Official: Volvo to join V8 Supercars in 2014 - Chrysler and BMW to follow?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Official: Volvo to join V8 Supercars in 2014 - Chrysler and BMW to follow?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Official: Volvo to join V8 Supercars in 2014 - Chrysler and BMW to follow?

Factory-backed Polestar V8 Supercar team to change hearts and minds: Volvo

Mike Costello
    18 June 2013
    www.goauto.com.au

Volvo Car Australia wants the S60 sedan to be considered a genuine rival to the popular and critically acclaimed BMW 3 Series, and will use its bold move into V8 Supercars to spread the word.

The company revealed this week it would fund a pair of S60-based V8 racecars from the first round of 2014, in collaboration with its official racing partner Polestar in Sweden and Melbourne-based Garry Rogers Motorsport, previously a Holden privateer.

The team will be called Volvo Polestar Racing, and will hit the track a year after a factory-backed Nissan team and a privateer Mercedes-Benz joined the series, moving it beyond traditional rivals Holden and Ford.

The announcement comes in conjunction with the local media launch of the company’s strictly limited $109,950, 257kW, all-wheel-drive S60 Polestar performance sedan.

As reported, Polestar is using the Australian market as part of an international pilot program: it will launch 50 cars here before any other market, including Sweden, and will assess feedback before making its next move.

Polestar is not owned by Volvo, but operates as an exclusive racing partner and tuning arm with full factory support – think somewhere between HSV, which is a separate company to GM Holden but has a standalone retail presence, and Mercedes-owned AMG or BMW-owned M Division.

Volvo in Australia hopes the launch of a factory-backed racing team will, along with its toe-in-the-water road-car exercise with Polestar, change perceptions and sex up its image, particularly that of the S60.

Speaking to GoAuto shortly after the announcement of the V8 Supercars team, Volvo Car Australia managing director Matt Braid said that since the S60 badge had less history than ‘3 Series’, ‘A4’ or ‘C-Class’, it needed new avenues to boost awareness and credibility.

“It’s all about the S60,” he said. “The medium luxury sedan segment is hotly contested; if we look at where we are in the marketplace, there’s still a really good opportunity for us.

“But you look against A4, 3 Series, C-Class, those nameplates are all their fourth or fifth generations, whereas S60 is only in its second, so we’re not as well known there.

“The idea behind the racing is to get the S60 there and get the nameplate known and recognised in the minds of the buyers ... it’s the most dynamic car we sell in our range, and it’s therefore the obvious choice from a motorsport angle.

“Come and see why we race it.

“I’d be naive to say we had no image problem, but it’s improving all the time and each year it gets better and better. Quite clearly, without being disrespectful, but certain age groups we see very positive respect for the brand, no baggage ... young buyers.

“It’s only really 50 (years old) and above where the legacy continues, but it’s changing by the day. It’ll take time and we aren’t out of the woods yet.”

Volvo is no stranger to Australian motorsport, having won to Australian Touring Car Championship in 1986, and the Bathurst 1000 in 1998 with its S40-based touring car. Former drivers include Peter Brock and Jim Richards.

In what could be construed as a pointed reference to the rival Erebus AMG Supercars team – which is not backed by Mercedes-Benz Australia – Mr Braid called Volvo Polestar “the first luxury car brand to enter a factory team in the V8 Supercars Championship”.

The expansion in the series’ ranks is as intended: the V8 Supercar Championship’s new Car of the Future architecture was designed to accommodate a wider spread of brands than the traditional local car-makers.

Continue here

Three more brands lining up for V8's

James Phelps
    18 June 2013
    www.carsguide.com.au

Skaife said the sport could only sustain a couple more entries, with the new teams chasing success in a competitive field.
    BMW and Chrysler tipped to be interested in joining V8 Supercars

Mark Skaife yesterday revealed there are another three car manufacturers lining up to join the newest player on the V8 grid after the Holden chairman and Supercars' commissioner announced Volvo would to take the fight to Holden, Ford, Nissan and Mercedes next year.

On another landmark day for the sport that will ensure the category's long term viability, Volvo yesterday committed to becoming V8 Supercars' fifth manufacturer, with the Swedish giant joining Garry Rogers Motorsport for a two-car assault on the championship.

But Skaife said there could be more than two V8 Volvo S60s on the grid from 2015, with the former champion revealing he is still in talks with another three manufacturers about joining the series.

News Limited understands BMW and Chrysler are two of the interested parties.

"I can say that I am in discussion with three,'' Skaife said, "We have held talks and we will continue to, going forward. They have all said they are interested but whether or not they come and play I don't know."

"Either way, we have to make sensible decisions to gain factory-backed support for race teams currently not receiving that support. This is about the viability of our sport.''

Continue here

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Official: Volvo to join V8 Supercars in 2014 - Chrysler and BMW to follow?

I'm glad to see more manufacturers coming to the series. Now the other BS about Volvo is just that.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,872 Times in 2,737 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Whoa, that S60 shot is pretty awesome.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The COTF rules changed too much of the series.
    Fair enough that they dont need to be an Australian manufacturer anymore, BUT, they should have still had to be a car that has a production version which is a RWD V8 sedan.
    Hidden Content

My cars:
    1987 Holden VL Turbo - Hidden Content
    2004 Ford Falcon XLS Ute

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ZeeTwentyFour's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Pontiac GTO

What ARE the rules for V8 Supercar now? I don't think volvo has a production V8 anymore and the only time Nissan uses one is in their pickup... I can see Ford, Holden, Merc, BMW, and Chrysler all involved but volvo and Nissan don't exactly fit?
    Hidden Content
    Past GM vehicles:
    1993 Cavalier Z24 3.1

Current GM Vehicles:
    2005 GTO 6.0 M6 supercharged
    1999 Silverado Z71 5.3
    1966 Chevelle SS 502
    2000 Grand Am SE 2.4
    Hidden Content

Thanks

With the Yamaha sourced V8 long gone from the lineup and rumors of Volvo moving towards exclusively 4 cyl powerplants, all I have to say is 'does not compute.' Surprised they're not sticking with the five at least...

I often wonder what my car would've been like with the 4.4L V8. To think aftermarket exhausts would actually make the car sound better...
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden SS V 2008 Atomic Green

Calm down guys. Ford has spent plenty of time over the past twenty years NOT selling V8 Falcons!!! And COTF is no where near as removed from the previous chassis as Aych Es Vee would have us believe. Red vs Blue was great for 20 years but COTF pre-emptied the enevitable and may possibly save V8SCA. It's still as watchable, if not moreso, and there is more cash coming in to the category right when Ford and probably Holden are cutting theirs. Really, what's not to like about COTF/V8SCA.

FOR THE RECORD, I LAMENTED THE DEMISE OF TOURING CARS/GROUP A, AND ALL THE VARIANTS THAT CAME WITH IT (except those bloody cheating R34s).
    Last edited by Chop; 06-19-2013 at 12:46 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information