Manufacturers give F1 their orders!!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Manufacturers give F1 their orders!!

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Manufacturers give F1 their orders!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpoint.com.au
    Manufacturers quit F1

Carpoint.com.au

June 2009

As reported in our motorsport wrap earlier today (more here), Formula One is in turmoil with talk of the formation of a breakaway championship.

The Formula One Teams Association statement, issued yesterday, was on behalf of the BMW-Sauber, BrawnGP, Scuderia Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, Red Bull Racing, Renault, Scuderia Toro Rosso and Toyota teams.

According to FOTA the teams are not prepared to reduce costs under the FIA's proposed changes for next season, at the risk of lessening technical advances and expertise. Below is FOTA's statement in full.

FOTA UNITED ON THE FUTURE
    Since the formation of FOTA last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder, to develop and improve the sport.

Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community. FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.

In particular the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

Following these efforts all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.

The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA.

The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006. Despite this and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise.

It has become clear however, that the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 World Championship.

These teams therefore have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new Championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.
    More at the link at the start of the Story.

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: Manufacturers give F1 their orders!!

They mustn't have shareholders. I think the limit may be a little low but surely in difficult economic times even extravagance needs to be tempered.
    Maybe if people stopped buying Red Bull then at least one attitude would change.

Thanks

Good.

Formula 1 should always be the best of the best. No cost-cutting measures. No debilitating rules. Nothing. Race what you brought and that is that. The fastest wins. Stop slowing the cars down in the sake of "racing." Racing is fastest wins, not some stupid strategy and chess-like game.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC triadecho's Avatar
    Thanks

Watching the British GP yesterday, I was thinking that the F1 rules have produced some of the strangest looking, most fragile cars ever. What are "the fundamental values of the sport"? Can anybody identify with what they are doing anymore?
    The only positive development is the emergence of some new faces and new teams in the winners circle.
    My cars:
    1953 Hudson Super-Jet
    1964 Lotus Cortina
    1971 Corvette 454 convertible
    1999 Suburban
    2001 Echo
    2005 Impala

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC BurninrubberGT's Avatar
    Thanks

2004 Pontiac GTO m6
    Proven On National Track In Annihilating Competition

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    They mustn't have shareholders. I think the limit may be a little low but surely in difficult economic times even extravagance needs to be tempered.
    Maybe if people stopped buying Red Bull then at least one attitude would change.
    Why would that be the case? That's like saying GM should get out of NASCAR. This is HUGE news, and unfortunately a long time coming. Bernie E. has been fleecing the other parties of F1 for a bit too long, and now the rug is being pulled out from underneath him.
    Current Vehicles:
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha
    2004 Acura TSX
    1989 Jeep Cherokee

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by OutBurst View Post
    Good.

Formula 1 should always be the best of the best. No cost-cutting measures. No debilitating rules. Nothing. Race what you brought and that is that. The fastest wins. Stop slowing the cars down in the sake of "racing." Racing is fastest wins, not some stupid strategy and chess-like game.
    Ironically, the fastest cars kill racing and create the chess-like strategy that you (and many other motorsport viewers) despise.

This years rule changes were aimed at trying to create more racing, through creation of cleaner air from the leading car. That is why the rear wings were raised and narrowed. I've only really been paying attention to F1 for the last 3 years, but it seems like even with the introduction of KERS, they are still stuck with minimal passing and the same scenario they had in Schummies era. Only the names of the dominant teams have changed.

The leader board is pretty conclusive at the moment, with Jenson Button well ahead of the 2 Redbulls, then the second Brawn, with everyone else flapping about down the bottom. It is still entertaining for analytical nutjobs like myself, and not just for the sheer speed, but I can see why many people are getting tired of it. I still prefer club racing and tarmac rallies though.

P.S. Sorry about that, BurningrubberGT. I always forget to check discussion
    Last edited by mikmak; 06-22-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Not surprising, Bernie and Max had been basically been letting the patients run the asylum turning F1 into a boring half a billion a year per manufacturer parade where the WDC was a joke because of how little the driver factored in with the cars being one step from having an auto pilot and being too fast for the courses. When they tried to put their foot down, the spoiled teams revolted. There should have been restrictions 15-20 years ago with more added gradually if needed. Maybe this wouldn't have happened and maybe they wouldn't have completely lost the U.S. audience.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

Maybe they should put a cost cap on the cars.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

That's one of the things that they're trying, but the teams are used to basically not having any kind of rules.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote Originally Posted by OutBurst View Post
    Good.

should f1 be technology for technology's sake (only the super rich need apply), or technology for practical purposes...like improving emissions, safety, and efficiency of road-going cars?

f1 cars basically have no suspension. they have to be super stiff to minimize pitch and keep aero balance. so where's the suspension innovation? suspensioon supports the most important thing - the tires. they had active suspension for a while and it was banned.

further, they use aero tricks to upset any car in their wake...that's why passing is so difficult atm. none of the aero will ever reach production.

f1 is irrelevant...like nascar. it has super high barriers to enter, and good ideas get lost due to lack of finances.

if you want an unregulated, super car racing venue, watch can-am.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I finally thought F1 was doing the right thing by trying to reduce costs and make for the slightest bit watchable racing. But the manufacturers don't like it? LMAO. Good. Go. F1 is the biggest joke of a racing series on earth. It's just fast cars driving really fast. I'll miss looking at those cars, but that's it.
    Last edited by 2648562; 06-22-2009 at 11:38 AM.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information