knowledge...so far

Charlie knows of my passion, him and I have discussed it in person before.
    I wasnt trying to come off smartass-ish, you've just proved to be a pretty hefty source of Camaro knowledge that I figure "if you dont know it, it aint." haha

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ahaha, no I didnt think that at all.

I have read a lot, learned a lot, and been around both the real and virtual block a few times in my short 24 years on this Earth.

Nothing could have kept my massive smile from coming through last Friday morning when I first got to sit inside the Camaro IVER car.
    Im really really excited about this car. I hope that when the Z28 rolls up, that its everything Z28 fans hoped for.
    Alexander Villani

Have some news?

Thanks

A SIDI LS3 would be my choice for a Z/28 motor rather than an LSA - that is, if you ask me. Unfortunately, during one of the Q&A sessions at Indy, it was announced that no direct injection V8's are in any future plans for this car.

The other thing that eats at me is if the 5th gen can even spawn a worthy Z/28, and yes I'm referring to it's mass. A Z/28 package based around an LSA will bring you a 4100 pound car. FORTYONEHUNDRED POUNDS!!!!!!

I wish that GM could make this car drop 300 pounds, slip a bigger cam in the LS3, go through the suspension/brakes/tires/gearing/etc. and deliver us a worthy Z/28.

Ain't no way this pig is losing any weight though.....

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Eh..I think 200lbs should be easy weight loss on a semi-factory track car.

I heard about this after watching the Koni Challenge on tv, which apparently was racing at NJ's new motorsports park which is awesome! I need to make it down there for next year to see the Camaro dusting some pony arse.
    Alexander Villani

Have some news?

Thanks

I would love to see a series like we had back than!!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information