Juan Pablo Montoya Holds Off Will Power By Narrowest Of Margins To Win 2015 Indy 500

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juan Pablo Montoya Holds Off Will Power By Narrowest Of Margins To Win 2015 Indy 500

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Juan Pablo Montoya Holds Off Will Power By Narrowest Of Margins To Win 2015 Indy 500

In a thrilling dogfight that occured in the closing laps of the 2015 Indy 500, Juan Pablo Montoya, Scott Dixon, and Will Power were in a heated three way battle for 1st place. But in the end Montoya managed to hold off Will Power by a mere 0.146 of a second to claim victory at Indianapolis Motor Speedway while also helping to secure a 1-4 showing for Team Chevrolet at the iconic racing circuit setting the stage for next weekends Detroit Grand Prix.

More Below:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/05/...-500-Mile-Race
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMfan1111 For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (05-24-2015),donmateo (05-24-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

Re: Juan Pablo Montoya Holds Off Will Power By Narrowest Of Margins To Win 2015 Indy

Talked about this briefly in the NASCAR thread:

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ml#post5103961

Really great performance and well-deserved win after his return to Indy. Coming all the way from 30 to 1 is impressive.

Now on to the Coca Cola 600
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Re: Juan Pablo Montoya Holds Off Will Power By Narrowest Of Margins To Win 2015 Indy

As well as Belle Isle Will be there Friday Saturday And Sunday live so pumped )))))
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

As usual Chevrolet gets nothing not even a mention in the story. Penske is the car, not Chevrolet

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    As usual Chevrolet gets nothing not even a mention in the story. Penske is the car, not Chevrolet
    Juan Pablo Montoya often has said that his three Team Penske teammates pose the most formidable competition in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
    In the closing laps of the 99th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, that proved to be the case.

Montoya, who won the race 15 years earlier in his first start, held off reigning Verizon IndyCar Series champion and teammate Will Power by .1046 of a second -- the fourth-closest finish in race history -- in a thrilling battle over the final 15 laps that also included pole sitter and 2008 race winner Scott Dixon. Five of the 37 lead changes occurred in those 15 laps following a restart, with Montoya overtaking Dixon in Turn 1 for second place and Power in Turn 4 to lead Lap 197 by .0420 of a second.

"It was awesome," said Montoya, 39, of Colombia, after placing the winner's wreath around his neck and letting the milk dribble down his chin. "This is what racing in Indy car is all about, racing down to the wire. These guys, Team Penske, did an amazing job. I had the feeling that I had a really good car, but that fight at the end was really, really hard. All the way down to the wire. This is pretty awesome.”

The victory extended Roger Penske's record of Indy 500 victories to 16, and Montoya is the 11th different winner for Team Penske.

"You give that guy the bit and put it in his mouth and he doesn’t give up," said Penske, the race strategist for three-time Indy 500 winner Helio Castroneves. "It’s a great day for Team Penske. I knew we had two up there, but the worry was Dixon and the 83 (Charlie Kimball). At the end of the day, they played fair. Good passing and we won the race.”

Montoya finished fifth last May in his return to the Indy 500 after a 13-year absence in which he won races in Formula One and NASCAR competition, and he is the first multiple winner in six races this season. He won the opener on the streets of St. Petersburg, Fla., and extended his points lead over Power to 25 heading into the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans doubleheader May 30-31.

Montoya, who started 15th in the No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet, fell to 30th early in the race after being hit from behind while under caution, which necessitated a pit stop to change out the rear wing assembly. He then overshot his pit box on Lap 95, which cost precious seconds. Montoya worked his way up to third by Lap 102 and remained in the top five to challenge for the win.

Power was two-tenths of a second behind Montoya entering the white flag lap, but couldn't make a dramatic last-turn pass.

"I just had too much push when he got by," Power said. "I had to lift on that last lap.He was definitely better when he got behind me. That's why he got the run. Anywhere else I'd be happy with second. But here ...

