Power Wins 1st Race Of Season, Controversial Penalty Affects Points

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Power Wins 1st Race Of Season, Controversial Penalty Affects Points

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Power Wins 1st Race Of Season, Controversial Penalty Affects Points

“The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Power Wins 1st Race Of Season, Controversial Penalty Affects Points

I for one agree with the penalty. The overhead shot during the telecast shows Dixon going through Power's pit stall and the crewman, where some see fault, staying in his pit stall. If the crewman and tire weren't hit, Dixon would have cleared Power by a foot or 2 which is very close in Indycar racing. I remember last year this happening to Power, although he didn't hit anyone. But at Mid-Ohio, Dixon's crew placed the tire in a way to obstruct Power's entry to his pit stall, causing Power to loose the race off pit road with Dixon.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I agree with the penalty it seems there has been a lot of back and forth going on there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm a huge Chevy fan in all forms of auto racing, however, I do not agree with the penalty assessed to Dixon. I hope there is an appeal process like there is in NASCAR.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I'm a huge Chevy fan in all forms of auto racing, however, I do not agree with the penalty assessed to Dixon. I hope there is an appeal process like there is in NASCAR.
    He clearly crossed into the pit of the other team by half a car, it was totally his fault. The crew member was in his own pit stall. The white pit lines are for NASCAR, Indycar pits are bigger by several feet.

Proof: http://www.indycals.net/images/misc/willspitbox.jpg

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Harry_Dunne's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mutt Cutts Van / Fur

Quote Originally Posted by derek77 View Post
    I for one agree with the penalty. The overhead shot during the telecast shows Dixon going through Power's pit stall and the crewman, where some see fault, staying in his pit stall. If the crewman and tire weren't hit, Dixon would have cleared Power by a foot or 2 which is very close in Indycar racing. I remember last year this happening to Power, although he didn't hit anyone. But at Mid-Ohio, Dixon's crew placed the tire in a way to obstruct Power's entry to his pit stall, causing Power to loose the race off pit road with Dixon.
    How can you say he went through Power's pit stall? Look again, and notice that the lines are not marking the Indy pitstalls, for some stupid reason the Indycar officials chose to ignore the painted lines used by the other series, which was a factor in this instance. It looked to me like the Power crew man intentionally slow-footed his return to the wall for the purpose of delaying Dixon. Should have been a no-call, but if for some reason the regulations said that he had to be penalized for hitting something/someone, the Penske team should also have been penalized for interfering with Dixon's exit. Poor call.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Dunne View Post
    How can you say he went through Power's pit stall? Look again, and notice that the lines are not marking the Indy pitstalls, for some stupid reason the Indycar officials chose to ignore the painted lines used by the other series, which was a factor in this instance. It looked to me like the Power crew man intentionally slow-footed his return to the wall for the purpose of delaying Dixon. Should have been a no-call, but if for some reason the regulations said that he had to be penalized for hitting something/someone, the Penske team should also have been penalized for interfering with Dixon's exit. Poor call.

Looks like both front tires are in Power's box to me or almost both.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Harry_Dunne's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Mutt Cutts Van / Fur

Looks like both front tires are in Power's box to me or almost both.
    Good find. I don't know the rules on that, but I would still say that the best call was a no call, given the behavior of the Penske crewman. I would bet that this happens on virtually every stop. I also am curious how the size of the pit stalls this weekend compare to typical ones.

Thanks

Good find. I don't know the rules on that, but I would still say that the best call was a no call, given the behavior of the Penske crewman. I would bet that this happens on virtually every stop. I also am curious how the size of the pit stalls this weekend compare to typical ones.
    The pit stalls are larger for Indy than they are for Nascar. Look at the overhead shot that has been marked up. He is CLEARLY driving through the other teams box. I don't think an Indy driver could see lines on the ground in front of the car anyway.

http://www.indycals.net/images/misc/willspitbox.jpg

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC carisi2k9's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 VE Sportswagon

I also remember that incident. I have read lots of places where people have forgotten that incident. Will went out slowly and avoided the penalty but lost a position to Scott. Scott clearly wasn't as concerned with Will Powers crew members as Will was for his. Penalty Deserved

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC carisi2k9's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 VE Sportswagon

You can not have someone driving recklessly in pitlane, who knocks 3 guys over who were doing there business in their pit box and not penalize him. So long as the Pit crew are in their bay the blame is 100% on Dixon. The question should be how did Scott Dixon end up so far into Will Power's pit bay. The Answer is probably that Scott was probably too far forward in his bay in the hope that it would make life difficult for Will Power. It isn't like the Ganassi team hasn't done that before as mentioned previously at mid ohio.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information