Second North American V8 Supercars event would boost Austin 400, says COTA

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Second North American V8 Supercars event would boost Austin 400, says COTA

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Second North American V8 Supercars event would boost Austin 400, says COTA

COTA: Second North American event would boost Austin 400

Stefan Bartholomaeus
    21 May 2013
    www.speedcafe.com

Moves to add a second North American event to the V8 Supercars schedule will be welcomed by the Circuit of the Americas as the venue pushes to develop the Austin 400.

The COTA hosted V8 Supercars’ first foray into the world’s biggest consumer market at the weekend, attracting an announced attendance of 69,000.

Unlike recent international V8 Supercars events in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi that were built on public money as drivers of tourism, the Austin 400 will rely on ticket revenue – and the success-linked local event fund – for survival.

The weekend’s crowd is said to have included Americans from 30 different states, while nine percent of the total patrons travelled from Australia.

Having reportedly paid in the region of $6.5 million to host the series this year, twinning the Austin event with another in North America looms as an attractive option for the circuit as it aims to ensure sustainability over its current five-year term and beyond.

“When there are sports in America that are in various markets that raises the tide for everyone,” said COTA president Steve Sexton, admitting that the circuit has “had discussions” about twinning with another venue.

“It raises the media awareness, the fan awareness, the social media awareness, and that typically converts to selling tickets.

“It’s really V8 Supercars’ decision whether to go and pursue other circuits and reach out in North America, but I can tell you we share the vision of raising that tide and getting V8 Supercars more exposure in the country,” he added.

V8 Supercars’ director of international business, Adam Firth, has remained in America following the weekend, where it is understood that he’ll be meeting with a selection of potential promoters for further races.

The COTA’s contract with V8 Supercars does prevent the category from racing within a designated radius of Austin, Texas, although just how far reaching the limit extends is unclear.

Continue here

NRL's St George Illawarra legend Wendell Sailor and HRT's James Courtney at the Austin 400

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Sox
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

Re: Second North American V8 Supercars event would boost Austin 400, says COTA

IMHO NASCAR should invite the V8 Supercars to compete in the Nationwide Series. That would automatically pump up a second class series that faces competition from Camping World Trucks. I rarely see anyone in the stands for Nationwide (other than the drivers' mothers). Now that would knock everybody's sox off!

...or Sprint Cup?

Thanks

I would like to see an enduro on the full course with the second driver being a N/A driver to give locAls someone to support. Maybe a few support races on the Saturday, think open wheelers, drifters and bikes with an 8 hr event on the Sunday

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

This is a nice series but I just dont want them to dumb down the cars and make them even and equal! Like what they did with the Corvette!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RedVee8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 VF Calais "Heron White"

Lol @ Wendell !!!
    Current Holdens.
    VH Commodore Vacationer 253 V8; AH Astra CDX 1.8; VF Calais 3.6V6
    plus U12 Nissan Pintara SuperHatch.
    Previous Holdens.
    69 HT Kingswood 186; 75 HJ Premier 202; 77 TC Gemini; 85 JD Camira SL/E 1.8i; CG06 Captiva LX 3.2V6, CG09 Captiva LX 3.2V6, 2012 VEII Commodore SV6 3.6sidi.

Keep Holden On.

Hidden Content
    St George Illawarra, Ibanez AEB10E-BK, Feider PBass, Challenger Bass
    4StringsGood

Thanks
    My Ride
    WRX Premium, GC8 WRX, BMW 318i

Quote Originally Posted by Sox View Post
    IMHO NASCAR should invite the V8 Supercars to compete in the Nationwide Series. That would automatically pump up a second class series that faces competition from Camping World Trucks. I rarely see anyone in the stands for Nationwide (other than the drivers' mothers). Now that would knock everybody's sox off!

...or Sprint Cup?
    Nice idea, but it would only work on the road circuits. V8Supercars would go around a banked bowl worse that Nascars go around a road track. They have independent rear suspension which would be much harder to reconfigure for an oval. The Nascar suspension can be rejigged much easier.

2017 Subaru WRX Premium S-Edition sedan
    White/Black, CVT
    2018 BMW 318i M Sport sedan
    Black/black, Auto
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo
    2010 Holden Cruze CDX sedan
    Red/Black leather, satnav, camera, diesel auto
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Really wish we had this racing series full time in the US. Love that they are racing a couple races here though, it's the best racing out there I think. Wish Chrysler would get involved with the charger!
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

This series is way better than the current TransAm and light years more interesting than the Sprint Cup. A road course series for sedans [not outdated Nascar sleds] with present TransAm cars could easily be upgraded to run with the Supercars. Many similar series run in Europe as a V8 powered FIA type cars.....Italy, Spain, Netherlands, have road course cars running.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information