Sir Jack Brabham dead at 88

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Sir Jack Brabham dead at 88

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Sir Jack Brabham dead at 88

It has been reported on ABC news that Sir Jack Brabham has died this morning aged 88. Sir Jack is the only person who has driven a vehicle of his own design and make to an F1 World Championship. he was also the oldest surviving World Champion.
    A great Australian leaves us.
    Thoughts are with the whole Brabham family which includes grandson racers and now a great grandson car racer.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-1...m-dies/5461332

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Re: Sir Jack Brabham dead at 88

RIP (Rev in Peace) Sir Jack.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

RIP, Jack.

This brief bio skips some important parts. Hate it when they do that:

John Arthur 'Jack' Brabham was born on 2 April 1926 in Hurstville, then a commuter town outside Sydney, Australia. Brabham was involved with cars and mechanics from an early age. At the age of 12, he learned to drive the family car and the trucks of his father's grocery business. Brabham attended technical college, preferring basic metalwork, carpentry and technical drawing.[3]

Brabham's early career continued the engineering theme. At the age of 15 he left school to work, combining a job at a local garage with an evening course in mechanical engineering. Brabham soon branched out into his own business selling motorbikes, which he bought and repaired for sale, using his parents' back veranda as his workshop.[4]

One month after his 18th birthday on 19 May 1944 Brabham enlisted into the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). Although keen on becoming a pilot, there was already a surplus of trained aircrew and the Air Force instead put his mechanical skills to use as a flight mechanic, of which there was a wartime shortage. He was based at RAAF Williamtown where he worked on maintaining Bristol Beaufighters at No 5 Operational Training Unit (5OTU). On his 20th birthday, 2 April 1946, Brabham was discharged from the RAAF at the rank of Leading Aircraftman (LAC). He then started a small service, repair and machining business in a workshop built by his uncle on a plot of land behind his grandfather's house.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Brabham

Amazing. And he didn't even go to college!!

Pretty good life, a pretty good death. Sounds like it was quick and he was living in his own home to the end. No drawn out disease process. Good work, Sir.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (05-19-2014),Commodoreman2000 (05-19-2014),VS Ute 5Litre (05-19-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,606 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Jack was an amazing man

Not many like that today

R.I.P Jack - but I know you wont

Probably be tearing it up all over the pearly gates and fixing stuff
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,083 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

A racing icon without question,
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar zl-1's Avatar
    Thanks

rip

Thanks
    My Ride
    WRX Premium, GC8 WRX, BMW 318i

Jack attended most Australian Formula 1 Grands Prix. Until recently he would drive one of the older cars in parade laps. Last time I saw him was last year I think, he was in the public pit enclosure for the historic cars, I think sitting in front of a Brabham just talking to people as they went past.

His 1966 effort was epic. It was the equivalent of Mark Webber coming back to Formula 1 in about 5 years driving for the Webber Formula 1 team using a completely Australian designed engine as well as chassis and winning the World Championship.

We have lost 3 very important Australian sporting icons in the last couple of weeks - Reg Gasnier (Rugby League), Tom Hafey (Australian Rules Football) and now Jack Brabham. All true gentlemen and sportsmen, and people you just expected to be there forever.

2017 Subaru WRX Premium S-Edition sedan
    White/Black, CVT
    2018 BMW 318i M Sport sedan
    Black/black, Auto
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo
    2010 Holden Cruze CDX sedan
    Red/Black leather, satnav, camera, diesel auto
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    Jack attended most Australian Formula 1 Grands Prix. Until recently he would drive one of the older cars in parade laps. Last time I saw him was last year I think, he was in the public pit enclosure for the historic cars, I think sitting in front of a Brabham just talking to people as they went past.

His 1966 effort was epic. It was the equivalent of Mark Webber coming back to Formula 1 in about 5 years driving for the Webber Formula 1 team using a completely Australian designed engine as well as chassis and winning the World Championship.

We have lost 3 very important Australian sporting icons in the last couple of weeks - Reg Gasnier (Rugby League), Tom Hafey (Australian Rules Football) and now Jack Brabham. All true gentlemen and sportsmen, and people you just expected to be there forever.
    Well said.

Amazingly, Jack and Reg came out of the same area of Sydney (approximately). Must have had good water or something, I think Ken Rosewall also grew up nearby.
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information