Mustang for V8 Supercars? The push for 2-door coupe racers

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang for V8 Supercars? The push for 2-door coupe racers

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Mustang for V8 Supercars? The push for 2-door coupe racers

Mustang for V8 Supercars?

Bruce Newton
    26 May 2013
    www.carsales.com.au

Ford could have a future racing the iconic Mustang in the V8 Supercars championship if a proposal allowing two-door coupes to go head-to-head with the current four-door sedans gains support.

The idea, pitched by V8 Supercars board member and Red Bull Racing Australia and Triple Eight Race Engineering owner Roland Dane in a strategy paper late last year, has gained added impetus following Ford’s announcement that it will cease local manufacturing in October 2016 and kill off the iconic Falcon nameplate.

“The days of four-door medium and large saloons being main players in the market place have gone,” Dane told motoring.com.au. “So that’s what it [the paper] is really about.”

It is understood Dane’s proposal received only limited attention from the board at the time he presented it because of the amount of issues that have beset the category of late, culminating in the recent departure of CEO David Malone and his replacement with former TV executive James Warburton.

“Now we have got some stability back in there I am hoping it will get looked at properly,” said Dane. “But it has very much been in my mind for a long time.”

Dane’s thought process isn’t driven by the plight of Ford specifically, but of the decline of the global four-door sedan market and the end of the Australian automotive industry's ability to build stand-alone models.

The Falcon is going and the Holden Commodore VF will be replaced by a global model in 2017, most likely a front-wheel drive rival for the Toyota Camry and Aurion.

“People’s tastes and needs and whatever are changing,” Dane said. “But on the other hand there will always be the niche cars so we have to make ourselves open and flexible.

“I am saying have an open mind about two-door bodyshells. It is all about aspiration. Aspirational vehicles in the Australian market in the 1970s were actually two-door vehicles. Then they became derivatives of locally produced four-door Fords and Holdens.

“Now times are changing again. We have to have an open mind as to whether we go back to those two-door vehicles.”

Ford has already confirmed the next generation of its iconic Mustang, due for reveal in 2014, will be built in right-hand drive. Ford Australia has yet to say if it will be sold here. Dane argues it would be a logical car to race, especially now that V8 Supercars has adopted the ‘one size fits all’ Car of the Future chassis – another initiative he championed.

“If they wanted to race the Mustang here on the platform we have got today it would be easy to do,” he said.

Ford’s racing future beyond this year is unclear. Its contract with Ford Performance Racing is up for renewal. Over the last few seasons its V8 Supercars presence has dwindled to just six cars.

If his proposal is adopted Dane suggests Betty Klimenko’s Erebus Motorsport could race an E-class coupe if Mercedes-Benz made that request, or the Kelly brothers could move to a Skyline from the Altima.

Continue here

Falcon’s death notice casts doubt over Ford race program

Geoffrey Harris
    24 May 2013
    www.carpoint.com.au

The news that Ford will stop making cars in Australia in 2016 raises a big question over the Blue Oval’s future in V8 Supercar racing.

It had been a week to reflect on and contemplate three of the world’s biggest motor races this weekend – the Monaco Grand Prix, the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600 – and that Australia is so regularly represented in each of them now – and already had great success on the streets of Monte Carlo.

Then came the news that Ford will stop making cars in Australia in 2016, and the question that raises is the Blue Oval’s future in V8 Supercar racing.

Through this author’s eyes it is hard to see the factory giving any support beyond this year to the Falcon it is going to kill off.

Ford Performance Racing owners Rod Nash and Rusty French, who bought out David Richards’ Prodrive last summer but hold a contract with the factory expiring at the end of this year, appear to hold a forlorn hope that Ford may still find reason to be represented on the country’s racetracks.

Nash reckoned yesterday’s news “by no means signals an end to Ford in Australia, nor to the close relationship we have with the company”.

“We are proud to fly the Ford flag and look forward to doing so for years to come,” he said.

But how can Ford justify backing a race program after it lost $141 million in Australia last year, $600 million over the past five years, and is selling about 13 per cent the number of Falcons it did in the mid-1990s – when the V8 formula had been introduced but before it was branded V8 Supercars – while the Australian car market has grown 25 per cent in that time.

When sales have plummeted so steeply over the past 18 years, while Ford has been involved in what until this year was a straight fight with Holden’s Commodore, why would they improve in the coming years as the Falcon is phased out of production? Surely it is more likely those sales will shrink further, perhaps even faster.

Ford’s decision to stop building cars in Australian in 2016 was no surprise to anyone with the remotest attention on the situation, although the timing of the announcement was something of a shock.

Ford Australia chief Bob Graziano did not make any friends with the announcement and was vague on the sporting aspect, admittedly a lesser priority in the big scheme of things.

“No decision has been made on the motorsport program yet and we will work with our motorsport teams and work through that over the next three years,” Graziano said.

