Lotus returns to F1 thanks to new partnership with Genii Capital

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Lotus returns to F1 thanks to new partnership with Genii Capital

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Lotus returns to F1 thanks to new partnership with Genii Capital

Lotus Returns to Formula 1
    Group Lotus, Renault and Genii unite to create new F1 team
    www.gminsidenews.com
    December 8th,2010
    By: Carl Malek

Group Lotus and Genii Capital rocked the Formula 1 world today by announcing that they have agreed to a new partnership, which will mark the return of Lotus to Formula 1 racing. Forming as a result of Renault selling their stake in their F1 team to Genii which in turn gave a majority stake to Group Lotus, the new team now known as Lotus Renault GP will retain the use of Renault racing engines but will sport brand new livery sporting the trademark black and gold of past Lotus racers. The team has released a image of what the car could look like with the new livery in place when the team begins operations next season. The final driving lineup for the new team has not been finalized as of yet, but Polish racer Robert Kubica has been confirmed as one of the drivers the team will use. Kubica had a very productive 2010 season while at Renault F1 earning a second place spot in Australia and a pair of third place spots in Monaco. Kubica also finished above 7 time world champion Michael Schumacher in the points race besting the legend by a staggering 64 points. With the new season kicking off in Bahrain on March 13th, will this new partnership rekindle the spirit of Lotus's past racing successes? or will it be all for nothing? Only time will tell especially in Formula 1

Full Press Release Here

Group Lotus plc and Genii Capital are pleased to announce a partnership which will see the Renault F1 Team renamed as ‘Lotus Renault GP’ from the start of the 2011 racing season onwards. The association heralds the return of a highly successful Formula 1™ association between Lotus and Renault from the 1980s. Lotus’ racing pedigree and heritage coupled with Renault’s technology in Formula 1™ will set the united team on a path to future success.

Group Lotus plc will acquire a major equity stake in the team from Genii Capital. The transaction represents a partnership between Group Lotus and Genii Capital and signifies the beginning of a more comprehensive strategic alliance between the two organisations.

The partnership between Lotus and Genii brings the ability to quickly incorporate new technologies from F1™ cars into Lotus road cars including hybrid technology, Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems (KERS), aero advancements and lightweight materials. Genii, an investment holding company with a portfolio of automotive technologies, bring non-F1™ technologies such as lightweight braking systems, variable compression engine technology and on board software systems to the partnership.

Group Lotus CEO Dany Bahar said: “I can think of no better platform for automotive brand communications than motorsport and F1™. We’re well aware that there has been a lot of controversy around the usage of our brand in F1™ and I’m delighted to be able to formally clarify our position: We are Lotus, and we are back.”

Dato' Sri Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, Chairman of Proton, Lotus majority shareholder, said: "We know that Group Lotus has much to offer Formula 1™ and vice versa. After careful consideration, we believe this arrangement will be fruitful, both from a commercial and marketing point of view."

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Proton advisor and former Prime Minister of Malaysia, said: "This is an exciting development which delivers strategic benefits to both Group Lotus and Proton. I fully support the partnership."

Carlos Ghosn, Chairman and CEO of Renault, commented: “This multi-partner alliance will bring a new dynamic to the team and enable it to compete with the sport’s best from next season.”

In addition to this, Genii is also offering Proton the ability to leverage on its existing business relationships in Russia and other parts of the world, as a means to expand Proton's global reach. Through Genii, Proton can also potentially access advanced automotive technologies by virtue of Genii’s association with Mangrove, a venture capital group.

Gerard Lopez, founding partner of Genii Capital, said: “For Group Lotus, access to Formula 1™ opens up new marketing opportunities and a major platform for business exchanges and development. In this regard, Genii Capital possesses shareholdings in, and direct access to, cutting edge companies in the automotive industry. Our tie-up with Group Lotus and Proton, which will enable its future road car ranges to take advantage of significant new technologies, is a natural step.”
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 12-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Re: Lotus returns to F1 thanks to new partnership with Genii Capital

There have been a lot of stand out efforts by the drivers in 2010, but the best cars won. Seriously the Red Bulls have had it for most of the season. Even with both drivers crashing out or retiring through engine trouble 7 times, they still pulled off the manufacturers championship. Of course they are powered by Renault too so......
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

true but i can't wait to see the reborn black and gold livery that will be used. I liked it on the original cars and hopefully the new colors will continue that trend when they appear on a physical racer
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

Wow, some breathtaking news here! I await wiith great anticipation the prospect of seeing Loti embossed in black and gold, evoking the old JPS livery.

Hopefully the new partnership will be able to give Mr. Kubica a car worthy of his talents. The '10 Renault, though a consistent points-scorer, was never a winner, though to his credit this did not once dampen Mr. Kubica's enthusiasm for the task at hand. He certainly wrung all he could out of inferior equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Seriously the Red Bulls have had it for most of the season.
    No doubt, it wasn't even a fair fight. For the most part Webber and Vettel were just cruising around with plenty of pace in reserve. Lets hope Red Bull gets some serious competition next year.
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Webber had a fractured shoulder for the last four races evidently.
    Do John Player Specials still come in a black and gold pack?
    Last edited by chinamonty; 12-12-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Thanks

So is there going to be 2 competing Lotus teams/4 cars on the grid?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ne-season.html

I'll await the Bahar vs. Fernandes court proceedings.
    Last edited by m100; 12-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

One team should be in the traditional green and gold of lotus. Neither should have the colours of a cigarettes company

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    One team should be in the traditional green and gold of lotus. Neither should have the colours of a cigarettes company
    Either way. Nothing happens 'til Bernie gets paid.
    Old friends long gone
    Camaro '69 SS, '74, '79 Z-28, '81 Z-28, '88 IROC, '91 Z-28, '98 Z-28.
    Monte Carlo '74, '77, '81

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information