"It was a great month overall -- first, first and second, second."

Power won the Angie's List Grand Prix of Indianapolis on May 9 from the pole and started second on the oval in the No. 1 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet.

Kimball was .7950 of a second back in third -- a career best in five Indy 500 starts -- after starting 14th in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet. Dixon, who led a field-high 84 laps, was 1.0292 seconds arrears in fourth place in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet. Graham Rahal, who started 17th in the No. 15 Steak 'n Shake Honda for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, finished fifth.

“I think we generally had a pretty good restart there," Dixon said. "I was just trying to pace it. When I really needed to go, I just couldn’t turn the car. We were fighting a little bit with the car overheating, so we were trying to go over different ignition maps. There was definitely a lot going on. As the laps were counting down I was trying to make something happen.

"I’m real proud of the Team Target guys. They did a good job all month but unfortunately we came away with fourth.”

Marco Andretti, Castroneves, JR Hildebrand, Josef Newgarden and front-row starter Simon Pagenaud completed the top 10 that includes five Americans on this Memorial Day weekend.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Footnotes at the end. You'd think he walked to victory with Roger Penske

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

It was quite the race, complete with a huge crash near the end.

Cort www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
    1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
    "Got my pedal to the metal" __ Sheryl Crow __ 'Real Gone'

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

it was a great race, I just hate that its always on Tape delay here in INDY, I guess they want to make you go to the race, but for me auto racing is more exciting to watch on TV, its weird because on the other hand Baseball is boring on TV, but great in person.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

I wonder if Juan Pablo is comfortable in an open wheel car yet? He should never ever have gone to f1 and NASCAR did serious damage to the number of wins he would've had. But there was no money in cart at the time and I understand why he did it.

Thanks
    My Ride

Footnotes at the end. You'd think he walked to victory with Roger Penske
    Roger Penske is the team owner. They typically thank the team owner more so than the manufacture in motorsports.

Previous:
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGinNC View Post
    Roger Penske is the team owner. They typically thank the team owner more so than the manufacture in motorsports.
    Whats the point of Chevrolet being involved if they are just not getting the credit from it? If you watch F1, the auto manufacturers get the pride of place.

Thanks
    My Ride

Whats the point of Chevrolet being involved if they are just not getting the credit from it? If you watch F1, the auto manufacturers get the pride of place.
    Aren't most of the F1 teams also run by the manufactures, not an independent owner?

They mentioned Chevrolet's dominance a bunch on Television, JPM has a great big Chevrolet bowtie on his drivers suit and the car itself. The point of Chevrolet and all the other manufactures being involved in racing is for advertising. Chevy doesn't build the car, they supply engines and technical expertise, but Penske puts the vehicles together.

Previous:
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGinNC View Post
    Aren't most of the F1 teams also run by the manufactures, not an independent owner?

They mentioned Chevrolet's dominance a bunch on Television, JPM has a great big Chevrolet bowtie on his drivers suit and the car itself. The point of Chevrolet and all the other manufactures being involved in racing is for advertising. Chevy doesn't build the car, they supply engines and technical expertise, but Penske puts the vehicles together.

I get all that. the issue is if this is worth it for Chevrolet or Honda.

Thanks
    My Ride

I get all that. the issue is if this is worth it for Chevrolet or Honda.
    Obviously GM thinks it is. They left CART/IRL in the early 00's, but decided to come back a few years ago (2011, I believe).

Previous:
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Evinrude 35

Ilmore develops the engines, Chevy pays the bills, Penske puts it all together with the team to put it on the track. The engine is no more Chevy than the Cosworth Fords were Fords. At least the original Ford Indy V8 program began with a block from a Ford engine. But it too was eventually replaced by the Cosworth in CART.

I had the 500 on with the sound turned down while I watched REAL American racing on FansChoice. The Springfield Mile. It was superb.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information