There are only six Falcons in the 28 “Car of the Future” field this year. All were built by FPR, which campaigns four of them, with the other two entered by the continually financially-embattled **** Johnson Racing.

Fifteen Australian touring car/V8 Supercar championships and 12 Bathurst 1000s have been won by Falcons, but none of them FPR Falcons.

DJR miraculously produced a national title in 2010, and remains an iconic name in the sport, but it is perennially on “life support” these days.

Long-time Ford team Stone Brothers Racing this year has been recast as Erebus Motorsport and is fielding three AMG Mercedes-Benz E63s, while Nissan has come in with four Altimas – still yet to be released as a road car in Oz.

Continue here

Last edited by JoeT; 05-27-2013 at 05:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: Mustang for V8 Supercars? The push for 2-door coupe racers

Simple answer to a lot of us - NO THANKS.
    Are Ford going to suddenly discover the thing that may have saved the Falcon - marketing the bloody thing!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,078 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

I think v8 super car racing is the best out there...much better than our NASCAR...

Nascar two door race cars are really four door sedans in production...

I'd like to see the next mustang be a super car v8 race car..

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

If Ford is throwing in the towel for the Falcon, but wants to continue in V8 SC, they'll have to find something. Would you prefer Mondeo stickers on the spec body of the race cars? Or would you prefer Mustang stickers? The Mustang is used in the NASCAR Nationwide series in the US (just under the big boys in Sprint Cup) & has been a very established face in more "production based" road racing in the US since it's 2005 redesign. The biggest point in favor of the Mondeo's racing history is that it is used in Europe for WTCC & BTCC, but that's in FWD, production car trim. It's just the body on top of the same chassis. Not too much harm there, is it? It could signal the possibility that Ford will sell production model Mustangs in Australia.
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,176 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

I would amend the rules to state: Only cars manufactured in Australia are eligible to race.

If Ford is pulling out of Australian manufacturing, then this will be another consequence of that decision.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Why not do a different V8 GT series of races? They could use HOPEFULLY production based Mustangs,Camaros,Challengers,M4's and so on!

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I think v8 super car racing is the best out there...much better than our NASCAR...

Nascar two door race cars are really four door sedans in production...

I'd like to see the next mustang be a super car v8 race car..

I agree the V8 Super Car series does bring some much needed excitement to the racing scene here versus Nascar which is rather boring and is basically one giant left turn unless your at Watkins Glen. Furthermore Nascars pitiful attempts at trying to be edgy as well as sticking to the same old wooden language have made me shift more and more of my viewing time to the Super V8 class as well as the Grand Am Rolex series.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

please no.......this isnt super "GT" racing. why not use the tauras?? like nissan uses the altima?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,399 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

I would expect the Taurus to go down under to "replace" Falcon in the line up and a V8 supercar based on the Taurus OR mundeo

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

To me, part of the allure is that they are 4 door family sedans turned racer. It is the foundation with which the modern category has evolved since 1992.
    To dothis would just be another nail in the coffin of large and now with Nissan midsizers too. I can live with the
    Altima being a FWD road car but couldn't strand to see a 2 door Mustang or even Camaro. Besides aren't these two pony cars to shrink in there next gen guises?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,141 Times in 2,646 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Falcon and Commodore will be with us for another three years and if you start
    allowing coupes like Mustang nd Camro in, where do you stop?

The fear was that the sport would begin to allow vehicles not actually sold in Australia
    to potentially dominate V8 supercars long before the demise of Falcon and Commodore.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    Why not do a different V8 GT series of races? They could use HOPEFULLY production based Mustangs,Camaros,Challengers,M4's and so on!
    There is such a series and has been for nearly forever in one form or another. Nobody watches it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

With the imminent death of the Falcon Ute and a possible culling of the Holden Ute (dependent on sales) for the next generatiopn. The V8 Ute series may need to consider one of two scenarios.
    1. Go COTF style space frame with production car front end to B pillar with a bespoke ute tub for each model.
    2. Migrate over to the two door Mustang/ Camaro etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguy View Post
    Last edited by Commodoreman2000; 05-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,597 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Screw that

V8SC is 4 door sedan cars on steroids and should continue to be

Just a wanker looking for a reason to get Mustang into the series

They don't want to be like Nissan and have a car that's a FWD POS as a road car but suddenly has a RWD 5.0 in it as a race car

Here's a tip Ford

Build a RWD sedan and then use that in V8SC

Oh wait......
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Screw that

V8SC is 4 door sedan cars on steroids and should continue to be

Just a wanker looking for a reason to get Mustang into the series

They don't want to be like Nissan and have a car that's a FWD POS as a road car but suddenly has a RWD 5.0 in it as a race car

Here's a tip Ford

Build a RWD sedan and then use that in V8SC

Oh wait......
    Auto Action has a couple snaps of a Taurus just unloaded at Sydney Airport........... Interesting timing I think not.

https://www.facebook.com/AutoActionMagazine?fref=ts

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information