SRT Viper GTS-R completes first track test [w/video]

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: SRT Viper GTS-R completes first track test [w/video]

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoblog
    June 10, 2012
    by Drew Phillips

This week, the new SRT Viper GTS-R hit the racetrack for the very first time at Carolina Motorsports Park, in the wake of its surprise unveiling at the New York Auto Show in April. According to the SRT Motorsports team in attendance, the shakedown run was an overwhelming success with the car performing better than expected. "To basically build that car, start it up the first time like the day before and have it run around the whole day and do everything it was supposed to do was a huge achievement," said Gary Johnson, SRT Motorsports road racing manager.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,307 Times in 4,034 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: SRT Viper GTS-R completes first track test [w/video]

Extremely fast gear changes.. For corvette racing, this is what the enemy sounds like...

Thanks
    My Ride
    1987 Chevrolet R10

That looks good (and menacing)... this is going to be a good thing for Corvette enthusiasts- with better competition comes better racing products for the consumer. It will be some real cut-throat racing between these pure-bred racing machines!

In the sea of new automotive faces,
    there's nothing like the appreciation and beauty of an older model. Let's represent!

~ZvetteGuy

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Damn.... C7R had better up its game.

That thing sounds mean!
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of... good question.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

.. Oh baby.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet it doesn't sound that good after 23 and a half hours at Le Mans, though.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by V8GMT360 Guy View Post
    Damn.... C7R had better up its game.

That thing sounds mean!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZvetteGuy View Post
    That looks good (and menacing)... this is going to be a good thing for Corvette enthusiasts- with better competition comes better racing products for the consumer. It will be some real cut-throat racing between these pure-bred racing machines!
    The C6 is handing it to the vipers distant Italian cousin 458 without dual clutch and direct injection, a down graded 5.5 L motor, and its still dominating everyone..

This is going to get a spanking from C6, mark my words.. Corvettes right now are the team to beat...

Chevrolet knows how to build a sports car...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The C6 is handing it to the vipers distant Italian cousin 458 without dual clutch and direct injection, a down graded 5.5 L motor, and its still dominating everyone..

This is going to get a spanking from C6, mark my words.. Corvettes right now are the team to beat...

Chevrolet knows how to build a sports car...

Just like the Team Oreca Viper GTS-R was the team to beat during the C5 years....

And the Italia is the Vipers Cousin only by Marriage.....no where close to blood cousins.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    Just like the Team Oreca Viper GTS-R was the team to beat during the C5 years....

And the Italia is the Vipers Cousin only by Marriage.....no where close to blood cousins.
    cousins nevertheless

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

No doubt that the Viper GTSR was the car to beat when the C5R first started off in the ALMS. In 1999 the C5R packed a 6.0L engine, it produced 600BHP and there were some races (1999 was a limited season for the C5R) where the Corvette actually beat the Viper. 2000 was the first full season for the C5R and the year that they went with a 7.0L engine. Previous Vipers packed a 8.0L V-10 engine that was allowed to make as much as 750BHP a serious monster. Though I think there was a rule change that limited horsepower to around 600BHP when the C5R got involved.

Long after the Orca Viper dominance the second generation GTSR still raced even during the 3rd and 4th generation of Vipers the 2nd gens still raced. I think its funny but ever since the Viper GTSR started to win its class at Le Mans American cars have dominated that class at Le Mans. Viper won in 1998,1999, and 2000 while the Corvette won in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2001.

Regardless of the Vipers engine, in the GT class now its limited to around 500BHP and max engine size is 5.5L. I don't know how they are going to deal with this, maybe a destroked version of their 8.4L V-10 engine. The real question would be this, will the Viper retake their crown in the GTE class away from the Corvette?.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PistonsFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    No doubt that the Viper GTSR was the car to beat when the C5R first started off in the ALMS. In 1999 the C5R packed a 6.0L engine, it produced 600BHP and there were some races (1999 was a limited season for the C5R) where the Corvette actually beat the Viper. 2000 was the first full season for the C5R and the year that they went with a 7.0L engine. Previous Vipers packed a 8.0L V-10 engine that was allowed to make as much as 750BHP a serious monster. Though I think there was a rule change that limited horsepower to around 600BHP when the C5R got involved.

Long after the Orca Viper dominance the second generation GTSR still raced even during the 3rd and 4th generation of Vipers the 2nd gens still raced. I think its funny but ever since the Viper GTSR started to win its class at Le Mans American cars have dominated that class at Le Mans. Viper won in 1998,1999, and 2000 while the Corvette won in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2001.

Regardless of the Vipers engine, in the GT class now its limited to around 500BHP and max engine size is 5.5L. I don't know how they are going to deal with this, maybe a destroked version of their 8.4L V-10 engine. The real question would be this, will the Viper retake their crown in the GTE class away from the Corvette?.
    The word is, ACO will let them run the 8.0 liter engine, albeit with some elevated minimum vehicle weight. It may be fastest on the short tracks (highest torque of any car out there), but it'll likely be worse in fuel consumption on the endurance races. We'll see. I love the growth that ALMS is seeing. Lots of manufacturers in the GT class. I just wish they would do aways with the GTC class.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

The high torque may benefit fuel consumption. That's the strategy corvette and the diesels use. Being a new beast, it will likely have an advantage for a couple of races beofre they're reigned in.

Back in the day Oreca rebuilt the viper frame because the build quality was so horrible. I wonder what they have to do to the new one to make it race worthy.

Thanks

Who will race and prepare the Viper for racing? My guess is Phoenix Performance of Phoenixville Pa. They have prepared countless SCCA winning Corvettes and now Continental Cup Subarus. Former GM racing engineer John Heinracy works closely with the Acquilante family to produce fast reliable cars.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tre-Tre's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad the SRT Viper GTS-R is around it will keep GM's feet to the fire.

Banned
    Thanks

I'd drive the hell out one of these.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information