No Corvettes at Le Mans in 2009? Report Says Corvette Racing Will Not Attend

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Corvettes at Le Mans in 2009? Report Says Corvette Racing Will Not Attend

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Is it the end of an era, or just a rumor? Conflicting sources say that the Corvette Racing Team may or may not pull out of the 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans. Both agree, though, that the team isn't leaving motorsports... yet.

Autosport magazine is reporting in this week's issue that Chevrolet's Corvette Racing Team will not return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where it has won the GT1 class five times since entering in 2000. Autosport reports that Chevrolet has been told to cut its racing budget for 2009 and that the team has decided to skip the first half of the season in order to complete its new GT2 car, which will debut mid-season in the American Le Mans Series while the team prepares a new C6.R for the 2010 season. GM's racing boss, Steve Wesoloski, however, says no such decision has been made.

"We are still going ahead with our plans for a reduced program of Sebring, Long Beach and Le Mans," said Wesoloski. "No one has told me otherwise. We are, of course, prepared for all eventualities. It all hinges on what happens in Washington."

As Wesoloski points out, what happens in Washington in the next few weeks could directly affect the existence of Chevrolet and the Corvette Racing Team. While this report appears to be less than rock solid at the moment, we wouldn't be surprised to see the Corvettes drop the 2009 season -- just disappointed. They'd be joining a rapidly expanding club of factory-backed race teams that have dropped part or all of their 2009 season due to economic constraints. Should they drop, they'd be joining the ranks of Audi and Porsche, which pulled out of the American Le Mans Series, Honda, which pulled out of F1 and is selling its team, and Subaru and Suzuki, which have pulled out of the World Rally Championship.

We'll keep you updated as this story develops.

Source: Autosport

http://wot.motortrend.com/6391837/mo...end/index.html
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: No Corvettes at Le Mans in 2009? Report Says Corvette Racing Will Not Attend

With Audi, Porsche and possible Corvette out of the ALMS, there is no ALMS same as with no Subaru and Suzuki there is no WRC. Motorsports are on their death beds.

I don't follow Nascar, how are teams fairing in that series?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: No Corvettes at Le Mans in 2009? Report Says Corvette Racing Will Not Attend

I really hope that isn't true. There was nothing better than watching the Corvettes clean up European sports cars in Europe. Why can't they just dump NASCAR. They put way more money into it and then get a decal placed on the car to show for it.

But yeah all motorsports are in the dumpster right now and it's sad for ALMS, WRC etc because they're real racing series and as such they require support from OE's to place a product in the field. NASCAR is a spec-car series. They can do just fine without some decals on their "Car of Tomorrow." They are wholly dependent on getting good car sponsorships to place the product in the field. That is also harder to come by these days though too. The 09 season may see more unsponsored cars and a smaller field. I really don't care about NASCAR though. It's the aforementioned series I hate to see flounder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Unfortunate, but realistically GT1 was not a particularly competetive class and the Vettes haven't won since '06.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    Unfortunate, but realistically GT1 was not a particularly competetive class and the Vettes haven't won since '06.

Which is why the plan is/was to move to GT2 in ALMS, and maybe also in the 24hrs, not sure about the latter.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

That definitely sucks if its true, ALMS style racing is my favorite (Le Mans is among my favorite tracks of course), and there is no mistaking the thunder of the LS-V8 powered Corvettes among all those whiney euro engines

Personally, I'm as big of a muscle car fan as anybody, but I wouldn't have a problem if GM temporarily cut out of NASCAR and maintained all their road racing programs (maybe up the advertising a little to remind Americans that there are in fact racing series other than NASCAR).

Maybe it would even lead to more sports car racing in the U.S.

Thanks

How about reviving the LMP with the new V8 Turbo Diesel for Le Mans?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ViperDVMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Wow, at first I thought it was blasphemy that the Corvette Team would be dropping out. But Audi and Porsche as well? And Suzuki and Subaru in the WRC? What does that leave in that series, Mitsubishi? Skoda? Ford? (I think even a few Hyundai Accents race in that series too). And Honda pulling our of F1? Wow...... motorsports around the world is really dying. Even the holy NASCAR is dying, losing sponsors, ratings, and everything.

Motorsports might be dead by the time I'm 35 and along far enough in life to be attending large numbers of these events as well. That just sucks. I guess I'll have to go back to getting my racing kicks from Gran Turismo and my own car after I complete the engine swap.
    Y2V: Certified Car Nut

Current rides:
    '02 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr
    '14 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE
    '16 Indian Scout

Past rides:
    '94 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 (project car... sold)
    '02 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 2dr Custom (wrecked... may it RIP)
    '91 Pontiac Grand Am LE Custom

Hidden Content
    (banner made by ViperDVMan)

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    Corvette has won the GT1 class in ALMS many times since the C5 arrived on the scene......they have not won the 24 HRS. of LeMans itself since 2006. They have been second of up to 10 cars entered the last to years.
    They won the World FIA GT1 class this year as well as the World FIA GT3 championship against very strong competition. They have basically entered the best GT team in the world since 2001.
    The C6R/ZO6R is so good it has basically chased away the competition and forced a move to GT2.........hooray for our side. Don't belittle this success in any way.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
    They won the World FIA GT1 class this year as well as the World FIA GT3 championship against very strong competition. They have basically entered the best GT team in the world since 2001.
    The C6R/ZO6R is so good it has basically chased away the competition and forced a move to GT2.........hooray for our side. Don't belittle this success in any way.
    I'm not belittling anything, but there is no World FIA GT3 series, and the winner of the GT1 class is a Maserati MC12, same as in the last years.

Thanks

I hope it is just a rumor.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

I wish they would just chop Nascar off and focus on, uhm, real racing instead.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66's Avatar
    Cedar Rapids, IA (formerly sunny New Mexico (y muchacho lo falto))
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    I don't follow Nascar, how are teams fairing in that series?
    I work with a guy who races Nationwide and he says a quite a few NASCAR teams are cutting back.

Yea, I read on SPEED last week that Audi pulled out of the ALMS. Although I think Audi still plans to compete in Europe. Not sure if that is the P1 car or the Audi A4 GT3 car.

Not a good year to be a race fan. I'll have to see how the Rolex Series is doing?
    1979 Chevy Van
    1978 Pontiac Firebird
    1985 GMC S-15 Jimmy
    1992 Pontiac Grand Am
    1998 Oldmobile Intrigue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 P/U
    1979 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
    2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    2001 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab

"Sometimes you gotta say, 'What the *********'. "What the ********* gives you freedom, freedom creates opportunity, ... opportunity - makes your future." - 'Risky Business' 1983

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoeyHimself View Post
    I wish they would just chop Nascar off and focus on, uhm, real racing instead.
    Yeah, same here. The problem is that Nascar is basically advertising. The cars are rolling billboards driving past spectators for a few hours, while always in view. Not to mention the viewership of races is somehow much higher. Lot's of exposure.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Last I heard Doug Fehan says Corvette will compete at LeMans this year!
    Zipster Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2010 Silver ZR1
    07 Buick Lucerne CXL

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information