Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 83

Thread: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne (no, not that one!)
    Posts
    8,595
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 952 Times in 625 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

    Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Move over Nascar! Here come the Aussie V8s !
    Jez Spinks
    June 28, 2011 - 5:32PM Drive.com



    Speculation is firming that V8 Supercars will burn fuel in United States’ famous oil state of Texas. Australia’s V8 Supercar series is heading for the land of 10-gallon hats and JR Ewing.

    The local touring car championship is believed to be on the verge of announcing it will race in Texas – the US state made famous by the 1980s television oil drama Dallas.

    The Holden and Ford teams will race at an all-new race track in Texas’s capital, Austin, called the Circuit of the Americas. The venue is already confirmed as the stage for a Formula One United States Grand Prix from 2012 and a round of MotoGP bike races from 2013.

    V8 Supercars boss Tony Cochrane has made no secret of his desire to expand the series’ appeal beyond Australia. In recent years there have been rounds held in the Middle East and China, in addition to closer neighbour New Zealand.
    Drive.com article continues here

    (Oh dear!)

    Look forward to action like this:
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 06-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia. U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,441
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    I wish them luck but I really don't know how it would succeed financially without coupling itself to a race weekend with another series, at least at first.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

    "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

  4. #3
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2,461
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Well Qantas is now flying direct to Dallas/Fort Worth (the cars wouldn't) so you could see two sponsors (they are partnered with American Airlines) who might get on board for sponsorship of a race in Austin.

    They would definately need to get some extra support as I just don't see them selling enough tickets & a high enough price to make it worthwhile. They already link with the F1 in Melbourne and they used to link up with the (hmmm) IndyCar series (?) when they ran at Surfers Paradise in Queensland so they have tie ins with other racing groups already. A link with NASCAR would be good as they could cross sell Marcos Ambrose and maybe people like Tony Stewart if they were allowed/willing to race.

    If GM does bring a Commodore over here (not the Caprice cop car) then they might also rebadge the Holden's as Chevy's as this has been done on some cars in the Middle East when they race there as Chevy is the local brand.
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia. U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,441
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by jbernie View Post
    Well Qantas is now flying direct to Dallas/Fort Worth (the cars wouldn't) so you could see two sponsors (they are partnered with American Airlines) who might get on board for sponsorship of a race in Austin.

    They would definately need to get some extra support as I just don't see them selling enough tickets & a high enough price to make it worthwhile. They already link with the F1 in Melbourne and they used to link up with the (hmmm) IndyCar series (?) when they ran at Surfers Paradise in Queensland so they have tie ins with other racing groups already. A link with NASCAR would be good as they could cross sell Marcos Ambrose and maybe people like Tony Stewart if they were allowed/willing to race.

    If GM does bring a Commodore over here (not the Caprice cop car) then they might also rebadge the Holden's as Chevy's as this has been done on some cars in the Middle East when they race there as Chevy is the local brand.
    Hmm, yeah, if they've rebadged it as Chevrolet in other places (I didn't know that,) then it would make sense to do it in Texas. Not to do that would be... dumb.

    A partnership with NASCAR would be awesome! I'd love to see Tony Stewart tear it up in the V8s... Or Kyle Busch. That could be so epic.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

    "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

  7. #5
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Office of The Burnout Czar
    Posts
    1,466
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 76 Times in 41 Posts

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by Suziebob View Post
    Hmm, yeah, if they've rebadged it as Chevrolet in other places (I didn't know that,) then it would make sense to do it in Texas. Not to do that would be... dumb.

    A partnership with NASCAR would be awesome! I'd love to see Tony Stewart tear it up in the V8s... Or Kyle Busch. That could be so epic.
    Why should they rebadge it as a Chevrolet? It's called Australian V8 super cars for a reason. They sell the Lumina/Commodore in the middle east and yet when they raced there Holden ran Commodores.

    I don't see a partnership with NASCAR working as this would be a direct competitor to NASCAR because it so similar and also because any other form of motorsport is a competitor to NASCAR. Look for NASCAR to do their best to make sure this fails.....
    From the office of the Burnout Czar.

  8. #6
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia. U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,441
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by jbernie View Post
    If GM does bring a Commodore over here (not the Caprice cop car) then they might also rebadge the Holden's as Chevy's as this has been done on some cars in the Middle East when they race there as Chevy is the local brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnout Czar View Post
    Why should they rebadge it as a Chevrolet? It's called Australian V8 super cars for a reason. They sell the Lumina/Commodore in the middle east and yet when they raced there Holden ran Commodores.

    I don't see a partnership with NASCAR working as this would be a direct competitor to NASCAR because it so similar and also because any other form of motorsport is a competitor to NASCAR. Look for NASCAR to do their best to make sure this fails.....
    One of y'all needs to figure your **** out. I was just going off what he said. Like I said, I didn't know about that either way.

    But the primary reason of racing is advertising and brand awareness. They don't sell Holden's in the U.S. It's not a big deal either way, but they definitely need all the help they can get in getting ticket sales up.

