Toyota considering competing in Australian V8 Supercars?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota considering competing in Australian V8 Supercars?

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Toyota considering competing in Australian V8 Supercars?

Toyota considering V8 Supercars?
    15TH OCTOBER 2004
    Crash.net

Japanese automotive giant Toyota is reportedly considering an entry to the V8 Supercar Series following AVESCO's recent announcement that the time is right to look at additional manufacturers for the series.

AVESCO boss Tony Cochrane chose the venue of the pre-event press conference for the Bob Jane T-Marts 1000k to announce that the series, which has been open to just Holden and Ford since its 1993 inception, is big enough to start looking to other possible entrants.

The major stumbling block to any potential entrant is that an Australian manufactured four-door saloon is required, and it must be powered by a pushrod V8 engine.

Other than Holden and Ford there are two major automotive manufacturers in Australia, Toyota and Mitsubishi, but neither currently has a V8 powered model on sale.

Toyota's Australian manufactured saloon is the Camry, whilst Mitsubishi has the Magna. With the Mitsubishi parent company currently embroiled in a number of recall issues, and not thought to be in fine financial health, it is unlikely that they would be currently interested in entering, although there is a four-wheel drive version of the Magna, which would make any conversion to rear-wheel drive easier.

Toyota, however, is cash-rich and as well as its Formula One programme it has made inroads into the GM vs Ford NASCAR series in the US with an entry in the Craftsman Truck series.

“We've certainly looked at all aspects of competing in V8 Supercars,” Toyota Australia's motorsport manager Phil Galaway told local motorsport publication, Auto Action. “It's not a new issue and a number of studies have been done over the last few years.”

Article Source: http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=101364&apn=2

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    I wonder if Toyota would actually lose money as they would be forced to compete in the very competitive Austrailian V8 market. It seems like Holden and Ford have that one pretty much locked up. Knowing Toyota tho, they'd do it.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    Ehhh....they'd probably just get kicked out for cheating anyways, like what happened in WRC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC crazywop112's Avatar
    Thanks
    Toyota would get smoked. Holden and ford australian cars are awesome.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar SUPERBADD75's Avatar
    Thanks

don't underestimate Toyota....

Quote Originally Posted by crazywop112
    Toyota would get smoked. Holden and ford australian cars are awesome.
    oh how stupid! Toyota is pretty awesome, too, they just don't have a rear drive car in Oz. they could, however, build a version of the Altezza there, and that would give them a rear driver to use, and they could use the NASCAR V8, which is a pushrod engine. that would about do it. i like the Aussie V8 rides, but that would be a killer car.... Altezza with a NASCAR engine.... sign me up, baby!!
    Acura: Because if you want a really nice Honda, there's only one choice.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    - 2008 Trailblazer LT3
    - 2009 Mustang V6 5M Premium/Pony Pack

SUPPORT AMERICA: BOYCOTT WAL-MART

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC crazywop112's Avatar
    Thanks
    The nascar V8 is a chevrolet motor. It's possible that toyota can compete but I am a GM fan and not a Toyota fan. That's why I am in this forum.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBADD75
    They could, however, build a version of the Altezza there, and that would give them a rear driver to use, and they could use the NASCAR V8, which is a pushrod engine. that would about do it. i like the Aussie V8 rides, but that would be a killer car.... Altezza with a NASCAR engine.... sign me up, baby!!
    Pushrod? PUSHROD?? I thought that was old technology, and unworthy of Mighty Toyota!! Oh wait a minute...Nascar crew chiefs use OHV engines instead of the far superior OHC engine?? That can't be right. (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

A friend in Brisbane has a Mitsubishi Magna, and since his visit here this summer, he left here wishing that Mitsu should throw an American style V8 in an Australian model, after driving some of our V8's here. He may get his wish, it seems.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    The toyota NASCAR V-8 i've heard is and read articles on...just wait for a production version with roots in the racing version to come out...it's gona give even the LS2 and HEMI a run for their money

and i see toyota competing EXTREMELY well in any venue of racing they do...more power to'em maybe they can knock the american manuifacturers off and make them actually USE what they build in racing...GM's the only company i know of witht he LS6 that has a racing pedigree

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have one thing to say to this.....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHEHEHAHAHAHAHBWWHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHEHEHEAHAHHHAHAHHMOOHHAHAHHEHEHAHAH !!
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC HOJIMAN2K3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Holden rules all

BRING THE SS COMMODORE TO ME IN THE STATES NOW

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC HOJIMAN2K3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Does anyone know why I have a big ass avatar?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marinerbc
    Pushrod? PUSHROD?? I thought that was old technology, and unworthy of Mighty Toyota!! Oh wait a minute...Nascar crew chiefs use OHV engines instead of the far superior OHC engine?? That can't be right. (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

A friend in Brisbane has a Mitsubishi Magna, and since his visit here this summer, he left here wishing that Mitsu should throw an American style V8 in an Australian model, after driving some of our V8's here. He may get his wish, it seems.
    i agree; all NASCAR engines are OHVs, Toyota built one for the Tundra for the Nascar truck... it sounds ain't making sense cuz Japanese manufacturers do not use OHVs anymore (except trucks)...

i am not sure what's the regulation for V8 supercars... since Ford Falcon V8 are all OHCs (either SOHC or quad-cam)... hopefully Toyota use the 4.3L... e.g. IS430? LS430 must work...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar SUPERBADD75's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crazywop112
    The nascar V8 is a chevrolet motor. It's possible that toyota can compete but I am a GM fan and not a Toyota fan. That's why I am in this forum.

don't know where you heard that, but it's false. the Toyota NASCAR engine was developed by TRD. nice try, though.
    Acura: Because if you want a really nice Honda, there's only one choice.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    - 2008 Trailblazer LT3
    - 2009 Mustang V6 5M Premium/Pony Pack

SUPPORT AMERICA: BOYCOTT WAL-MART

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBADD75
    don't know where you heard that, but it's false. the Toyota NASCAR engine was developed by TRD. nice try, though.
    yup.. superbadd is right.. although, it looks oddly familiar..hmmmmmm..

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPALAon20s
    yup.. superbadd is right.. although, it looks oddly familiar..hmmmmmm..

do any of them look different?

it's the internals that count and toyotas doin it right...

besides every one knows they stole their R and D from dodge

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information