Tony Stewart to reunite with Chevrolet, Maybe

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart to reunite with Chevrolet, Maybe

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Tony Stewart to reunite with Chevrolet, Maybe

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar...ory?id=3364023

Tony Stewart has begun discussion with Joe Gibbs Racing officials about his future with the company, ESPN.com has learned. And that future, sources say, is questionable. Multiple sources close to the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity said Stewart told Gibbs officials that he'd like to be released from the final year of his current driving contract, which expires at the conclusion of the 2009 season. "He definitely has some options," JGR president J.D. Gibbs said. "To me it's no different than any of the the options he's had before. The reality is he's racing here through 2009. There's no ifs, ands or buts about that one. Our stance is he's racing for us through 2009." Stewart's publicist, Mike Arning, said "Tony's contract is through the 2009 season. When that is up he'll have a lot of options for 2010 and beyond. But in terms of what he's going to do, or might do, for now and in between, as far as JGR is concerned he's their driver for 2009." Sources said Stewart is intrigued by the thought of team ownership. One potential scenario mentioned was a partnership with Haas/CNC Racing, under which Stewart would own as much as a 50% stake in the race team that currently fields the #66 and #70 Chevys. Under that scenario he would drive one of those two machines. Haas GM Joe Custer said he has spoken with several people about the future status of his team, including Stewart's group. He was adamant that his team has reached no deal with Stewart, but would "by all means be interested in discussing a partnership with a driver of his caliber." Such a move would reunite Stewart with Chevrolet, which sources said was of the utmost importance to the driver, given that he's driven for General Motors for most of his career, and that GM sponsors Stewart's open wheel sprint car program. Gibbs switched to Toyotas from Chevrolets in 2008. Haas/CNC Racing currently fields cars built and powered by Hendrick Motorsports, the organization that has won four Cup championships in the past 10 years, including the past two
    Last edited by doh; 04-25-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: add rumour

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: Tony Stewart to reunite with Chevrolet

Hmm...sounds like someone else is fed up with their toyota...
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I would say he does want out for the Gibbs to be making a statement like that. I don't like any of them, but if I was Gibbs I would not let him go. A contract is a contract. I'm sick of athletes that pull this crap.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1G6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member 1G6's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope Tony gets his way, and I hope Gibbs never wins another race. What a bunch of unpatriotic tools.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AndrewGS's Avatar
    Thanks

I like Tony, but I don't want him to win while he's in a Toyota. That's just my ol' fashoned brand preference. I'd rather Junior or Gordon win a race.
    Andrew - Hidden Content - Hidden Content - KD5FHW
    2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS
    2014 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost

Hidden Content
    Do you remember back in old LA, when everybody drove a Chevrolet? ♫

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LAChevy24's Avatar
    Thanks

that would be awesome and that might add to the Hendrick Powerstable if he still uses the Hendrick engines. i was always wondering about this, because he was in the armorall commercial with the corvette.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

the 66 and 70 teams are lucky to have 2 top 5 finishes per year combined. there are better chevy teams than haas cnc

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spaz View Post
    the 66 and 70 teams are lucky to have 2 top 5 finishes per year combined. there are better chevy teams than haas cnc
    Yes but not Chevy teams willing to give a 50% stake for maybe a couple of wins. I see a Retirement plan, in the big sceme of things.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

If he goes to CNC/Haas, he brings them instant credibility, and maybe he brings his sponsor with him too, you never know. They could start being competitive with more sponsor dollars, a good driver (REALLY good driver) and more exposure.

Gibbs would be unwise to hold him if he doesn't want to stay, IMO; that's a recipe for disaster. See Carter, Vince, Toronto Raptors for more possible gory details.

More discussion on this here:
    GMI's NASCAR 2008 thread

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Quote Originally Posted by 1G6 View Post
    I hope Tony gets his way, and I hope Gibbs never wins another race. What a bunch of unpatriotic tools.
    i agree.

I saw this comming, Tony's too involved with Chevy to stay in a toyota. hell he's even in a armor all commercial with a corvette. And they sponsor his dirt track team. Besides, he wants to win. Other then kurt busch...nobody can

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Does anybody else find it weird that toyota/the camry is even allowed to be in Nascar...its "stock" car racing, or as close as it could. But the camry doesnt even offer a v8

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    I would say he does want out for the Gibbs to be making a statement like that. I don't like any of them, but if I was Gibbs I would not let him go. A contract is a contract. I'm sick of athletes that pull this crap.
    I wouldn't put Tony Stewart in the same group of athletes you are refering to. I would put him in the same group of athletes that appear on Food Network.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by American_Muscle View Post
    Does anybody else find it weird that toyota/the camry is even allowed to be in Nascar...its "stock" car racing, or as close as it could. But the camry doesnt even offer a v8
    They reverse engineered some Chevy small blocks some years back (because they did not have an OHV V8 at the time) so that they could enter the Craftsman Truck Series.

They are also the ONLY manufacturer that NASCAR does NOT require that they actually use their OHV V8 in any of their cars or trucks. Those are all OHC if memory serves.

Guess money talks, and the France family listens.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1G6 View Post
    I agree. Charlotte is getting the NASCAR Hall of Fame and I want them to name Gibbs as the first traitor to switch over to Toyota. Thanks a lot Gibbs.
    If all of the parts for Hondas and Toyotas are made in the US, then why did they have shortages after the tsunami in Japan?

Thanks

Update:
    Gibbs wants team to focus on winning, not Stewart contract rumors

SI.com reported that Stewart is in the final stages of a contract that would land him at Haas/CNC Racing next year.
    I didn't think it was that close!! I thought it was still only in the "discussion" stage. This is getting very interesting.
    Last edited by drew630; 04-24-2008 at 08:27 PM.
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information