    If NASCAR wants it to fail, it will fail. But I don't think they do. I don't think there's that much of a threat from it. It would probably be better served with F1 or IRL though. NASCAR would just be too cool.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

    "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

  9. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,793
    Thanks
    6,505
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Like to see them run at California Speedway (there is a road course portion), maybe it will get Ford to offer a "Falcon" in the U.S. and force GM to get off their butts and make a decision on the Commodore.

    At least they still run "stock" cars (with engine/chassis and race safety changes) which is more than I can say about NASCAR.

  10. #8
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Brenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bendigo Australia
    Posts
    449
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 28 Times in 14 Posts
    My Ride
    Holden Ute, 73 Caprice Convert

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by Suziebob View Post
    I wish them luck but I really don't know how it would succeed financially without coupling itself to a race weekend with another series, at least at first.
    Your right there, in Oz they team up F1 and Indy (at the time) with the V8's to pull the crowds in to those events, so the opposite would have to happen over there.

  11. #9
    GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    20,844
    Thanks
    391
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by SierraGS View Post
    Like to see them run at California Speedway (there is a road course portion), maybe it will get Ford to offer a "Falcon" in the U.S. and force GM to get off their butts and make a decision on the Commodore.

    At least they still run "stock" cars (with engine/chassis and race safety changes) which is more than I can say about NASCAR.
    Actually I believe both the Falcon and Commodore in V8 Supercars have modifications to the body. IE, the Commodore's rear door is shortened substantially.

    That being said, at least both look like the cars they're meant to represent.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

  12. #10
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia. U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,441
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    That being said, at least both look like the cars they're meant to represent.
    That's about it.

    Please tell me where I can buy a 650 horsepower Commodore with a roll cage and no seats.

    I do give them credit for actually looking cool, though.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

    "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

  13. #11
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne (no, not that one!)
    Posts
    8,595
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 952 Times in 625 Posts
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    In Bahrain, certain of the official teams run with Chev Lumina badging for obvious reasons. Holden and HSV actually have a lot of recognition - some Arab enthusiasts - guess what? - swap out the Chev badges for Holden lions! Like some GTO guys converted their cars back to 'Monaros' - the only LHD Monaros in the world apart from the one presented to Peter Hanenberger when he retired back to Germany. (M-E Chevs were sold as Chev Lumina Coupes I think).



    In China, some of the official team cars run Buick badging in cross-promotion of the somewhat similar-looking Park Avenue:



    It only makes sense. Now that the Commodore is scheduled to return as a Chevrolet SS, if they make it to Texas, guess why you'll see Supercar V8s with bowties (that, and the Caprice PPV)?

    V8 Supercars is owned by the major teams - which means by Ford and Holden largely. They take cross-promotion to a new cut-throat level. Because Holden is into E85 with Coskata, the official fuel changed from Shell Ultimate 96 to E85 in 2009 - sponsored by Commenwealth Sugar Refineries!

    If Ford has a special promotion, or Holden has a special promotion even if there's no value to the other brand, you will see the whole series change because they both know the intrinsic value to them. It's a great example of co-operation because everyone involved wants it to succeed.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 06-28-2011 at 11:04 PM.

  14. #12
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 hiluxxulih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,063
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 150 Times in 81 Posts

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    One question are these real actual cars or fake crap cars like NASCAR ?
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 RCLB , 4.3 liter v6 5 speed .
    1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe 4x2 long bed 5 liter auto .

  15. #13
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    12,485
    Thanks
    644
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,606 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by hiluxxulih View Post
    One question are these real actual cars or fake crap cars like NASCAR ?
    For the moment they are heavily modified Holden and Ford chassis

    THey are built to weight and size constraints along with power and gearbox diff and even share the same live axle

    When the car of the future hits they will have virtually nothing in common with the road cars bar that they look like them

  16. #14
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wagga NSW
    Posts
    12,485
    Thanks
    644
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,606 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by Suziebob View Post
    I wish them luck but I really don't know how it would succeed financially without coupling itself to a race weekend with another series, at least at first.
    I dont think V8SC will care so much how many people show up to the eveant rather that they get good TV ratings at home - they race to empty stadiums in the ME and China and rake in the cash given to them to race there

  17. #15
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia. U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,441
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    re: Move over NASCAR! Here come the Aussie V8 Supercars!

    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I dont think V8SC will care so much how many people show up to the eveant rather that they get good TV ratings at home - they race to empty stadiums in the ME and China and rake in the cash given to them to race there
    I've got to think they want to have at least a FEW people at the event. I mean, especially in a place like Texas that LOVES its racing like this. But you're probably right. I don't think they want to take on the established motorsports of North America just yet.

    It'll be cool, though. I wonder if tickets will be cheap, then? I've been trying to get some buddies into a road trip to Talladega. If I can get them there, Texas probably wouldn't be much harder.
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

    "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2