Johnny O' Connell Clinches Third Consecutive Belle Isle Win

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny O' Connell Clinches Third Consecutive Belle Isle Win

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

O'Connell secures impressive threepeat performance in another strong showing for Team Cadillac.
    www.gminsidenews.com
    June 1, 2013
    By: Carl Malek

In a thrilling sequel to the brands strong showing at last years V-Series World Challenge Race at the Detroit Chevrolet Belle Isle Grand Prix, Team Cadillac once again posted a strong showing for 2013 by securing 1st and 3rd place during the first half of World Challenge Racing Series action earlier today at Belle Isle. In the process, Team Cadillac also posted an impressive three peat with Johnny O'Connell posting his third consecutive win at the Belle Isle circuit with teammate Andy Pilgrim taking third place. Meanwhile, second place went to K-Pax racing driver Randy Pobst who put up a courageous effort despite having a slight weight disadvantage versus his Cadillac competitors due to his Volvo's heavier AWD system. With round one going to Cadillac, can GM's luxury brand once again reign supreme over the Belle Isle Circuit for the second consecutive year or will its formidable competition foil its plan for supremacy? Stay tuned to GMI tomorrow to find out the answer as well as continuing live coverage of the 2013 Detroit Chevrolet Belle Isle Grand Prix.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 06-01-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Re: Johnny O' Connell Clinches Third Consecutive Belle Isle Win

Congratulations Johnny!

He is a great guy, really enjoyed talking with him at the CTS-V Academy event at Stone Mountain.

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Very nice! I met Johnny at an event last year as well, definitely a nice guy.

Congratulations team Cadillac!
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of... good question.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Angelelli, Taylor Secure Belle Isle Win Clinch Lead In DP Class Points

Angelelli, Taylor Secure Belle Isle Win Clinch Lead In DP Class Points
    Angelelli, Taylor post strong showing in thrilling GRAND-AM 200 victory
    www.gminsidenews.com
    June 1, 2013

In a thrilling race that featured its fair share of crashes and caution flags, Max Angelelli and Jordan Taylor teamed up to take the checkered flag at the Rolex GRAND-AM 200 In Belle Isle earlier today. Their victory also helped the duo secure the overall points lead in the Daytona Prototype class. The tricky turns and varying types of pavement on the Belle Isle race course would quickly claim their first set of victims during the first few minutes of racing when a nasty collision served to not only eliminate the BMW/Riley piloted by previous point leader Menjo Romas, but also the Ford/Riley driven by John Pew and Michael Valiante which proved to be a key shift in race action that would later prove to be beneficial to Angelelli and Taylor when all was said and done.

In addition to Angelelli and Taylor's victory in the DP Class, Robin Liddell and Jason Taylor also scored a victory in the equally intense GT Class portion of the event after triumphing in a long and tenacious duel that pitted their Stevenson Auto Group Camaro race car against a pair of formidable Ferrari 458 Italias the first being driven by Max Papis and Jeff Segal and the second by Alessandro Balzan and Jeff Westphal on the twists and turns of Belle Isle. In the end the team of Liddell and Taylor was able to outmaneuver their formidable Italian opponents and secure the pair's third consecutive GT Class victory.

Last edited by GMfan1111; 06-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Enclave 2008 Cocoa Metallic

Re: Angelelli, Taylor Secure Belle Isle Win Clinch Lead In DP Class Points

Is it just me or does that really say Shinola Winners Circle at the top there, glad they got that instead of the alternative.

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Looks like a great day for GM's Racing programs!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBryant View Post
    Is it just me or does that really say Shinola Winners Circle at the top there, glad they got that instead of the alternative.
    The alternative?
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of... good question.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Conway Secures Dominating Belle Isle Victory

Conway Secures Dominating Belle Isle Victory
    Underdog Conway dominates field and wins big in Belle Isle
    www.gminsidenews.com
    June 1, 2013

Before taking the checkered flag in the first race of the Chevrolet Indy Dual In Detroit Series earlier today, Mike Conway was considered by many to be a big underdog that had alot to prove. Conways last victory was at the 2011 Long Beach Grand Prix before leaving the Series last season due to two serious crashes at Indianapolis Motor Speedway that made him uncomfortable driving and competing on high speed oval tracks. However, the 29 year old Englishman's talent for tackling road courses proved to be a useful skill in Lap 44 of the race when he overtook Ryan Hunter-Rey in turn 3 to clinch 1st place before proceeding to create a 20 second gap between himself and the rest of the field before the final round of pit stops took effect and later beating Hunter-Rey by a whopping 12 seconds on the last lap to secure victory.

