NASCAR: Stewart to be released from JGR contract

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR: Stewart to be released from JGR contract

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

NASCAR: Stewart to be released from JGR contract

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080709/car_n...ased.html?.v=1

Announcement on Stewart's future set for Wednesday, driver expected to be released from JGR

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- After 10 years and two championships, Tony Stewart appears set to end his relationship with Joe Gibbs Racing to pursue an opportunity to buy his own NASCAR team.
    Stewart's contract with JGR runs through 2009, but the team was expected to announce Wednesday that it will release him from his contract at the end of the season. Team owner Joe Gibbs has been trying to sign Stewart to an extension for almost a year, but the popular driver was slow to commit and eventually decided to explore free agency.

Numerous options were presented to Stewart, including buying the fledgling two-car team of Haas-CNC Racing and driving for other organizations. It gave Stewart options Gibbs couldn't match, and likely forced the team to grant him his release despite an initial unwillingness to do so.

Mike Arning, a spokesman for Stewart, said an announcement concerning Stewart's future would be made Wednesday. ESPN.com reported late Tuesday night he would be released from his contract.

"We're just going to look at everything out there," Stewart said in April in announcing he'd test the market. "A wise person once told me it doesn't cost a dime to listen, so right now we're all ears."

While exploring his options, Stewart was most intrigued in potential ownership opportunities -- and he's had an offer on the table since April to rejoin Chevrolet by buying Haas-CNC Racing. By owning a team, Stewart believes he could ensure a spot for himself in NASCAR long after his driving days.

But his contract with JGR stood in the way, and team officials had remained adamant that Stewart would drive the No. 20 through the 2009 season.

"We've got Tony signed through '08 and '09, and we want to go full bore and win a bunch of races and championships together," team president J.D. Gibbs said in April. "Our hope is that if you do that, then long term this will be the spot he chooses to retire. But the reality is we only control these next couple of years, and we went through this his last contract negotiations when he had a lot of options out there.

"Our hope is we do our job, and he retires here."

When it became clear Stewart wanted out, the Gibbs family finally relented and apparently was to sign off on his early departure Wednesday. The team is expected to replace the 37-year-old Stewart, one of NASCAR's most celebrated drivers, with 18-year-old phenom Joey Logano with Home Depot staying on board as the sponsor.

Stewart is in his 10th season with Gibbs, and he and crew chief Greg Zipadelli have the longest active driver-crew chief pairing. Zipadelli is not expected to leave JGR.

In their time together, they've racked up 32 Cup victories, the 1999 rookie of the year title and Cup championships in 2002 and 2005. Stewart has won at least two races a season through his first nine years.

He's been plagued by horrible luck this season and is so far winless. He had to get out of his car because of illness midway through Saturday night's race at Daytona International Raceway, a move many viewed as a sure sign Stewart was moving on. In 2005, Stewart got sick in his car but didn't relinquish the wheel and drove to the victory at Watkins Glen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: NASCAR: Stewart to be released from JGR contract

Yep, its a great day to be a Nascar fan!!
    2016 Silverado 2500HD High Country

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,584 Posts

Good for him. Back to Chevrolet.

Gibbs ought to be ashamed of himself promoting Toyota.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Fricken awesome, I knew I wouldn't stay mad at Tony for too long.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I love it!!! It would be AWESOME if Stweart joined Jr. over at Hendrick!! Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Tony Stewart would make one hell of a power house team!!!
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

Thanks

The award for least surprising Nascar silly season story of the season goes to...

I mean, seriously, Tony is a GM man through-and-through. What did Gibbs think would happen by forcing him into a different brand of car? But Gibbs doesn't need to worry, he's still got the most-hated driver in the sport in the M&M's car, and whats-his-face in the FedEx car. Two drivers that can win races, and that's all that matters, right? Having fans isn't necessary in Gibbs' eyes, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    I love it!!! It would be AWESOME if Stweart joined Jr. over at Hendrick!! Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Tony Stewart would make one hell of a power house team!!!
    Not happening. Mark Martin is already signed onto the 5 team next year, and owners are limited to 4 full-time teams, except Roush who was grandfathered in with 5 teams until the end of next season. At least with Stewart Haas Racing, they'll be getting Hendrick equipment.
    ...and besides, along with being a die-hard GM man, Tony is also a big Coca-Cola-backed driver... Hendrick is a Pepsi-backed owner. It just wouldn't work.
    Last edited by DiRF; 07-09-2008 at 02:22 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 637 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Don't hold your breath GMusa, I think Stewart wants ownership. Either way, he'll be back in a Chevy!

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 nascarnate326's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMusa View Post
    Jack Rouch should be looking out. The dream team is nearly assembled, and all sporting bow ties.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Can an owner still have 5 cars or did they change it to 4??
    Four. I noted Roush's situation in my first post.
    ...and like I said, with Hendrick being a Pepsi-backed owner, and already having signed Mark Martin for 2009, there's no way Tony could join Hendrick now.
    [edit] Woah, Smoke... your post... it like, disappeared?
    Last edited by DiRF; 07-09-2008 at 02:29 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Nelson Kyle K's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: NASCAR: Stewart to be released from JGR contract

This is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do all of the GMI Members know were he is going to get his engines,car bodies and chassis's. Thats right Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports) now Tony will have the same power that Dale Earnhardt JR #88 Jeff Gordon #24 Jimmie Johnson #48 and Mark Martin #5* Stewart/Haas racing will be a satellite team of Hendrick Motorsports. Now we don't have to see Tony driving that piece of s**t Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota Camry! Welcome Back to Chevrolet Tony

*Mark Martin will come back full time for two years 2009-2010 with Rick Hendrick replacing Casey Mears who is driving the 5 Car now.

1G6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member 1G6's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Gibbs ought to be ashamed of himself promoting Toyota.
    He ought to be deported, along with the Waltrips and all the rest in Daytona Beach who allowed this scourge in the first place.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

I am a Jr. / Stewart fan, it will e nice to have Stewart back with Chevy.

I will not buy anything associated with Toyota.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Buick Rendezvous /99 GMC

Very happy to hear Tony will be going back to Chevy. I was extremely disapointed when Gibbs went with Toyota,but I guess they decided to sell their soul for the right price.

Hope Tony and Chevy will be able to kick some Toyota butt in the near future!

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Kyle K View Post
    This is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do all of the GMI Members know were he is going to get his engines,car bodies and chassis's. Thats right Rick Hendrick (Hendrick Motorsports) now Tony will have the same power that Dale Earnhardt JR #88 Jeff Gordon #24 Jimmie Johnson #48 and Mark Martin #5* Stewart/Haas racing will be a satellite team of Hendrick Motorsports..
    Ya, but not the same power a Shrub

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jaywestfall's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 Chevrolet C1500/Green

Now if he could just talk Home Depot and Zippy into following him. That would be justice. How about a new name for JGR? Something along the lines of Benedict Arnold Racing?
    Member of The: I will never buy a Japanese car in my life Club
    Join our new grassroots Pontiac Resurrection Discussion @ Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information