The race however, was not without its fair share of drama. Scott Dixon winner of last years Grand Prix, dropped to 24th place after a Lap 1 crash involving AJ Allmendinger damaged the rear wing of his car before later recovering and ending the day in fourth place. Sebastian Saavedra also had a tough day on the course, being forced out later in the race after contact with Marco Andretti sent him into the wall. Sebastian showed his frustration shortly after by giving a pair of middle fingers to Andretti as he drove past. However amid all of this tension all eyes will be on Mike Conway for not only is he on top in Pole standings, but he also has a shot at winning the $50,000 Sonax Award if he delivers a repeat performance on Sunday. The Sonax Award is a special honor given to drivers who manage to sweep any of the three double header races on this years docket. With his road racing talents and experience, Conway has a strong chance of pulling it off and it would be interesting to see if lighting does indeed strike twice at Belle Isle.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 06-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.

- Douglas Adams -

Thanks

Excellent drive and a great "statesman" for Cadillac.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks

Re: Conway Secures Dominating Belle Isle Victory

I would never have picked Conway to have finished in the top ten let alone the win. For the second year in a row Chevrolet appears to be outclassed by Honda in its own race. Penske's cars are no longer a threat for the win which is a real surprise. Honda should win again this afternoon.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks

And, Liddle and Edwards won GT in a Stevenson Camaro finishing ahead of a Ferrari 458.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I would never have picked Conway to have finished in the top ten let alone the win. For the second year in a row Chevrolet appears to be outclassed by Honda in its own race. Penske's cars are no longer a threat for the win which is a real surprise. Honda should win again this afternoon.
    Indeed Conway was a curveball winner for sure but hopefully Team Chevrolet will return the favor later today. However if Conway does get the sweep and the subsequent award for achieving it, it would be an impressive feat only time will tell of course.

- Douglas Adams -

Walking
    Thanks

Thanks for the spoiler alert!!! SMH. Further, considering he was in a Honda why is the front page news when you didn't report the Indy 500 win, which was a Chevy, on the front page. If you guys are gonna to start reporting racing you might want to do some research on how to report racing. You never reveal who won in the headline!!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by vetmstr View Post
    Thanks for the spoiler alert!!! SMH. Further, considering he was in a Honda why is the front page news when you didn't report the Indy 500 win, which was a Chevy, on the front page. If you guys are gonna to start reporting racing you might want to do some research on how to report racing. You never reveal who won in the headline!!!!

Thank you for the passionate post vetmstr, Please allow me to answer your question in two parts.

I wish i can go to the Indy 500 (a childhood dream of mine) but financial and travel constraints prevent me from doing so and thus keep me local. When I first started covering this race last year, I wanted to provide the GMI faithful a unique glimpse into the world of IZOD racing (something that was rarely covered here prior) as well as an opportunity to highlight both Chevrolet and Cadillac's performance divisions in a unique way.

Furthermore I always try to be fair and balanced when covering this event, and while Conway was indeed behind the wheel of a Honda powered race car. The significance of his victory as well as his talent, and the circumstances leading up to it were noteworthy and overshadowed that fact. That said I do try to learn new things every year and refine things accordingly to make it even better for GMI readers.

- Douglas Adams -

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Streak Snapped Pobst Secures First Place Ends O'Connell's Reign As King Of Belle Isle

Streak Snapped Pobst Secures First Place, Ends O'Connell's Reign As King Of Belle Isle
    Pobst Bounces Back From Last Years Early Exit To Win Second Race In Cadillac V-Series Challenge
    www.gminsidenews.com
    June 2, 2013

When Randy Pobst took to the track for the second annual Cadillac V-Series Challenge at Belle Isle in his K-PAX Racing Volvo S60, the veteran racing driver was looking for redemption after a serious crash during last years event forced him out of contention. However as the saying goes time heals all wounds and that was indeed the case for Pobst at this years event. Following his second place finish in yesterday's race, Pobst posted another solid performance and this time, it was enough to hold off Johnny O'Connell and his No.3 CTS-V.R to not only secure a victory, but to also end O'Connells three race winning streak on the twists and turns of Belle Isle which began in 2012 when he won both races. Despite this, O'Connell's 1st and 2nd place victories at this years event are an encouraging example of Cadillac's consistency on this race course as well as the level of talent fielded by the team.

However it was a long and violent day out on the 2.3 mile circuit with numerous crashes and yellow flags occurring throughout the race. One of these smashups involved O'Connell's teammate Andy Pilgrim who suffered a rear end collision in his No.8 CTS-V.R towards the end of the event and was subsequently forced to make an early exit which resulted in the race being finished under the yellow flag. Stay tuned to GMI for the latest coverage from the 2013 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 06-02-2013 at 01:47 PM.

- Douglas Adams -

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 19 F150 2.7

Shinola! Rofl!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast